Mobile menu

Off topic: Question / Chinese Male Given Names
Thread poster: Steven Battisti

Steven Battisti  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:14
Japanese to English
Feb 8, 2006

Hi, sorry for the English post, but I'm a Japanese translator.

I'm looking for a large list of male given names, romanized, for a personal project. (This is not a job.)

Does anyone know where I could find such a list? I've tried baby name sites, but they usually only have 20 or so Chinese names. I'm looking for at least several hundred names.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Steve Battisti

Direct link Reply with quote

Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Steven, Feb 9, 2006

They promise 1000 such names, but I failed twice to open the big file here. Give it a try: http://www.lechinois.com/en/firstname/firstname1000.html

Steven Battisti wrote:

Hi, sorry for the English post, but I'm a Japanese translator.

I'm looking for a large list of male given names, romanized, for a personal project. (This is not a job.)

Does anyone know where I could find such a list? I've tried baby name sites, but they usually only have 20 or so Chinese names. I'm looking for at least several hundred names.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Steve Battisti

Steven Battisti  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:14
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Lechinois Site Feb 9, 2006

Jianjun Zhang wrote:
They promise 1000 such names, but I failed twice to open the big file here. Give it a try: http://www.lechinois.com/en/firstname/firstname1000.html

Hi, thanks for the link. I tried this site, but it looks like it's mainly Chinese translations of Western names. What I am looking for are authentic Chinese male names (like Jianjun, for example).

Any other suggestions? Thanks very much!

Steve

Wenjer Leuschel  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 00:14
English to Chinese
+ ...
Different ways of naming Feb 9, 2006

Hi Steven,

Chinese names are different from Western names, which are usually common names like William, Robert or Oscar. As you might be aware of, each Chinese character (Kanzi in the sense of 音讀) has some meanings (in the sense of 訓讀). For this reason, we usually make up our names with character combinations which could express the parient's wish for the child. For instance, Jianjun would be "building up an army (建軍)" which is not just a name but a wish. Or, my name Wenjer (文哲) is definitely a wish of my father: He wished that I could eventually become a "literarily thoughtful man."

Such wishes are expressed in Western names differently, because the Westerners have "common names" while we don't. A German might give a child the name "Adolf" or "Siegfried". An American might give a child the name "Bob" or "John". People under Chinese culture, or even under Japanese culture, wouldn't do that way. We might give names just for fun or for some special meanings. For instance, Yamamoto Isoroku was born when his father became 56 year old and for the commemoration of the father's age he was named 五十六. Or, the father of a friend of mine has the name 樂不樂, just because her grandfather made fun of their family name 飛高 --- 飛高樂不樂 is a really a funny name for a Japanese. The same could happen in Chinese.

I hope my explanation helps a bit. Good luck with your search.

Wenjer

P.S. 建軍 might be born in the year when an army was build up. The name might just be a commemoration of the event, like what happened to 山本五十六. Anyway, a Chinese name or a Japanese name could be made of a lot of different reasons/meanings.

[Edited at 2006-02-09 02:24]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Question / Chinese Male Given Names

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs