ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:59
English to Chinese
+ ...
Not too bad Oct 27, 2006

wherestip wrote:
Yueyin,

Don't tell me you actually spent time translating that!

远看像座影壁上的碑文

Wherestip,

是啊,中国的碑文很好看!

昨晚睡觉前心血来潮,觉得挺好玩,就把它翻译出来。此“单词”看起来复杂,实际上不外乎20种氨基酸再加上苯基来回来去地重复,所以没化多少时间。However, there are some typos in the chemical name, it took me a little more time to figure them out. Thank you for your interest!

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Local time: 03:59
Chinese to English
+ ...
Absolutely gobsmacked! 涧! Oct 27, 2006

Can you figure how much here?

涧=万万沟=1064(10的64次方)
垓=108(10的8次方)

十亿为兆,十兆为京,十京为垓

So this '涧' should produce the longest and leave everything else in the dust.

wherestip wrote:

Yueyin Sun wrote:

I underestimated the length of its Chinese name. The translated Chinese name contains 1,188 Chinese characters. Because of repetition of the radicals, it didn't take too much time. I found a few typos in the English name during translation.

蛋氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基精氨酰基酪氨酰基谷氨酰基丝氨酰基亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基精氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基缬氨酰基脯氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基缬氨酰基苏氨酰基亮氨酰基甘氨酰基天冬氨酰基脯氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基丝氨酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基异亮氨酰基天冬氨酰基苏氨酰基亮氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基谷氨酰基亮氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基脯氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丝氨酰基天冬氨酰基脯氨酰基亮氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基甘氨酰基脯氨酰基苏氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基天冬酰胺酰基丙氨酰基苏氨酰基亮氨酰基精氨酰基丙氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基缬氨酰基苏氨酰基脯氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基半胱氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基谷氨酰基蛋氨酰基亮氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基异亮氨酰基精氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基赖氨酰基组氨酰基脯氨酰基苏氨酰基异亮氨酰基脯氨酰基异亮氨酰基甘氨酰基亮氨酰基蛋氨酰基酪氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基亮氨酰基缬氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基赖氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基天冬氨酰基谷氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基苏氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基半胱氨酰基谷氨酰基赖氨酰基缬氨酰基甘氨酰基缬氨酰基天冬氨酰基丝氨酰基缬氨酰基亮氨酰基缬氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基缬氨酰基脯氨酰基缬氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基谷氨酰基丝氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基精氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基精氨酰基组氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基缬氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基异亮氨酰基脯氨酰基异亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基半胱氨酰基脯氨酰基脯氨酰基天冬氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基天冬氨酰基天冬氨酰基亮氨酰基亮氨酰基精氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基异亮氨酰基丙氨酰基丝氨酰基酪氨酰基甘氨酰基精氨酰基甘氨酰基酪氨酰基苏氨酰基酪氨酰基亮氨酰基亮氨酰基丝氨酰基精氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基缬氨酰基苏氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基精氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基脯氨酰基亮氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基组氨酰基亮氨酰基缬氨酰基丙氨酰基赖氨酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基酪氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基脯氨酰基亮氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基甘氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基丝氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基天冬氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基缬氨酰基赖氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基天冬氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基丝氨酰基甘氨酰基丝氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基缬氨酰基赖氨酰基异亮氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基组氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基脯氨酰基谷氨酰基赖氨酰基蛋氨酰基亮氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基缬氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基缬氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基脯氨酰基蛋氨酰基赖氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基苏氨酰基精氨酰基丝氨酸

Yueyin,

Don't tell me you actually spent time translating that!

远看像座影壁上的碑文

[Edited at 2006-10-27 11:47]

[Edited at 2006-10-27 17:42]

[Edited at 2006-10-27 17:46]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
涧 etc. Oct 27, 2006

Last Hermit wrote:

涧=万万沟=1064(10的64次方)
垓=108(10的8次方)

十亿为兆,十兆为京,十京为垓

Wait a minute, Last Hermit.

(10)**8 = 1 亿

So, according to what you stated

1 兆 = (10)**9
1 京 = (10)**10
1 垓 = (10)**11

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
places Oct 27, 2006

I always thought it goes like this:

个、十、百、千、万、 十万、 百万、 千万、 亿、 十亿、 百亿、 千亿、 兆...

That makes 1 兆 = (10) **12

or is there also a 万亿?

which would make 1 兆 = (10) **13

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

... See more

or is there also a 万亿?

which would make 1 兆 = (10) **13

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Not according to this link:

http://zh.wikipedia.org/wiki/兆

But now I see how Last Hermit got to his conclusion of 1 垓 = (10) **8, by using ancient math.

古代中國文獻中已有記載,由小到大依次為一、十、百、千、萬、億、兆、京、垓......

[Edited at 2006-10-27 21:33]
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
最容易翻譯錯誤的就是數字 Oct 27, 2006

wherestip wrote:

But not according to this link:

千  = 10^3 = Thousand = Tausend
百萬 = 10^6 = Million   = Millione
十億 = 10^9 = Billion    = Milliarde
兆  = 10^12 = Trillion   = Billione

這下可好,第一欄的中文稱法和第三欄的德文稱法,對英文母語者而言,很容易搞混。

在新加坡,他們稱「萬」為「十千」,剛聽到時差點搞不懂說的是什麼,但習慣了就好。

中文裡應該還有更大的數字稱法吧?

最容易翻譯錯誤的就是數字,很常見。

[Edited at 2006-10-27 19:14]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
It's confusing any way you look at it Oct 27, 2006

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

wherestip wrote:

But not according to this link:

千  = 10^3 = Thousand = Tausend
百萬 = 10^6 = Million   = Millione
十億 = 10^9 = Billion    = Milliarde
兆  = 10^12 = Trillion   = Billione

這下可好,第一欄的中文稱法和第三欄的德文稱法,對英文母語者而言,很容易搞混。

在新加坡,他們稱「萬」為「十千」,剛聽到時差點搞不懂說的是什麼,但習慣了就好。

中文裡應該還有更大的數字稱法吧?

... Especially if they want to refer to 兆 as mega (million). It goes back to the counting system of ancient times. What's worse is it makes 兆 smaller than what most people understand what 亿 is supposed to mean. Oh, boy.

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
在这两个数字上法语与德语相近 Oct 28, 2006

十億 = 10^9 = Billion = Milliarde (德) = Milliard (法)
兆  = 10^12 = Trillion = Billione (德) = Billion (法)

以前看到这两个数字,总要认真想想与英语的区别,以免搞错。现在可好,基本不需担心,已基本忘掉英语

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
most "productive" English word Oct 28, 2006

Last Hermit wrote:

涧=万万沟=1064(10的64次方)
垓=108(10的8次方)

十亿为兆,十兆为京,十京为垓

Last Hermit,

I kind of went off on a tangent trying to understand the sequencing of numerical places in Chinese. Sorry about that.

But to get back to the subject of this thread, I don't see what the Chinese character 涧 has to do with the quest for a single English word, and how it leaves everthing else in the dust.

You probably misunderstood the exercise. It is to find the one English word that generates the highest number of Chinese characters when translated.

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Member (2004)
Chinese to English
Yueyin is in the lead Oct 28, 2006

wherestip wrote:

You probably misunderstood the exercise. It is to find the one English word that generates the highest number of Chinese characters when translated.

And it looks like Yueyin is going to win this competition. Who's going to beat 1:1,188??? Well, I'm speechless...

Denyce

Last Hermit
Last Hermit
Chinese to English
+ ...
Just wordplay. Oct 28, 2006

Do NOT take it seriously.

Do NOT take it personal.

wherestip wrote:

Last Hermit wrote:

涧=万万沟=1064(10的64次方)
垓=108(10的8次方)

十亿为兆,十兆为京,十京为垓

Last Hermit,

I kind of went off on a tangent trying to understand the sequencing of numerical places in Chinese. Sorry about that.

But to get back to the subject of this thread, I don't see what the Chinese character 涧 has to do with the quest for a single English word, and how it leaves everthing else in the dust.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
No sweat Oct 28, 2006

Last Hermit wrote:

Do NOT take it personal.

I sure hope not. I personally really didn't take anything personally.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
涧! Oct 28, 2006

这大概又是特殊学生在特殊学校里受的特殊教育吧?

Last Hermit wrote:

Do NOT take it personal.

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:59
English to Chinese
+ ...
该入“西安碑林” Oct 28, 2006

wherestip wrote:

Yueyin Sun wrote:

蛋氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基精氨酰基酪氨酰基谷氨酰基丝氨酰基亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基精氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基缬氨酰基脯氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基缬氨酰基苏氨酰基亮氨酰基甘氨酰基天冬氨酰基脯氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基丝氨酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基异亮氨酰基天冬氨酰基苏氨酰基亮氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基谷氨酰基亮氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基脯氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丝氨酰基天冬氨酰基脯氨酰基亮氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基甘氨酰基脯氨酰基苏氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基天冬酰胺酰基丙氨酰基苏氨酰基亮氨酰基精氨酰基丙氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基缬氨酰基苏氨酰基脯氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基半胱氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基谷氨酰基蛋氨酰基亮氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基异亮氨酰基精氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基赖氨酰基组氨酰基脯氨酰基苏氨酰基异亮氨酰基脯氨酰基异亮氨酰基甘氨酰基亮氨酰基蛋氨酰基酪氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基亮氨酰基缬氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基赖氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基天冬氨酰基谷氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基苏氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基半胱氨酰基谷氨酰基赖氨酰基缬氨酰基甘氨酰基缬氨酰基天冬氨酰基丝氨酰基缬氨酰基亮氨酰基缬氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基缬氨酰基脯氨酰基缬氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基谷氨酰基丝氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基精氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基精氨酰基组氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基缬氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基异亮氨酰基脯氨酰基异亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基半胱氨酰基脯氨酰基脯氨酰基天冬氨酰基丙氨酰基天冬氨酰基天冬氨酰基天冬氨酰基亮氨酰基亮氨酰基精氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基异亮氨酰基丙氨酰基丝氨酰基酪氨酰基甘氨酰基精氨酰基甘氨酰基酪氨酰基苏氨酰基酪氨酰基亮氨酰基亮氨酰基丝氨酰基精氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基缬氨酰基苏氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基谷氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基精氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基脯氨酰基亮氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基组氨酰基亮氨酰基缬氨酰基丙氨酰基赖氨酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基谷氨酰基酪氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基脯氨酰基亮氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基甘氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基异亮氨酰基丝氨酰基丙氨酰基脯氨酰基天冬氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基缬氨酰基赖氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基天冬氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基甘氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基丝氨酰基甘氨酰基丝氨酰基丙氨酰基异亮氨酰基缬氨酰基赖氨酰基异亮氨酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基组氨酰基天冬酰胺酰基异亮氨酰基谷氨酰基脯氨酰基谷氨酰基赖氨酰基蛋氨酰基亮氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基亮氨酰基赖氨酰基缬氨酰基苯基丙氨酰基缬氨酰基谷氨酰胺酰基脯氨酰基蛋氨酰基赖氨酰基丙氨酰基丙氨酰基苏氨酰基精氨酰基丝氨酸

Yueyin,
远看像座影壁上的碑文

两位兄长:
这个词应该入“西安碑林”,至少可为中国传统观念中的知识结构起到些平衡作用。让哪位书法家来写呢?不过能称书法家的大都只善李白、杜甫之句,要他写这个词,恐怕写不到半行就数不清楚了,等他一字不差写完全篇时,已经手不能动,毛笔头写秃了!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
就交给和坤去办好了 Oct 29, 2006

David Shen wrote:
这个词应该入“西安碑林”,至少可为中国传统观念中的知识结构起到些平衡作用。让哪位书法家来写呢?不过能称书法家的大都只善李白、杜甫之句,要他写这个词,恐怕写不到半行就数不清楚了,等他一字不差写完全篇时,已经手不能动,毛笔头写秃了!

老沈:

其实有偷工减料的办法。别看那么多字,其实它们只是由以下24个字排列组合而成:蛋谷精酪丝亮丙赖甘缬脯苏天冬异半胱组苯酰胺氨基酸。

这件事情就交给和坤去办好了。:D

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
記憶的策略 Oct 29, 2006

David Shen wrote:

Yueyin,
远看像座影壁上的碑文
[/quote]

樂音:

如果每個基因蛋白的排序都必須寫出名稱,西安的碑林絕對不夠看。高中時代有一位英文老師,在黑板上寫出 antidisestablishmentarianism 這樣的怪字,當時我被唬得一愣一愣。後來在德國,見過許多奇奇怪怪的長串字,拆解了也就不奇怪。

人的腦袋很奇妙,總會把太長的概念化約成五到七個單元,以利記憶。那個高中時代學到的字,拆成 anti-dis-establish-ment-arian-ism 就會變得容易記憶。你那 24 個中文字似乎也有那個傾向。

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Competition Time! Find the English word with the most Chinese characters

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »