Thread poster: Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 26, 2006

Due to security reasons, I switched from IE 6 to FireFox a long time ago. Did this pay off? I suppose so. A few days ago, Last Hermit suggested to me to run a anti-spy check using the software discussed in this forum some time ago. To my surprise, my PC was not that infected as I expected. The software didn't show me any malicious software to delete, but a few hundred cookies, including some cookies from my clients' websites.
... See more
Due to security reasons, I switched from IE 6 to FireFox a long time ago. Did this pay off? I suppose so. A few days ago, Last Hermit suggested to me to run a anti-spy check using the software discussed in this forum some time ago. To my surprise, my PC was not that infected as I expected. The software didn't show me any malicious software to delete, but a few hundred cookies, including some cookies from my clients' websites.

The new IE 7.0 is believed to be securer than its previous versions. At least this is something Microsoft wishes for the new release.

I just downloaded the new version, which is not yet available in Chinese, and by far, found it easier to use.

I love its new multi-tab browsing feature and simplified interface design, although this is maybe no good for newbies.

It now incorporates a search function just as what FireFox has been using. But this certainly doesn't render Google's own toolbar useless.

Yahoo! seems to work with Microsoft in the rolling out of the new IE. My Yahoo toolbar prompted me to download IE 7, which intergrated some Yahoo! features. For this reason, I downloaded the new browser but uninstalled Yahoo! toolbar.

During installation, your PC will get checked for possible tampering by rogue ware first. I believe MS is attempting to give us a clean installation.

[Edited at 2006-11-20 11:24]
Collapse

Haiyang Ai (X)
Haiyang Ai (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
So does FireFox 2.0 Oct 26, 2006

I love to use FireFox too, which's very popular in the open source word. Now the latest version has just been released. You can download it for free at http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/

Using Linux operating system is much more safer. The distribution I like is Debian, Fedora and also SUSE.

Han Li
Han Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
屏幕显示的字体似乎看起来更舒服了 Nov 7, 2006

我也用了几天了,感觉浏览时看文字舒服多了,尤其是看繁体字和英文时,感觉比原来清晰了很多。也许只是个人感觉,也没有卸载再试6.0。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Disgusted Nov 19, 2006

I downloaded IE 7.0 from AT&T Yahoo Friday. Like Han Li mentioned, both the English and Chinese fonts have a nicer appearance. But now I get several errors every time I turn on my computer. Also it does an automatic chkdsk unless the check is aborted...very annoying.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Errors Nov 20, 2006

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

Hi Stephen,

Sorry to hear this. I downloaded from MS website directly. Yahoo toolbar fed me the news, but I found that download would be from their site instead of from Microsoft. Fearing to get a tampered version, I went to Microsoft Internet Exploerer site directly to get the new 7.

I think your AT&T Yahoo IE was coded with lots of extras. I hate those things. In this respect, I think IE gets too commercial in its effort to edge out FireFox.

Best,
Jianjun

Thanks, Jianjun.

It's not a big deal. It's just annoying to see these error boxes with red X's pop up all the time.

If worst comes to worst, I can always do a ThinkPad recovery rescue. But then I have to bring everything back up to the latest version again, very time-consuming. Plus all my own data will be lost since nothing on my machine is important enough for me to go to the trouble of backing it up. I think I'll just live with the errors for now. At least they're not viruses.

[Edited at 2006-11-20 13:09]

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Download from MS directly Nov 20, 2006

wherestip wrote:

I downloaded IE 7.0 from AT&T Yahoo Friday. Like Han Li mentioned, both the English and Chinese fonts have a nicer appearance. But now I get several errors every time I turn on my computer. Also it does an automatic chkdsk unless the check is aborted...very annoying.

Hi Stephen,

Sorry to hear this. I downloaded from MS website directly. Yahoo toolbar fed me the news, but I found that download would be from their site instead of from Microsoft. Fearing to get a tampered version, I went to Microsoft Internet Exploerer site directly to get the new 7.

I think your AT&T Yahoo IE was coded with lots of extras. I hate those things. In this respect, I think IE gets too commercial in its effort to edge out FireFox.

Best,
Jianjun

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Error Messages Nov 20, 2006

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Hi Stephen,

Best,
Jianjun

Thanks, Jianjun.

It's not a big deal. It's just annoying to see all these error boxes with red X's pop up all the time.

If worse comes to worst, I can always do a ThinkPad system recovery rescue. But then I have to bring everything back up to the current version again, very time-consuming. Plus all my own data will be lost since nothing on my computer is important enough for me to go to the trouble of backing it up. I think I'll just live with the errors for now. At least they're not viruses.

p.s. This is a re-post. Somehow my previous post got eaten up by the system

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Oh, that's nice. I see my previous post got re-located, literally in two ways.

[Edited at 2006-11-20 13:54]

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
在这里下载 Nov 20, 2006

http://www.microsoft.com/china/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx
我下载软件都在软件开发者的主页下载,比较可靠。我没发现出现什么错误。不过我却发现一个问题,不能在浏览器中设置代理服务器。我想在公用网络登陆教育网,找了教育网的IP地址,却发现在IE7中更改,选OK后,键入的IP地址却不能被应用。不过也不是大问题,凑合着用吧。

[Edited at 2006-11-20 15:12]

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:10
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Did my PC cause it, or the technology is not ready? Nov 20, 2006

Hi, All

I finally decided to download IE, 7.0 and installed it to my PC (using Windows XP Professional) last weekend. When I restarted the computer and launched the new IE browser to surf the internet and check my emails in MSN site, I experienced the slow response, or no response, and even freeze... It was a horrifying experience. I took it out and re-installed the older version back, and everything back to normal.

What was it? Did my PC cause it, or the technology is
... See more
Hi, All

I finally decided to download IE, 7.0 and installed it to my PC (using Windows XP Professional) last weekend. When I restarted the computer and launched the new IE browser to surf the internet and check my emails in MSN site, I experienced the slow response, or no response, and even freeze... It was a horrifying experience. I took it out and re-installed the older version back, and everything back to normal.

What was it? Did my PC cause it, or the technology is not ready?

Kevin

[修改时间: 2006-11-20 19:30]
Collapse

Jianjun Zhang
United Kingdom
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No idea. Nov 21, 2006

Hi Kevin,

I didn't experience this with 7 (English version) and XP Pro (Simplified Chinese). The browsing experience is good. The only problems I experienced by far are after opening a number of tabs, the speed is getting slower (comparing with FireFox it's no good in this respect) and some of the websites don't recognize this new version - so I couldn't download my exam pass from Test Center website, etc.

Generally speaking it is better than previous versions. BTW, I
... See more
Hi Kevin,

I didn't experience this with 7 (English version) and XP Pro (Simplified Chinese). The browsing experience is good. The only problems I experienced by far are after opening a number of tabs, the speed is getting slower (comparing with FireFox it's no good in this respect) and some of the websites don't recognize this new version - so I couldn't download my exam pass from Test Center website, etc.

Generally speaking it is better than previous versions. BTW, I don't use 7 with MSN, so have no idea why the services from the same company would be like that. Maybe this time Microsoft outsourced IE to other developers?

Best,
Jianjun

TongliUSA wrote:

Hi, All

Kevin

[修改时间: 2006-11-20 19:30]

[Edited at 2006-11-21 01:10]
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Different behavior Nov 21, 2006

TongliUSA wrote:

Hi, All

Kevin

Kevin,

I didn't notice any response time degradation in general. But in my on-line brokerage account, I did experience some unexpected different behavior. For example, upon clicking "buy" or "sell", windows which used to automatically pop up or refresh no longer did that. Instead it would try to open a new tab, totally preventing any kind of transactions.

Upon calling my brokerage tech support, I was told that the "Navigate sub-frames across different domains" feature had to be enabled in the browser options. This feature is under "Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Custom Level". The guy I talked to said Microsoft made a mistake by not enabling it as default. Another thing he had me do is change the "open links from other programs" option from the default of "A new tab in the current window" to "A new window" instead. This setting is under "Tools -> Internet Options -> General -> Change how webpages are displayed in tabs -> Settings"

It doesn't sound like what you experienced had much to do with these tab-related settings though.

Han Li
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
HOW TO: 使用 ClearType 增强屏幕字体 Dec 5, 2006

使用IE7后,我就奇怪为什么IE7浏览网页时字体就看的比较清楚,而IE6就不行。搜了微软知识库后发现了这个:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306527/zh-cn
按照说明设置后,不用浏览器时字体也看得比较清楚了。可是 ClearType技术早就应用到了XP系统中,我以前为什么没有体会到他的好处呢?原来还需�
... See more
使用IE7后,我就奇怪为什么IE7浏览网页时字体就看的比较清楚,而IE6就不行。搜了微软知识库后发现了这个:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306527/zh-cn
按照说明设置后,不用浏览器时字体也看得比较清楚了。可是 ClearType技术早就应用到了XP系统中,我以前为什么没有体会到他的好处呢?原来还需要进行自定义设置,根据自己的LCD进行专门设置:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/cleartypeactivate.htm

据说,ClearTYpe只适用于英文字体,而在Windows Vista系统中有了一种新中文字体:微软雅黑,安装后的中文系统据说字体非常清楚。我从网上下载了雅黑字体后,把系统显示的中文字体都更改成了这种字体,可是觉得系统外观看起来极不舒服,可能是不太习惯吧。而且在IE7中把中文字体设置为雅黑后,在浏览器中看起来也还是不太顺眼。所以我就仍然改为宋体了。不知道Vista是否真的值得大家期待。

PS: 刚才比较了一下Windows 2000的系统显示,其实不用进一步设置就可以感觉出来XP比2000的字体看起来舒服多了。只不过进行设置后,感觉比不设置更好一点。

[Edited at 2006-12-05 10:35]
Collapse

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:10
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Vista is coming to town Dec 16, 2006

這是什麼東東,是時候嗎?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

IE 7 is out!

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »