WHat is the difference between a Sole proprietor and a freelancer?
Thread poster: jyuan_us
jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:50
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 28, 2006

I read Kevin's posting about a year ago, from which I understood clearly about different types of companies in the USA. Now, I'd like to know what the difference is between a Sole proprietor and a freelancer?

My accountant told me that a sole proprietor will get his/her Form 1099 with a company name while a freelancer get it with his/her real name on it.

This answer equals to no answer at all actually.

I'd welcome any input about the difference, if there is
... See more
I read Kevin's posting about a year ago, from which I understood clearly about different types of companies in the USA. Now, I'd like to know what the difference is between a Sole proprietor and a freelancer?

My accountant told me that a sole proprietor will get his/her Form 1099 with a company name while a freelancer get it with his/her real name on it.

This answer equals to no answer at all actually.

I'd welcome any input about the difference, if there is any. If there is no difference at all, why bother to file for a sole-proprietor type of company?
Collapse

Lin Yang
Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
就我能想到的。。。 Feb 28, 2006

其实就个人所得税还有liability来讲没有太大区别,但
1、做freelancer你不用交各种费用,而且自由;sole-proprietor有登记注册和营运相关的费用(还有paper work的麻烦), 好像每年几百块钱要交给州里 (加州)。

2、但是你如果是sole-proprietor,有自己business的名称,那你现在的做的一切都是在为这个名字增加credit,包括你的服务质量和客户群,将来要是自己不想做了,打算买掉这个business,这些就能转化成实实在在的美金了。作为freelancer则没有这个好处。

这只是我能想到的,具体的你最好是问专业人士。

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
犹如如梦方醒 Feb 28, 2006

gladbeach wrote:

2、但是你如果是sole-proprietor,有自己business的名称,那你现在的做的一切都是在为这个名字增加credit,包括你的服务质量和客户群,将来要是自己不想做了,打算买掉这个business,这些就能转化成实实在在的美金了。作为freelancer则没有这个好处。

等我退休了把jyuan_us卖了不知有没有人买, 呵呵。

jyuan_us
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
个人可不可以DBA XXX? Feb 28, 2006

gladbeach wrote:

这只是我能想到的,具体的你最好是问专业人士。

AKA XXX不违法, 但作为FREELANCER把自己DBA 成XXX了, 也许就违法了。

Lin Yang
Lin Yang  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:50
English to Chinese
+ ...
不太清楚。 Feb 28, 2006

jyuan_us wrote:

AKA XXX不违法, 但作为FREELANCER把自己DBA 成XXX了, 也许就违法了。

但有一点可以肯定,如果你没正式注册business的名称,即使可以DBA XXX,那到最后可能是为他人做嫁衣裳,别人可以注册一个同样的名字。况且你也不知道之前是不是已经有人在用这个名字了。

Xu Dongjun
Xu Dongjun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 11:50
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
好主意 Mar 3, 2006

说不定到时就是个全美知名品牌呢~~~^_^

jyuan_us wrote:

gladbeach wrote:

等我退休了把jyuan_us卖了不知有没有人买, 呵呵。

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

WHat is the difference between a Sole proprietor and a freelancer?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »