Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >
Off topic: To celebrate Chinese New Year...
Thread poster: Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jan 27, 2006

Now it seems everybody is granted a Platinum status throughout the website and every verified name lost the check mark!

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 12:35
Chinese to English
News Report - Chinese tennis victory Jan 27, 2006

To celebrate Chinese New Year! Australian Women's Doubles Grand Slam report can be accessed here.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3554006a1823,00.html

(The link won't work - try cutting and pasting as URL.)

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:35
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you, Lesley, for sharing! Jan 27, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

To celebrate Chinese New Year! Australian Women's Doubles Grand Slam report can be accessed here.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3554006a1823,00.html

(The link won't work - try cutting and pasting as URL.)

Thank you, Lesley, for sharing! I just heard it from the news this morning. What an enlightenment to the spirit for the Chinese New Year! I was wondering how the western world would be able to absorb this shocking news. I remembered in the last Olympic Games, when the Chinese female swimmer won a tough swimming competition and took the gold place, the American TV news reporter said, "The Chinese stole the gold." Another thing I heard was the suspect of the Chinese athletes using drugs. I sincerely hope the western visions can be adjusted or corrected slowly but surely in the new year.

Sorry, Jianjun, for posting this wrong topic here. Lesley should have opened a new room for this one.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-01-28 03:59]

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I hope this will help. Jan 27, 2006

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

Now it seems everybody is granted a Platinum status throughout the website and every verified name lost the check mark!

Jianjun,

I was not so sure what you are saying here. Please help to expand on that.

I know that the Platinum status has to be paid for. There is a annual membership fee, and part of it can be paid by using your Browniz points.

The check mark next to you name is a verification sign. If it disappeared, that means you made a change to the information that was once verified. To get the check mark back, you can request for it by applying for it at the following site:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=vid_application

Please let me know if this helps.

Happy Spring Festival! And drink an extra cup for me!

Kevin

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
The Cold War is over... Jan 27, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

Thank you, Lesley, for sharing! I just heard it from the news this morning. What an enlightenment to the spirit for the Chinese New Year! I was wondering how the western world would be able to absorb this shocking news. I remembered in the last Olympic Games, when the Chinese female swimmer won a tough swimming competition and took the gold place, the American TV news reporter said, "The Chinese steals the gold." Another thing I heard was the suspect of the Chinese athletes using drugs. I sincerely hope the western visions can be adjusted or corrected slowly but surely in the new year.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-01-27 19:17]

The Cold War is over (isn't it?)

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Kevin it really happened! Jan 28, 2006

Last night something seemed gone wrong here and I saw everybody's picture and the check mark sign showing VID status disappeared and all people had "Platinum" written under their names. First I thought some people might give themselves a treat as NY gift but later I found it could be! Suddenly everyone went Platinum and at the same time was something incredible. I saved a page to my Yahoo "My Web" to catch this rare happening, but now Yahoo told me they experienced some problem with that cached ... See more
Last night something seemed gone wrong here and I saw everybody's picture and the check mark sign showing VID status disappeared and all people had "Platinum" written under their names. First I thought some people might give themselves a treat as NY gift but later I found it could be! Suddenly everyone went Platinum and at the same time was something incredible. I saved a page to my Yahoo "My Web" to catch this rare happening, but now Yahoo told me they experienced some problem with that cached page. Hope later I can show you guys that thing.

Drink to your health Kevin, although I don't drink wine.

Kevin Yang wrote:

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

Jianjun,

I was not so sure what you are saying here. Please help to expand on that.

I know that the Platinum status has to be paid for. There is a annual membership fee, and part of it can be paid by using your Browniz points.

The check mark next to you name is a verification sign. If it disappeared, that means you made a change to the information that was once verified. To get the check mark back, you can request for it by applying for it at the following site:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=vid_application

Please let me know if this helps.

Happy Spring Festival! And drink an extra cup for me!

Kevin
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Another news report (today) Jan 28, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

I sincerely hope the western visions can be adjusted or corrected slowly but surely in the new year.

Kevin

Another news report:

23-year-old Chinese man busted for drug smuggling.

Can be accessed here:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3554848a10,00.html
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3555337a10,00.html
http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3555551a11,00.html

Chinese heart surgeon charged with supplying drugs.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/stuff/0,2106,3557490a11,00.html

[Edited at 2006-01-28 23:44]

[Edited at 2006-01-29 19:18]

[Edited at 2006-01-31 05:36]

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Are you sure? Jan 28, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

The Cold War is over (isn't it?)

Are you sure? I have trouble to tell by reading your messages.

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Another interesting finding for justifying your biased perception. Jan 28, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Kevin Yang wrote:

I sincerely hope the western visions can be adjusted or corrected slowly but surely in the new year.

Kevin

Another news report:

Can be accessed here:

Another interesting finding for justifying your biased perception. I guess his clienteles are not the Chinese there. He at least helped you to understand that you have a large drug market in New Zealand. When you catch a whore, perhaps you should also do something to your Johns. When you keep trashes indoors, perhaps you have to get used to the smell.

Kevin

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Perhaps we need a Lin Zexu...也许我们需要个林则徐... Jan 28, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Another news report:

Can be accessed here:

Another interesting finding for justifying your biased perception. I guess his clienteles are not the Chinese there. He at least helped you to understand that you have a large drug market in New Zealand. When you catch a whore, perhaps you should also do something to your Johns. When you keep trashes indoors, perhaps you have to get used to the smell.

Kevin

Perhaps we need a Lin Zexu...也许我们需要个林则徐...

[Edited at 2006-01-28 23:46]

Yi-Hua Shih
Yi-Hua Shih  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 08:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
hi, Lesley and Kevin Jan 28, 2006

Happy Dog's Year.

I think both of you could enjoy the cool spring smell in each of your country. Try not to become cold nor hot here. After all, this is cyberspace, isn't it? We don't see each other in face. Don't let just 'words' and simple lines interrupt our mood no matter where we are.

Btw, I personally think that Google can do everything it wants to get profit and business done, as long
... See more
Happy Dog's Year.

I think both of you could enjoy the cool spring smell in each of your country. Try not to become cold nor hot here. After all, this is cyberspace, isn't it? We don't see each other in face. Don't let just 'words' and simple lines interrupt our mood no matter where we are.

Btw, I personally think that Google can do everything it wants to get profit and business done, as long as they are legal. It is not any of the NGOs, it is a profit-oriented enterprise. It has the right to make any decision for business' sake. I don't think the limit it willingly put to itself is improper or coward behavior.

Let's know how to make money. As long as we are "legal" to our own conscience!
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Good thinking, but, there is a problem. Jan 29, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Good thinking, but the problem is that Mr. Lin is a dead Chinese man now. You might be able to pick up his spirit if you try hard enough. I am afraid he could not help you much to fight your drug war. However, you are always more than welcome to learn from Mr. Lin and take this opportunity to understand how miserable it was when Mr. Lin and his people had to fight their drug war, which should sound pretty familiar to you.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-01-29 07:17]

Xiaoping Fu
Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Chinese to English
+ ...
春节祝福 Jan 29, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Another news report:

Can be accessed here:

Kevin

嗨,Lesley:

首先,祝愿你狗年吉祥,少嗔,少怒,少疑,少妒,多喜,多乐,多财,多福!万事如意,笑口常开!

其次,谨进几句忠言:

一、两个华人毒贩子被捕,没什么特别的。这种事在全世界每天都在发生,只是这次恰好是两个华人而已,不值得做大文章。

二、揭疮疤也好,挑刺也罢,别在这个日子行吗?大过年的,说点儿别的不好吗?除非你压根不想与华人做朋友。

三、林则徐与这事更扯不上瓜葛。因为两个毒贩背后没有政府的支持和炮舰的保护。那段历史,中国人都不提,你提它有意思吗?

四、多谈点翻译,少扯点政治和种族的纷争,好吗?

[Edited at 2006-01-29 03:25]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Sorry, I see what you mean... Jan 29, 2006

Xiaoping Fu wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Another news report:

Can be accessed here:

Kevin

嗨,Lesley:

首先,祝愿你狗年吉祥,少嗔,少怒,少疑,少妒,多喜,多乐,多财,多福!万事如意,笑口常开!

其次,谨进几句忠言:

一、两个华人毒贩子被捕,没什么特别的。这种事在全世界每天都在发生,只是这次恰好是两个华人而已,不值得做大文章。

二、揭疮疤也好,挑刺也罢,别在这个日子行吗?大过年的,说点儿别的不好吗?除非你压根不想与华人做朋友。

三、林则徐与这事更扯不上瓜葛。因为两个毒贩背后没有政府的支持和炮舰的保护。那段历史,中国人都不提,你提它有意思吗?

四、多谈点翻译,少扯点政治和种族的纷争,好吗?

[Edited at 2006-01-29 03:25]

sorry, I didn't realise it was a problem. I thought Kevin had changed the topic to 'bias in the Western media'. I'll open a new thread so we can continue that discussion elsewhere...

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
Sorry Google is on another thread...? Jan 29, 2006

stone118 wrote:

Btw, I personally think that Google can do everything it wants to get profit and business done, as long as they are legal. It is not any of the NGOs, it is a profit-oriented enterprise. It has the right to make any decision for business' sake. I don't think the limit it willingly put to itself is improper or coward behavior.

Let's know how to make money. As long as we are "legal" to our own conscience!

Sorry 'Google' is on another thread. Kevin and I were talking about bias in the Western media in 2006...I was posting articles relating to China as they came to hand...

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

To celebrate Chinese New Year...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »