Thread poster: Chinoise
Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:59
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 21, 2002

Quote:
Hi Betty, I think you misunderstood me here. I was not saying that \"Sorry for being neutral\" 令人恶心”. As I mentioned that you were sometimes rude, I was giving the example you said about some of our fellow translators whose mother tongue is not Chinese. I would not say you 令人恶心 even you put ten disagreements under my answers. That only indicates that you completely disagree with me, which is entirely normal.
... See more
Quote:
Hi Betty, I think you misunderstood me here. I was not saying that \"Sorry for being neutral\" 令人恶心”. As I mentioned that you were sometimes rude, I was giving the example you said about some of our fellow translators whose mother tongue is not Chinese. I would not say you 令人恶心 even you put ten disagreements under my answers. That only indicates that you completely disagree with me, which is entirely normal.

OK, now I am in relief. That at least assures me that you don’t care about what I asked and the “neutral” I gave to you.” Normally, I hate to give anyone a “disagree”. Therefore, if you won’t feel 恶心 when you see me” putting ten disagreements under your answers”, everyone else would feel 恶心. I am just joking. I am far from being that mean. That’s guaranteed.

Quote:
The reason I felt you overreacted on that particular note is that after I looked at Richard\'s comments, the only thing I found was silly-sounding. To me, silly is the least offending among silly, dumb and stupid. Silly-sounding is even less offending than silly itself. If we add \"kind of\" and \"very\" before these words, you can form \"kind of silly\", \"silly\", \"very silly\". We can do the same thing with the other two words. Silly-sounding is about the least offending among the 10 of them. As I understand it, saying something or someone is silly-sounding is just a friendly way of expressing one\'s disagreement, especially among young people and friends.

“Silly-sounding” sounds cool to me. What made me sick was not this tiny silly thing at all. Go back and enjoy, Dr. Li. It’s a pity there is no BBB here, 哈哈哈...

Quote:
Except this misunderstanding here, I think we in fact agree on most other things. So let\'s forget about this and try to answer more questions and agree, neutral and disagree as usual without taking it personally so that we can make the KudoZ area more enjoyable.

Absolutely.

Glad to see an amicable conclusion like this. If this harmonious tie can be maintained in domestic peace in our Chinese forum, I shall be the most loyal one to cultivate all the flowers in this garden —our beautiful Chinese garden. If you would like to talk more with me or us fellow translators in Chinese, just let us know. Aren\'t we planning a Chinese powwow, folks?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-21 09:44 ]
Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
In total agreement with you Oct 21, 2002

Completely agree with you. Let\'s work even harder to grow more flowers in our garden.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-21 17:15 ]

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:59
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good morning! Oct 21, 2002

Wish you and every fellow translator a fresh morning!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-21 17:16 ]

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:59
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
There is certainly a necessity to define and build our VURTUAL CULTURE here. Oct 21, 2002

Dear Bin Li and Betty,

I have been reading the messages posted by both of you in the Chinese Forum in the last couple days. First of all, thank you very much for choosing the Chinese Forum as a place to present issues and find solutions. Unfortunately, I begin to notice that when an issue is discussed here, many translators became, uh, let me put it as mild as I can, short of opinions. I hope there are more translators can soon understand that it is NOT a matter of you want
... See more
Dear Bin Li and Betty,

I have been reading the messages posted by both of you in the Chinese Forum in the last couple days. First of all, thank you very much for choosing the Chinese Forum as a place to present issues and find solutions. Unfortunately, I begin to notice that when an issue is discussed here, many translators became, uh, let me put it as mild as I can, short of opinions. I hope there are more translators can soon understand that it is NOT a matter of you want to share your opinion with other here or stay out of trouble, it is, as how I see it, more or less if you have the integrity to contribute your share of responsibility to establish this VIRTUAL CULTURE(Note Well: This expression is created by Kevin Yang) at this site. If we had a thorough discussion earlier and everyone can speak out in the previous cases, this case might not happen like this. Please always remember silence = tolerance = acceptance = reoccurrence.

The case you presented here looks very familiar to me and our readers in the Chinese Forum. This is because that there are totally three similar cases so far have been discussed here in roll within one month. I am pleased to see the discussion here have been carried out in a professional and rational manner. I believe that by simply presenting the case here has already fulfilled half way of the goal to bring education to others and learn to modify our behaviors.

After participated in the discussions in all three similar cases, I think there is one VERY IMPORTANT thing that I should point out here, that is, the problem throughout these three cases is NOT whether you grade other people\'s proposed answer \"Disagree\"or \"Neutral\", the real problem is HOW you present your opinion. The presentation of your disagreement itself matters. It shows your integrity, professionalism and knowledge level. In the case that involves yangyg and me, it was NOT AT ALL that I was offended by his \"Disagree\" grading. It was TOTALLY because the way he presented his argument which carried an attitude with overacting and over-confidence based on the very limited context provided by the asker. I still wonder when the word \"possibilities\" should only be translated as \"business opportunities.\" It is incredibly absurd indeed while mind-boggling to this date that he thinks he was so right and I was so wrong in this case.

I cannot help but noticed that Betty was in two of these three cases, and had the opportunity to play a different role in each case. Since Betty has been at both ends so far, I am sure Betty would have a better understanding on this issue now. Let us all remember, what matters is the presentation of your opinions. Let alone the translation itself and supporting reference speak. That is a healthier atmosphere in discussion as far as how I look at it. By the way, when you quote any reference online or from book and use it as your proposed answer, that means you are validating the information in your quote, and attached your approval to it. So be very careful on that, too.

Let us look at the positive side. I think everyone who participates in the activities at ProZ.com has the passion and enthusiasm in pursuing the art of translation. It is definitely appropriate to modify our behaviors and address any issues along with the discussions. If we all can contribute each of our own share of responsibility to define and build the VURTUAL CULTURE here, we will soon have an acceptable code to follow, and the more pleasant things will happen to us along with it everyday.

Cheers!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-21 21:17 ]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let me clarify it...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »