Thread poster: Xiao Mei Tian
Xiao  Mei Tian
Xiao Mei Tian  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
Oct 21, 2002

Does anyone use DejaVu?

I would like to enlist your help in dealing with the coding problem I encountered when I tried to use DejaVu. I followed the DV Tutorial closely, but when I tried to send the sentences in Chinese from the project to the memory database, Chinese characters were turned into a (horrendous to me) list of question marks.

Does anyone have any clue as to what the problem was? Could anyone help?

Xiaomei with questio
... See more
Does anyone use DejaVu?

I would like to enlist your help in dealing with the coding problem I encountered when I tried to use DejaVu. I followed the DV Tutorial closely, but when I tried to send the sentences in Chinese from the project to the memory database, Chinese characters were turned into a (horrendous to me) list of question marks.

Xiaomei with question marks
Collapse

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Which Windows system do you use? Oct 21, 2002

If you use Windows 2000 or Windows XP, that will happen as DV cannot handle Chinese font\'s name in Chinese character. Even you selected a Chinese font for the target language, DV will automatically revert to an English font for the target Chinese character, which results in the display in ???? of the Chinese text. The new version of Daja Vu X is coming soon. This is completely unicode based system and the above issue will be gone forever.

I had the same problem before and
... See more
If you use Windows 2000 or Windows XP, that will happen as DV cannot handle Chinese font\'s name in Chinese character. Even you selected a Chinese font for the target language, DV will automatically revert to an English font for the target Chinese character, which results in the display in ???? of the Chinese text. The new version of Daja Vu X is coming soon. This is completely unicode based system and the above issue will be gone forever.

I had the same problem before and am waiting for the new version.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-10-21 23:42 ]
Collapse

Xiao  Mei Tian
Xiao Mei Tian  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Trados or DV? Oct 21, 2002

Thank you, Dr. Li.

My operating system is Windows 2000.

An aside for Dr. Li: which one do you prefer, Trados or DV?

Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
I kind of prefer DV Oct 22, 2002

I kind of prefer DV although I have used Trados for many years. DV has a single interface and it can use short phrases you translated to assemble a sentence for you.

Trados is too rigid and fragmented with the so called WorkPlace that is completely useless. They spent nearly two years on that while they should concentrate on core functionality and the intergration of different filters, small programs.

Another thing is their Terminology tool, cumbersome
... See more
I kind of prefer DV although I have used Trados for many years. DV has a single interface and it can use short phrases you translated to assemble a sentence for you.

Trados is too rigid and fragmented with the so called WorkPlace that is completely useless. They spent nearly two years on that while they should concentrate on core functionality and the intergration of different filters, small programs.

Another thing is their Terminology tool, cumbersome and ineffective. You could not add entry in real time until recently.

When I worked at Intel, I found so many bugs and issues and talked to their tech support so often that they told me at the Orlando ATA conference that they were trying to get me out of Intel and work for them. Of course, when I called them, I often tell them some work arounds to the issues, especially those specific with Chinese.

Collapse

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
Another suggestion! Oct 27, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-10-21 21:41, xiaomei wrote:

Does anyone use DejaVu?

Does a... See more
Quote:

On 2002-10-21 21:41, xiaomei wrote:

Does anyone use DejaVu?

Xiaomei with question marks

Hi Xiaomei,

I once had a similar question , which I posted under the topic \"Please convince me to buy TRADOS vs. other CATs\" in the forum entitled \"Comparison shopping\". Here is the hyperlink

www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&topic=3791&forum=9&20.

(If this link is technically unclickable ,you may directly visit that forum)

There are some 20 posts there, so you cannot miss the most valuable tips. Should you have further questions, let\'s discuss them later on.

Have a nice Sunday!

Regards,

Betty

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Need help with DejaVu

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »