Off topic: Freelance translator's status in Hong Kong
Thread poster: M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:26
English to Polish
Jun 27, 2006

I was wondering what it looks like in HK. I am European citizen, but plan to got to HK for more than 3 months (max for visitor visa is 3 months).
And I wonder what kind of visa would be suitable for me: business, work (but no employer in HK, so that might not be granted). Also if working as an freelancer only being a visitor (most of my client are in China Mainland) would be breaking the law?

I hope some HK natives could help me or direct me where to look for information on t
... See more
I was wondering what it looks like in HK. I am European citizen, but plan to got to HK for more than 3 months (max for visitor visa is 3 months).
And I wonder what kind of visa would be suitable for me: business, work (but no employer in HK, so that might not be granted). Also if working as an freelancer only being a visitor (most of my client are in China Mainland) would be breaking the law?

I hope some HK natives could help me or direct me where to look for information on the subject (Immigration Office website doesn't answer my questions)

謝謝

Anni
Collapse

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 19:26
Chinese to English
+ ...
Welcom to HK Jun 28, 2006

I don't think you would have to worry about visa. You can always extend, so just enjoy your stay.

About working permit, yes, you would need one if you want to get a job. If you work on freelance basis, of course you are also required to apply for a permit, but then again, um, let's put it this way, most bureaucrats are normally quite busy as we all know, it's more than likely that some of those hard working bureaucrats might just happen to work in the immigration department. If the
... See more
I don't think you would have to worry about visa. You can always extend, so just enjoy your stay.

About working permit, yes, you would need one if you want to get a job. If you work on freelance basis, of course you are also required to apply for a permit, but then again, um, let's put it this way, most bureaucrats are normally quite busy as we all know, it's more than likely that some of those hard working bureaucrats might just happen to work in the immigration department. If the inland revenue department of HK never sees your invoice, pay attention to the word "INVOICE", then the chance is "no one would ever know that you have ever worked for a HK company while you were here". I assume you should get the picture by now.

HK is a modern, busy, crowded, polluted and tourist-friendly city. Engjoy the skyline, the smell of waste gas, the panorama of the harbor, different cuisines from virtually all over the world, and... and..., you will find out yourself.
Collapse

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:26
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
As a compatriot of the former British Crown Colony of H.K. Jun 28, 2006

陳先生離開了生我育我的家已有二十二年,所知道的再不是現實了。這問題應由ANGUS WOO作答,可能青年人太忙了,在這裡看見一天也無人給你回覆,所以跟你說幾句。香港人做事比較小心,不輕易信人,翻譯公司也不少,在電話黃業找一些大的翻譯公司,去打探行情,這是一個很好的開始。再到香港中文大學翻譯系,找一些願意與你談的教授查問一下。香港情況復雜,不可輕信人,遇到好人是不少,但遇到一個壞人就不妙了。如你看懂我的中文,你在香港應無問題,祝你好運。

liberation
liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
Honesty will get you nowhere Jul 5, 2006

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

I hope some HK natives could help me or direct me where to look for information on the subject (Immigration Office website doesn't answer my questions)

謝謝

Anni

I live in Shenzhen just north of HK, but lived in HK for 11 years. Here are the facts:

*** It's next to impossible to get a work visa as a freelance translator most anywhere in the world, including HK.

*** If you insist on telling the authorities you are coming to work as a freelance translator, you will be refused entry

*** Come to HK. Say you are coming to visit as a tourist, and may visit China too. Don't mention working.

*** Visit translation firms in HK, but work on-line when here. Have payment made offshore or via PayPal. You will be essentially "invisible" to the authorities.

*** If you like HK/China, after a few months you will know the ropes and be able to find a solution to getting a work visa. Trying to do this from Europe is a waste of time.

*** Consider mainland China rather than HK. It is much easier to get a residence permit here via a real employer or a friend. HK is OUTRAGEOUSLY expensive, while China can be very cheap. I pay RMB2,200 for a lovely apartment in Shenzhen, but it would cost more than RMB20,000 in HK.

[Edited at 2006-07-05 01:26]

M. Anna Kańduła
United Kingdom
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
That's what I wanted to know :) Jul 5, 2006

Thank you for all tips. They are exactly what I needed to know. Seems like I'm back to plan B - go as visitor and then extention of stay.

*** Consider mainland China rather than HK.

But I am in love with HK, not "anywhere in China"

HK is (...) polluted

You should come and see where I live. HK is one of cleanest palaces I've ever seen in my life... And I have been traveling a little here and there

Thanks everyone for your time.

Anni

hsiao-tung
hsiao-tung
Taiwan
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
Visa tips Aug 27, 2006

Hi Anna!
I don't think you need to go through the hassle of a visa extension after your first three-month stay in HK. Just before your 90 days expire, or even on the 90th day, you leave HK for a short trip to Macau (visa free) or to Shenzhen (but you then would need a visa to get there), even for half a day or a couple of hours and then go back to HK and have other 90 days.
Macau is only one hour by ferry away, and there are several ferries each hour, while Shenzhen is, as you prob
... See more
Hi Anna!
I don't think you need to go through the hassle of a visa extension after your first three-month stay in HK. Just before your 90 days expire, or even on the 90th day, you leave HK for a short trip to Macau (visa free) or to Shenzhen (but you then would need a visa to get there), even for half a day or a couple of hours and then go back to HK and have other 90 days.
Macau is only one hour by ferry away, and there are several ferries each hour, while Shenzhen is, as you probably know, right across the border.

Take care and have a nice stay in HK!
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
United Kingdom
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Risky Aug 27, 2006

I know about that option, but if I want to spend there several years or even more - it seems more like cheating and my status in HK would be not clear. Jumping here and there every three months.

And it's risky, because after some time immigration might not let me back in and get suspicious, why I am in HK, what I do there and where I get money from. I take that option as last resort, if everything else fails. My friend got into unpleasant talk with officers after first jump like that - she didn't get into trouble only because she was marrying a HK citizen soon.

Anyway thanks

Anni
Collapse

hsiao-tung
hsiao-tung
Taiwan
Chinese to Italian
+ ...
Then it makes sense... Aug 28, 2006

I thought you wanted to stay for slightly more than 3 months...then that options would have been good. But if you say that you intend to live there for a long period then yes, you'd definitely need to find a way to get a residence permit...maybe you could try with some translation agencies based in HK who need in-house translators...
Anyways, wish you the best of luck and I am sure you'll enjoy living in HK.
Ciao

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Freelance translator's status in Hong Kong

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »