Mobile menu

English is made the "National" lanuage of the U.S.
Thread poster: pkchan

pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:02
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
May 20, 2006

On Thursday, May 18, 2006, the US Senate declared that English is the "national" language and that it is also the "common and unifying" tongue of the United States. After all these years, they suddenly realized that they didn't have a "national" language, and now they need one. What a joke! What language or languages the U.S. has been using for the past 230 years? Definitely, German was one of them.

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Creech  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
+ ...
Jumping the Gun May 20, 2006

The Senate has passed these resolutions, but that does not make them law. They still must be passed by the House and signed by the President. Because they are included as part of the controversial immigration bill in the Senate, which may or may not become law in some form, the fate of the language measures is unclear. Moreover, they will be subject to legal attack afterwards (among other things, the U.S. Constitution prohibits discrimination on the grounds of national origin).

United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm not so optimistic May 20, 2006

That is what the "US English" has been doing to make English the "official" language of the U.S. What kind of rights is left for linguistic minorities to hold onto. It is a dumb move spearheaded by the US English people to have a "unified tongue" for everybody regardless of their national and linguistic origins. Here is the choice: You either are for the Immigrant Reform or using English for getting an education, getting medical treatment, dealing with government, in court, doing business with people, becoming a US citizen, etc. The government will not fund any translation and interpretation services what so ever. That will turn this place into hell. S.O.S.

Wenjer Leuschel  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 16:02
English to Chinese
+ ...
God Save America! May 20, 2006

Richard Creech wrote:

The Senate has passed these resolutions, but that does not make them law. They still must be passed by the House and signed by the President. Because they are included as part of the controversial immigration bill in the Senate, which may or may not become law in some form, the fate of the language measures is unclear. Moreover, they will be subject to legal attack afterwards (among other things, the U.S. Constitution prohibits discrimination on the grounds of national origin).

No discrimination on the grounds of national origin. That's why I like America, north or south.

xxxchance
French to Chinese
+ ...
多语种 May 20, 2006

我96年陪一位朋友在美国考驾照,当时的表格有多种语言,其中有汉语和越语等,感觉在这方面比当时的法国好,现在法国在这方面稍有进步,最常见的是多种欧洲主要语言,汉语也越来越多。

我想这只是官方文件的需要,在实际应用中,不会有大的改变。

United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In The Name Of God May 22, 2006

This will bring the US a step closer to make English the only "official" language in America. The US-English is the organization spearheaded the "English Only" movement. They sponsor English Only legislations and referendum state after state to defeat bilingual education, multilingual ballots and mandated language services for non-English speakers. Now the US Senate tied the Immigration Reform with the "Common Language Bill" leaving people with no choice but to accept the fact that "speaking English" is a national security issue. Not speaking English becomes a threat to national unity.

United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Save Our America May 22, 2006

The move made by the Senate last week will bring us a step closer to make English the "Official" language of the U.S. There are serious implications. Once English is made the "Official" language, it will ban the use of other languages in all types of government transactions. This "English Only" movement is not new to people. It's aim is to deny the language rights of linguistic minorities. I was so astonished to see people take this matter so lightly.

[Edited at 2006-05-23 01:27]

Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Another View Angle May 23, 2006

pkchan wrote:

The move made by the Senate last week will bring us a step closer to make English the "Official" language of the U.S. There are serious implications. Once English is made the "Official" language, it will ban the use of other languages in all types of goverment transactions. This "English Only" movement is not new to people. It's aim is to deny the language rights of linguistic minorities. I was so astonished to see people take this matter so lightly.

PK Chan,

I see the matter in a different way.

If there were the one and the only "Official Language" in the U.S.A., it would be a great time for translators and interpreters for they would be needed "officially." The most serious implication of all implications would be "BUSINESS" !!! (All capitalized, for sure.)

View it this way, and you would take it relaxed and easy, for you could be part of the enhanced BUSINESS, since there are many ethnical or linguistical Chinese living in the U.S. Not to mention those Latinos. They would be happy about it. The shops in Miami would have another sign in front of them, reading, "Hablamos inglés," telling people, "We are offically connected to the Mainstream."

Brave America, isn't it?

- Wenjer

[Bearbeitet am 2006-05-23 00:21]

wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:02
Chinese to English
+ ...
Some entertainment May 23, 2006

http://www.brownielocks.com/godblessamericaWAVE.html

God Bless America.
Land that I love
Stand beside her, and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies ,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America
My home sweet home.

God Bless America,
Land that I love
Stand beside her,
And guide her,
Through the night
With the light from above,
From the mountains,
To the prairies,
To the ocean,
White with foam,
God bless America,
My home sweet home.
God bless America,
My home sweet home.

United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A Quotation From Martin Niemoller May 24, 2006

"In Germany they came first for the Communists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up." Originally it was written in German. Can somebody translate this into Chinese directly from the German text, please.

United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
IMHO, a unified language will only strengthen the Union May 24, 2006

I will have to respectfully disagree with you, pkchan.

即便是对远古秦始皇的评价, 统一全国文字也是他一项不可抹煞的功绩. 且不说美国自诞生及其以后的历史发展都是以英语作为统一语言的.

The official languages of most of the States in the Union are English, those that bothered to stipulate it in their constitution anyway. Although there has been no official language specified at the federal level up to now, English has always been the de facto national language ever since the founding of this republic, not to mention before that when the first pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock.

When in Rome, do as the Romans do. 中文说入乡随俗. IMO, these sayings are applicable to the new immigrants too.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/JWCRAWFORD/prop63.htm

http://info.neded.org/stathand/parttwo/nebconst.html

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/Constitution.asp

http://state.hi.us/lrb/con/conart15.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_language

United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Country Divided, Never Been United May 26, 2006

This country has never been united. We even fought a war and tried to unite it. However, language has not divided people, but policies do, especially the bad ones. People from the North and from the South, though speaking with a distinctive accent, use the same language. During the Civil War, they killed each other not for a common language. English, ifso facto, is the most common language of the US, then there is no reason to pass legislation to make it “official”.

The country is heavily divided on major issues like abortion, the Vietnam War in the seventies, the Iraq War, and on immigration. The root of discontent is not around LANGUAGE. Speaking English cannot bring us together. By creating a unified tongue also cannot bring us together.

In this country of immigrants, we Chinese have every right to be here. We helped build the Tran-continental railroads for this country. We dug gold for the rich. We came here long before any major European immigration. No one can shut us up for not speaking English. We want to maintain our language and culture as we wish. That should be our rights.

Hundreds of years ago, wine was the only pain-killer. Now, we have Aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, Aleve, and you name it. If we choose acupuncture to be the cure, why can’t we? The greatness of this country is to have CHOICES. Diversity is the key. I love my adopted country.

I think I have made my point here. Let’s put an end to this thread. I don’t want to cause further embarrassment to our moderator, Kevin, my big brother. It has become too controversial. My previous comments have been frozen for 3 days before their release. Language should not be too political. Yet this discussion, from the beginning, has been political in nature. So I will hold back any further comments regarding this topic. Hope folks can understand where I am coming from and where my passion lies.

United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
IMHO, diversity doesn't mean isolation May 26, 2006

pkchan wrote:

This country has never been united. We even fought a war and tried to unite it. However, language has not divided people, but policies do, especially the bad ones. People from the North and from the South, though speaking with a distinctive accent, use the same language. During the Civil War, they killed each other not for a common language. English, ifso facto, is the most common language of the US, then there is no reason to pass legislation to make it “official”.

The country is heavily divided on major issues like abortion, the Vietnam War in the seventies, the Iraq War, and on immigration. The root of discontent is not around LANGUAGE. Speaking English cannot bring us together. By creating a unified tongue also cannot bring us together.

In this country of immigrants, we Chinese have every right to be here. We helped build the Tran-continental railroads for this country. We dug gold for the rich. We came here long before any major European immigration. No one can shut us up for not speaking English. We want to maintain our language and culture as we wish. That should be our rights.

Hundreds of years ago, wine was the only pain-killer. Now, we have Aspirin, Tylenol, Advil, Aleve, and you name it. If we choose acupuncture to be the cure, why can’t we? The greatness of this country is to have CHOICES. Diversity is the key. I love my adopted country.

I think I have made my point here. Let’s put an end to this thread. I don’t want to cause further embarrassment to our moderator, Kevin, my big brother. It has become too controversial. My previous comments have been frozen for 3 days before their release. Language should not be too political. Yet this discussion, from the beginning, has been political in nature. So I will hold back any further comments regarding this topic. Hope folks can understand where I am coming from and where my passion lies.

pk, I can see where you're coming from(and was heading for). My previous disagreement with you is only limited to the language issue. As you said, most of your posts were not made visible immediately, most likely due to the website's system upgrades taking place.

Except for the native Americans, this nation is a nation of immigrants, ideally a cultural melting pot that brings people together and brings out the best of all ethnic groups. You may see things differently, but I doubt any political party is trying to deny any ethnic group their rights to observe their own customs or have their own language preferences, Chinese, Irish, German, or otherwise. The language measure makes perfect sense to me in that I truly can't see the point of people wanting to obtain legal status in a country while unwilling to make the slightest effort to acclimate into mainstream society, a society that they willingly choose to immigrate to.

Beyond that, as you acknowledged, one might be treading on other social and political issues that really don't belong in the realm of this forum. IMHO, everyone is entitled to their own opinion on different things, and has the right to express them in the proper venues.

Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hallelujah! May 26, 2006

pkchan wrote:

Diversity of choices, that's why I love the United States of America. There I can choose to speak English, Spanish, German or Chinese. For elimination of communication problems, I can pay translators, interpreters or lawyers. God praise America!

Naikei Wong
Chinese to English
+ ...
Just a casual thought Jun 17, 2006

I think it's because the ethnic / cultural compositions of the States have been dramatically changing over the recent decades with new immigrants from non-European sources pouring in... the vast population of foreign students also changes the cultures of American education / research quite a bit...

It's like a defensive move, to re-assert something being challenged (rather than something taken for granted)...

I don't know whether that's a good or bad thing... Cheers

[Edited at 2006-06-17 08:14]

[Edited at 2006-06-17 08:15]

[Edited at 2006-06-17 08:16]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

English is made the "National" lanuage of the U.S.

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs