https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/44531-i_fully_support_kevin_and_his_work.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
I fully support Kevin and his work
Thread poster: Libin PhD
Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Apr 2, 2006

I would like to voice my support for Kevin and his work. Dear fellow Chinese translators, if you agree with me, please give your support to Kevin by replying to this message. Your support (or non-support) will also help the administrative personnel of Proz.com to get a clear picture of what is going on here. I feel bothered by a nagging member here who seems to dislike whatever we are talking about. If things keep going on like this, I don't think I will enjoy coming here anymore and will renew ... See more
I would like to voice my support for Kevin and his work. Dear fellow Chinese translators, if you agree with me, please give your support to Kevin by replying to this message. Your support (or non-support) will also help the administrative personnel of Proz.com to get a clear picture of what is going on here. I feel bothered by a nagging member here who seems to dislike whatever we are talking about. If things keep going on like this, I don't think I will enjoy coming here anymore and will renew my membership in the future.

I think it is very nice for Kevin to add English translations to the topics as some of the posts are in English. As the moderate, Kevin has the power to do whatever he deems appropriate. I personally think that it is considerate of Kevin to add the translation for the benefit of other members who do not read Chinese. They might be interested in reading the posts in English. Without the translation of the topics, they will not know whether they are interested in a particular topic or not.

Whether the translations are correct English or not, I think they serve their purpose just fine. We are here engaged in discussion, not to set an example for grammatically correct English.

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

I have complained already. Perhaps I will make a further complaint. IMO a once fine community is being destroyed by bullying and nastiness and intolerance, much of it instigated by the moderator.

[Edited at 2006-04-02 01:02]
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 21:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Here is my voice. Apr 2, 2006

Libin, Ph.D. wrote:

I would like to voice my support for Kevin and his work. Dear fellow Chinese translators, if you agree with me, please give your support to Kevin by replying to this message. Your support (or non-support) will also help the administrative personnel of Proz.com to get a clear picture of what is going on here. I feel bothered by a nagging member here who seems to dislike whatever we are talking about. If things keep going on like this, I don't think I will enjoy coming here anymore and will renew my membership in the future.

I think it is very nice for Kevin to add English translations to the topics as some of the posts are in English. As the moderate, Kevin has the power to do whatever he deems appropriate. I personally think that it is considerate of Kevin to add the translation for the benefit of other members who do not read Chinese. They might be interested in reading the posts in English. Without the translation of the topics, they will not know whether they are interested in a particular topic or not.

Whether the translations are correct English or not, I think they serve their purpose just fine. We are here engaged in discussion, not to set an example for grammatically correct English.

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

I have complained already. Perhaps I will make a further complaint. IMO a once fine community is being destroyed by bullying and nastiness and intolerance, much of it instigated by the moderator.

We all know that nobody is perfect and that everybody is able to retrospect and correct his/her behavior. Different opinions are usual and normal, but a right tone to communicate for a common ground is essential for a forum. Kevin has done a good job in moderating our discussion. He has my support in this issue as well.

Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Without any doubt, Kevin is a great moderator. Apr 2, 2006

Through my observation, I believe Kevin is doing an oustanding job as a moderator and shows equal respect to each colleague and his/her view. I appreciate very much his great contribution to our community or say this forum.

As a member of Proz for more than 5 years and a plantinum one for more than 4 years, I believe I have the eligibility and authority to remark on Kevin's job.

I haven't bidden projects seriously through Proz.com for more than two years due to my he
... See more
Through my observation, I believe Kevin is doing an oustanding job as a moderator and shows equal respect to each colleague and his/her view. I appreciate very much his great contribution to our community or say this forum.

As a member of Proz for more than 5 years and a plantinum one for more than 4 years, I believe I have the eligibility and authority to remark on Kevin's job.

I haven't bidden projects seriously through Proz.com for more than two years due to my heavy schedule. The forum is the only place I visited frequently because with Kevin as the moderator, it sets up a great platform for us to make friends and share ideas.

during our interactions with other translators, opinion conflicts and debates are quite normal and inevitable. such things happen in other forums every day. what we can do is to find the problem with ourselves rather than keep complaining.

It is hard to imagine what is the result that Lesley would like to see.

[Edited at 2006-04-02 02:18]
Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Fully support Kevin and his work as a Moderator. Apr 2, 2006

Dear All,

Kevin is fully qualified as a moderator for this forum. This is evident through his hard work, dedication and time spent in the forum. Through his efforts and supports from all colleagues, this forum has become one of the hottest non-English forums.

Adding an English title to the posts is nothing wrong. It is one way to express our desire to let colleagues who don't understand Chinese know what's going on in the Chinese forum and provide a channel for better c
... See more
Dear All,

Kevin is fully qualified as a moderator for this forum. This is evident through his hard work, dedication and time spent in the forum. Through his efforts and supports from all colleagues, this forum has become one of the hottest non-English forums.

Adding an English title to the posts is nothing wrong. It is one way to express our desire to let colleagues who don't understand Chinese know what's going on in the Chinese forum and provide a channel for better communication.

Never for one day Lesley is NOT warmly welcomed in this virtual community. But she still stubbornly refuses to respect Chinese customs and refuses to communicate with Chinese colleagues.

Furthermore, she has been trying very hard to disrupt the harmony of this nice discussion board and accuses Kevin with her biased, unfounded and unjustified craps.

Regards from
Jianjun
Collapse

Xiaoping Fu
Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 06:35
Chinese to English
+ ...
support Apr 2, 2006

I think the Chinese forum is runing fine, and Kevin has done a great job as a moderator. He has my full support.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:35
English to Chinese
+ ...
Needless to say, I totally support Kevin! Apr 2, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Lesley,

I am sorry to point out that it is YOU who often violate ProZ rules by posting improper, offensive and even discriminatory messages here on this forum. As a moderator, Kevin tried very hard to stop your wrong doing. That may explain why you have such a resentment about him. Since you filed complaints, in order to help the ProZ management make an investigation if they deem necessary, would you please do the following first?

1. From now on, do not delete or modify any of your messages you have posted here on this forum;
2. Please put back all the messages you suddenly deleted overnight on 2005-10-24. You know very well what messages I am talking about.

You deleted many of your improper messages and then filed a complaint asking for an investigation. I don't think such an action is fair and decent! Thank you!

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
Kevin, the Good and Respectable Moderator, you have my support for sure. Apr 2, 2006

One pithy saying: Dogs bark, but the caravan goes on.

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Thank you for voicing your supports! Apr 2, 2006

Dear Fellow Translators,

Today is April 1. It is the April Fool’s Day here in America. No jokes, please!

I am very touched. I appreciate very much that Bin Li brought this topic up and help us check the reality. I never doubt for a moment about your support to my work. Perhaps this is really not necessary. Let’s not make everyone speak out; the result would certainly make her embarrassed. If I were as what she depicted, I would have not been here. Trust me; ProZ.c
... See more
Dear Fellow Translators,

Today is April 1. It is the April Fool’s Day here in America. No jokes, please!

I am very touched. I appreciate very much that Bin Li brought this topic up and help us check the reality. I never doubt for a moment about your support to my work. Perhaps this is really not necessary. Let’s not make everyone speak out; the result would certainly make her embarrassed. If I were as what she depicted, I would have not been here. Trust me; ProZ.com would not tolerate anything like that.

To this date, everything I did/said/have been doing is for the work and for protecting the best interest of the majority peers. I cannot promise I can make all the people happy all the times, but it is very normal and understandable if there are a few unhappy campers trying to make a scene. Please do not let them ruin your mood and your happy time to be here using the services of ProZ.com. If you left this place or stop using the services of ProZ.com due to one unpleasant individual, it will be my loss and the loss of the ProZ.com, but she will be delighted.

I think she is not just challenging my qualification, but more likely questioning my integrity. Her concern is totally unnecessary. The peers would know better and let me know long time ago if I have any wrong doing. I am here is to uphold a principle, that is, everyone should respect each other. If I see any individual throwing insulting remarks toward the Chinese people, or picking a fight with the peers, I will make her or him understood this is a wrong place for doing that type of things.

Please keep monitoring my performance and give me suggestions for improvement anytime!

Best Regards,

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-04-02 04:05]
Collapse

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 01:35
Chinese to English
Those deletions (again) Apr 2, 2006

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Lesley,

I am sorry to point out that it is YOU who often violate ProZ rules by posting improper, offensive and even discriminatory messages here on this forum. As a moderator, Kevin tried very hard to stop your wrong doing. That may explain why you have such a resentment about him. Since you filed complaints, in order to help the ProZ management make an investigation if they deem necessary, would you please do the following first?

1. From now on, do not delete or modify any of your messages you have posted here on this forum;
2. Please put back all the messages you suddenly deleted overnight on 2005-10-24. You know very well what messages I am talking about.

You deleted many of your improper messages and then filed a complaint asking for an investigation. I don't think such an action is fair and decent! Thank you!

http://www.proz.com/topic/37928

Those 'terrible deletions' are in this thread. You will see there is nothing improper at all and that they were done as a courtesy. All the relevant comments are in thread still (in other's comments). Anyone who believes there was anything improper has misunderstood the situation. My reasons were explained very clearly. Besides the Forums have the facility for deletion. I don't believe anyone should be harassed for using it. The matter of these deletions of mine has been brought up many times. What are people's motives really in revisiting it again?

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
This thread is for responding to your comments you made lately about me. Apr 2, 2006

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

http://www.proz.com/topic/37928

Those 'terrible deletions' are in this thread. You will see there is nothing improper at all and that they were done as a courtesy. All the relevant comments are in thread still (in other's comments). Anyone who believes there was anything improper has misunderstood the situation. My reasons were explained very clearly. Besides the Forums have the facility for deletion. I don't believe anyone should be harassed for using it. The matter of these deletions of mine has been brought up many times. What are people's motives really in revisiting it again?

Lesley,

This thread is for responding to your comments you made lately about me. Please stay on track. You explained your odd behaviors with all kinds of reasons in the past and also in this thread. The peers can make their own choices to believe you or not. Please read the peers' responses here and focus on thinking about your part and what you have been doing. I hope you can figure out what went wrong by yourself. The translators here, including myself, will continuously welcome you as part of this community. I hope our kindness can warm your heart and help you to be a contributing member of this community. Remember, you do not have to be pleasant, but be sure to be fair and respectful to the peers and the Chinese people. If you choose to be miserable, I am ready to deal with you, too.

Kevin

[Edited at 2006-04-02 06:19]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 01:35
Chinese to English
Please do not lecture peers. Do not insult. Please be careful not to slander. Apr 2, 2006

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley,

This thread is for responding to your comments you made lately about me. Please stay on track. You explained your odd behaviors with all kinds of reasons in the past and also in this thread. The peers can make their own choices to believe you or not.
Kevin

Are you suggesting I am devious and lying? On what basis? Please do not lecture peers, do not insult them, and please be careful not to slander.

I consider myself an honourable and honest person. I do not have 'odd' behaviours, I do not have 'all kinds of reasons'. These are Chinese 贬义词 codewords, we can all recognise them for what they are, they have a well-recognised rhetorical purpose.

Indeed, people can judge for themselves.

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Professional, courteous, and always encouraging towards members Apr 2, 2006

...that's how I would sum up Kevin's work here as a moderator. He has my full support .

Having been absent, I really don't know what developed to make Lesley so disgruntled. Frankly, I frequently had differences with her on quite a number of things during the short period of my participation here last year, so I'm going to refrain from being overly critical. Let's just say, no offense, but in my opinion too much self-confidence and self-righteousness is not always a good thing.... See more
...that's how I would sum up Kevin's work here as a moderator. He has my full support .

Having been absent, I really don't know what developed to make Lesley so disgruntled. Frankly, I frequently had differences with her on quite a number of things during the short period of my participation here last year, so I'm going to refrain from being overly critical. Let's just say, no offense, but in my opinion too much self-confidence and self-righteousness is not always a good thing.

[Edited at 2006-04-02 16:49]
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Indeed, we can judge for ourselves. Apr 2, 2006

Lesley,

Yes, indeed, we can judge for ourselves. Your postings often reflect your political and racial bias towards China and the Chinese people, which often hurt the feelings of the Chinese translators in this community including those who are from Taiwan, and often forced the discussions on this forum into political direction. Those of your postings are against ProZ rules, aren't they? Kevin and other peers tried very hard to stop your wrong doing. However, when peers expresse
... See more
Lesley,

Yes, indeed, we can judge for ourselves. Your postings often reflect your political and racial bias towards China and the Chinese people, which often hurt the feelings of the Chinese translators in this community including those who are from Taiwan, and often forced the discussions on this forum into political direction. Those of your postings are against ProZ rules, aren't they? Kevin and other peers tried very hard to stop your wrong doing. However, when peers expressed their objections, you called them personnel attacks or insults. That is unfair and unreasonable. In my experience, you were "attacked" just because you launched your attacks fist. Below is just one example:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
Take a look at this, another instance where national celebration (Shenzhou) was turned in the direction of national jingoism. http://www.proz.com/topic/37928?start=0 It's disappointing.

I asked you several times to provide just ONE example that could be regarded as jingoism. I don't know why you just ignored my requests. No wonder the peers called your behavior as "hit and run".

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Kevin Yang wrote:

Lesley,

This thread is for responding to your comments you made lately about me. Please stay on track. You explained your odd behaviors with all kinds of reasons in the past and also in this thread. The peers can make their own choices to believe you or not.
Kevin

Are you suggesting I am devious and lying? On what basis? Please do not lecture peers, do not insult them, and please be careful not to slander.

I consider myself an honourable and honest person. I do not have 'odd' behaviours, I do not have 'all kinds of reasons'. These are Chinese 贬义词 codewords, we can all recognise them for what they are, they have a well-recognised rhetorical purpose.

Indeed, people can judge for themselves.

[Edited at 2006-04-03 15:12]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I fully support Kevin and his work

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »