Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 12:11
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jul 20, 2006

Hi,
We've been asked a question and I wondered if anyone had come across this before:

How many square inches of area are needed to
covert 1 square inch of English text to Chinese?

The text in question is for medical newsletters so could be highly technical.

Would it be fair to say that the Chinese text could take up to 25% less room so the answer would be 3 quarters of a square inch?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Best wishes,
Mark

Direct link Reply with quote

Wenjer Leuschel  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 10:11
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hard question! Jul 20, 2006

This is not an easy question. Usually, we know that the ratio or word/character count from English to Chinese would be 1:2. But, this is not always the case. It could vary from 1:1.5 to 1:2.4.

Now, the font size of Chinese characters affects the space a piece of text takes. In your question, you didn't specify the ratio of font sizes of both languages. You cannot determine/estimate the space needed for Chinese translation without knowing the font sizes of both languages.

I guesss, your 25% reduction of space must be taken from the same font size in both languages. If that is the case, I would say, the estimation is all right. Anyway, you can reduce the font size if the ratio of Eng>Chin goes up and increase the font size if it goes down. There are always a way to fit in a piece of text into a determined space.

Good luck and cheers!

pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:11
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Is it a question on "layout"? Jul 21, 2006

Chinese Concept wrote:

Hi,
We've been asked a question and I wondered if anyone had come across this before:

How many square inches of area are needed to
covert 1 square inch of English text to Chinese?

The text in question is for medical newsletters so could be highly technical.

Would it be fair to say that the Chinese text could take up to 25% less room so the answer would be 3 quarters of a square inch?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Best wishes,
Mark

Definitely, the Chinese translation will take up less space even if you are using the same font size for the two languages. I will suggest to use a larger font size to fill up the space rather than shrinking the newsletter or using less pages to print out the Chinese version. I would like to read a Chinese newsletter with the same photo and graphic inserts, same layout, same number of pages as the English version. Unless you are thinking to put both the English and Chinese on the same page, otherwise keep them separate and as compatible to the English version as possible. It is important to show to your Chinese readers that you respect their language as much as the English readers'.

Fan Gao
Australia
Local time: 12:11
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 21, 2006

Thank you for your replies. As far as I know the information is just required for medical newsletters written purely in Chinese.

The font size I don't know either but I assume they would just use an average size font to reduce the number of pages.

I imagine the layout will stay identical as per the original English version and will be sized according to the final number of characters involved so that it is all equally spaced for easy reading.

I guess they are looking for a ratio or a percentage to reduce by for Chinese characters so for example, if there were 10 pages in the original English version, how many pages would there be in the Chinese version?

I think if I say a quarter it will be a safe bet:)

Thanks again,
Mark

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Area needed to convert Chinese text to English text

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs