Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 14:41
Chinese to English
+ ...
It does support 10-way conferrence May 7, 2006

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

Donglai Lou wrote:

I just checked SKYPE and Yahoo's online help and found that SKYPE support conferences of 5 people only and Yahoo messenger doesn't support voice conference at all (only text conference).

any solution is welcome.

Right, that's a problem! Skype doesn't support more than 5 persons. However, there must be a way, if you really want to hold a conference. Probably, we have to split into groups for several stages of a conference.

Try this site. You will get 10-way conferrence in no time

http://zeal.haliluya.org/blog/2006/03/05/允许10方通话的skype-patch/

I believe this should give the word "hacker" a positive connotation.

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:41
English to Chinese
+ ...
That would be my bedtime... May 7, 2006

Anyway, I'll definitely give her a call whenever she's available...

Wish you guys a very successful online Chinese powwow!

Jianjun Zhang wrote:
What about 1 PM instead? Then it'll be easier for colleagues in the USA to attend (at least pacific time)!

Donglai Lou wrote:
If no objection is heard, the Powwow will start at 2 PM May 13 Beijing time.

Shaun Yeo wrote:
Then I will have the perfect excuse to buy that long overdue Creative webcam

weiwei wrote:
Was just thinking... what if we hold an online Chinese POWWOW through MSN/Yahoo Messenger?

zhoudan wrote:
Nice idea, but i need to buy a webcam first (and learn how to use it)

redred wrote:
This idea is fantastic and creative!

Angus Woo wrote
A great idea ...Try this site. You will get 10-way conferrence in no time

pkchan wrote
Yes, certainly I'm delighted to do that even if I don't have a webcam.

jyuan_us wrote
Can you buy me a webcam? haha

Last Hermit wrote
ProZ.com Webhosting service offers, aside from many, a feature called 'Chatroom'. Try this one first.

Wenjer Leuschel wrote
Good Idea!

[Bearbeitet um 2006-05-07 04:18]

Donglai Lou (X)
Donglai Lou (X)  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Let's leave the night to the Pacific! May 7, 2006

If 1 or 2 pm is a bit awkward for a few people.

how about 10 pm Beijing time. it would be 12am Syndey, 11 pm Tokyo, 3 pm Frankfurt, 2pm London, 10am New York and 7 am San Francisco.

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
No. It will be 1pm in London. May 7, 2006

BST (British Summer Time) begins from late March to late October.

Donglai Lou wrote:

how about 10 pm Beijing time. it would be 12am Syndey, 11 pm Tokyo, 3 pm Frankfurt, 2pm London, 10am New York and 7 am San Francisco.

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:41
English to Chinese
+ ...
Duplicated May 7, 2006

Deleted due to duplication. Sorry.

[Edited at 2006-05-07 23:43]

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
Follow up again. May 7, 2006

Donglai and I discussed our first virtual Powwow again last night and we also tried a number of other resources. By far, Yahoo Messenger is still our only best choice, which provides text, audio and video chats with theoretically unlimited participants.

To allow the maximum possible colleagues to attend, Donglai would like to sacrifice his rest time and suggest the first Powwow be held at 10 P.M. on this Saturday, May 13th Beijing Time. To the best of my knowledge, that would be:... See more
Donglai and I discussed our first virtual Powwow again last night and we also tried a number of other resources. By far, Yahoo Messenger is still our only best choice, which provides text, audio and video chats with theoretically unlimited participants.

To allow the maximum possible colleagues to attend, Donglai would like to sacrifice his rest time and suggest the first Powwow be held at 10 P.M. on this Saturday, May 13th Beijing Time. To the best of my knowledge, that would be:

2 P.M. May 13th GMT
3 P.M. May 13th in France, Spain, Germany
4 P.M. May 13th in Finland, Greece, Israel
7 A.M. May 13th Pacific Time, USA
9 A.M. May 13th Central Time, USA
10 A.M. May 13th Eastern Time, USA
11 A.M. May 13th in Canada
10 P.M. May 13th in Singapore
10 P.M. May 13th in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Macao
12 P.M. May 13th in Australia

If you would like to attend the meeting, please make sure to download Yahoo Messenger, address: http://messenger.yahoo.com/

After installation, please register as a user and contact Donglai through Proz.com with your Yahoo! messenger ID. He will add you to buddy list.

We have two plans:

1. Yahoo conferencing
2. Yahoo empty chatrooms

More details are to come from Donglai... Thanks for your patience.

[Edited at 2006-05-08 00:08]
Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
Time again. May 8, 2006

Betty, please check out the new time schedule! Donglai sacrificed his rest time to make sure all of us can meet! Make sure to come meet us!

Chinoise wrote:

Anyway, I'll definitely give her a call whenever she's available...

Wish you guys a very successful online Chinese powwow!

Jianjun Zhang wrote:
What about 1 PM instead? Then it'll be easier for colleagues in the USA to attend (at least pacific time)!

Donglai Lou wrote:
If no objection is heard, the Powwow will start at 2 PM May 13 Beijing time.

Shaun Yeo wrote:
Then I will have the perfect excuse to buy that long overdue Creative webcam

weiwei wrote:
Was just thinking... what if we hold an online Chinese POWWOW through MSN/Yahoo Messenger?

zhoudan wrote:
Nice idea, but i need to buy a webcam first (and learn how to use it)

redred wrote:
This idea is fantastic and creative!

Angus Woo wrote
A great idea ...Try this site. You will get 10-way conferrence in no time

pkchan wrote
Yes, certainly I'm delighted to do that even if I don't have a webcam.

jyuan_us wrote
Can you buy me a webcam? haha

Last Hermit wrote
ProZ.com Webhosting service offers, aside from many, a feature called 'Chatroom'. Try this one first.

Wenjer Leuschel wrote
Good Idea!

[Bearbeitet um 2006-05-07 04:18]

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Jianjun, Donglai, Weiwei, Zhoudan, Shaun, Angus, Redred, PKChan, JYuan, LHermit, Wenjer, et al: May 8, 2006

Wow - that sounds so exciting!

I will send my Yahoo Messenger ID to Donglai shortly. Hope to see you all there, folks!

To all our dear colleagues: Welcome to our first International Chinese Powwow---It's online and FREE!!!

Jianjun Zhang wrote:
Betty, please check out the new time schedule! Donglai sacrificed his rest time to make sure all of us can meet! Make sure to come meet us!

[Edited at 2006-05-08 02:23]

Donglai Lou (X)
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
thanks for the correction. May 8, 2006

Last Hermit wrote:

BST (British Summer Time) begins from late March to late October.

Donglai Lou wrote:

the adjustment of daylight saving time awlays make me confused, particularly when I am in Australia. I have to get used to two-way adjustment

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
Additionally, May 8, 2006

I am sure Weiwei will be more than happy to meet more of our sisters known through ProZ.com, so will I. Therefore, chance, gladbeach(Lin), Joyce, Li Cullen, Stone118, Carol CHUNG, Bo Smith, Li-chuan, jerraine, Dolly, Ji Runju, Red & Black, Red_Lily,Marta, icg, anastasia, Hongsang, Tingting(2), Yi Yuan, Chooi, Liukeyu, Stefanie, Beth ,Francie Kao, Weihong, Angeline, daisy0079, Erin, Shu Zhang, Jenny(2), Iris , Nicole, Xiaomei Tian, Elizabeth , Malgorzata, RaffaellaG, Louisa, Jun Shao Hewitt,... See more
I am sure Weiwei will be more than happy to meet more of our sisters known through ProZ.com, so will I. Therefore, chance, gladbeach(Lin), Joyce, Li Cullen, Stone118, Carol CHUNG, Bo Smith, Li-chuan, jerraine, Dolly, Ji Runju, Red & Black, Red_Lily,Marta, icg, anastasia, Hongsang, Tingting(2), Yi Yuan, Chooi, Liukeyu, Stefanie, Beth ,Francie Kao, Weihong, Angeline, daisy0079, Erin, Shu Zhang, Jenny(2), Iris , Nicole, Xiaomei Tian, Elizabeth , Malgorzata, RaffaellaG, Louisa, Jun Shao Hewitt,lilxnan,Sammunns, tvera , etc.... come and join us, please!---we will have a lot of fun!

(Chance: The Paris Powwow is still in the air, but this global one is just around the corner. Cheers!)

[Bearbeitet um 2006-05-12 02:06]
Collapse

Donglai Lou (X)
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Time to action May 8, 2006

Oops! Betty tries to invite so many ladies to the gathering. I must dress myself up and buy a handsome mask.:)

Let’s go down to business directly. We have designed two modes for this Powwow. The preferred one is to occupy a Yahoo chatroom without many existing chatters. We will announce which chartroom to enter 10 minutes before the Powwow by Yahoo instant message or via this forum. In case that the chatroom is temporarily available, we will use the conference function of the mes
... See more
Oops! Betty tries to invite so many ladies to the gathering. I must dress myself up and buy a handsome mask.:)

Let’s go down to business directly. We have designed two modes for this Powwow. The preferred one is to occupy a Yahoo chatroom without many existing chatters. We will announce which chartroom to enter 10 minutes before the Powwow by Yahoo instant message or via this forum. In case that the chatroom is temporarily available, we will use the conference function of the messenger.

If there is any annoying person, you can set him/her to “ignore user”, so you will not hear what he say or type.

Here is a basic instruction for you to get familiar with the tool we will use for Powwow.

1. Download the latest version of the messenger from messenger.yahoo.com. If you already have a previous version of this communication kit, please make sure it comes with the voice function. Otherwise, please update it to Messenger 7.5.

2. Once you get it installed in your PC, please sign yourself up with Yahoo and get your Yahoo ID and the super free yahoo mailbox. Then send your ID to me at [email protected] or [email protected]. I share it with Jianjun.

3. If a conference will be held, you will receive an invitation when we start it and just accept it to join us.

4. If a chatroom is used, please go to “messenger menu” of Yahoo messenger and select Yahoo chat\ join a room.

The “join room” windows will pop up where you can select the specified chatroom.

5. here is a graphic on how to use chatroom interface.

6. here, you can set up your webcam.

should there be anything unclear, please feel free to contact me.

please do familiarize yourself about how to use our platform.

[Edited at 2006-05-08 08:39]
Collapse

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
I'm in May 8, 2006

Dear all,

Greetings from BARCELONA!

Wow, I see that everything has been planned now. I'm still on holiday and the internet in the hotel room is cranky. I'll go through the forum postings when I'm home on Wednesday. However, I'll definitely take part in the POWWOW. Till then...

Denyce

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Have fun! May 8, 2006

Chinoise wrote:
Hi Jianjun, Donglai, Weiwei, Zhoudan, Shaun, Angus, Redred, PKChan, JYuan, LHermit, Wenjer, et al:

Wow - that sounds so exciting!

I will send my Yahoo Messenger ID to Donglai shortly. Hope to see you all there, folks!

To all our dear colleagues: Welcome to our first International Chinese Powwow---It's online and FREE!!!

I am very sorry that I might not be able to participate this time. My main computer went broken since last Saturday night. I have been trying to get a passable substitute in vain since then. My notebook cannot make it for short of something I don't know. However, I will try to be there without video. It all depends on the progress of the reparation of my main computer.

No matter whether I would be there with you or not, I wish you all have fun in the meeting.

- Wenjer

Chinoise
English to Chinese
+ ...
Awesome! May 8, 2006

Your participation would be highly appreciated.

A BIG WARM WELCOME to everyone!

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:
Chinoise wrote:
However, I will try to be there without video. It all depends on the progress of the reparation of my main computer.
- Wenjer

[Edited at 2006-05-08 23:39]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
I will try. May 9, 2006

Chinoise wrote:

Your participation would be highly appreciated.

A BIG WARM WELCOME to everyone!

How do we say "屋漏偏逢連夜雨" in English?I would like to meet everybody, but the problems I am facing are nasty. I had only two not-so-big projects on going and took time to install a German system on my main computer. When the reboot was commensing, a blackout happened and the BIOS was shot at the moment. Warranty is about three months past and the manufacturer doesn't produce that type of MB any longer. Spare parts are available only for warranty cases. "Pech!" as Germans would say, which means "bad luck."

But I cannot afford bad luck at the moment, because there come several new projects and one of the old ones needs to be corrected. My notebook computer can do some jobs which do not need the accumulated TMs, but the one which needs to be corrected demands several TMs. So, I rush to a friend who has the same type of computer as I do and stay at his for two days by now. In the meanwhile, I have ordered another computer, a server, and have been trying to persuade one of the service centers of the manufacturer to provide me a BIOS.

Darn it! It's not a big deal to hand out a BIOS! But I have to keep smiling and perhaps begging. I wish I got the BIOS today and see if I can fix the computer before the Meeting starts. If not, I will make a skype call to Jianjun and Donglai during the Meeting.

weiwei wrote:
Dear all,

Greetings from BARCELONA!

Wow, I see that everything has been planned now. I'm still on holiday and the internet in the hotel room is cranky. I'll go through the forum postings when I'm home on Wednesday. However, I'll definitely take part in the POWWOW. Till then...

Denyce

WeiWei, since you are in Barcelona, would you please do me a favor: try to find someone whose mother tongue is Katalán and ask him/her how would he/she pronounce /g/ in Katalán, especially the /g/ in "Sitges". I suspect that the /t/ and /g/ sounds must run into each other. I am eager to know if the natives could confirm my suspect.

Thanks and have a good time in Katalonia!

- Wenjer

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

来个 POWWOW 大聚会

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »