Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >
Off topic: Qualifications and Skills of Moderator and Users in Chinese Forum?
Thread poster: chica nueva
chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 06:06
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A good user - should 'find common cause' Jan 8, 2007

wherestip wrote:

I truly think it's for the better of this forum for everyone to respect each other -- and that's not just an empty slogan. One has to be aboveboard and respectful in what they do, not only in what they say.

[Edited at 2007-01-05 23:22]

A good user should 'find common cause'. They should not put their individual interests above the group's or have divided loyalties. They should not have a 'hidden agenda'. They shouldn't be 'a loose cannon'.

Is this what you are saying?

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
得道多助,失道寡助 Jan 8, 2007

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

There is also a group of 'seniors' here that's quite strong. They tend to rally round, and set the tone, and help form a consensus.

Lesley,

I don't think what you said above is true. When you make such an allegation, could you please provide any evidence? In fact, “得道者多助,失道者寡助”, no matter who they are.

[Edited at 2007-01-08 16:00]

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A good user - is responsible? Jan 8, 2007

stone118 wrote:

If this were the case, then I would have nothing more to say about this particular situation.

But the talkative stone still has some feeling and thoughts to share.....

但在達到這一共識之前,的確是處於「沒有共識」的情況,因此也許有人認為既然有那種涵蓋了整個 ProZ.com 網站的規矩,那直接去問「整個網站的管理者」應該也很合邏輯。也許這是提問人的邏輯也未可知,倒不見得一定是出於惡意。

A good user is responsible. I don't know if I handled it right or not, but anyway I tried.

I thought I should follow Wenjer's suggestion, and check with Management. This is the result.

'倒不見得一定是出於惡意' - nice of you to 'give me the benefit of the doubt' ...

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
A good forum user is - righteous and moral and ethical Jan 8, 2007

wherestip wrote:

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Do we have a proper process for deciding what is 'constructive and benefiting' and what is 'harmful and destructive'. I am not convinced.

Peers have been 'outed' in forum threads, and their actions debated. Is this really appropriate?

Is this what 'being accountable to one's peers' means? It will frighten people away.

Lesley,

Rest assured that nobody in this instance would be scared away. Backstabbers are tough cookies.

IMO, there are always proper and ethical ways to achieve one's goals in life. It doesn't have to be through backstabbing and other unethical means. As a matter of fact, a lot of ills in this world is because people don't know any better. Lesley, being an upright person as you always claim to be, I'm surprised you don't understand this.

An ambitious young person who wanted to build his or her career in the translation business could have very well gone to Kevin, or even directly to site management, and expressed his/her desire this way for example, "Look, Kevin's been doing this moderator's job forever, taking away precious time from his own business and personal life. I'm young and ambitious. I'm well versed in both English and Chinese, and Cantonese for that matter. I would love to take over the moderator's job and prove my leadership skills."

Unfortunately, this time around, that's not the way things turned out. However, there are always other opportunities ahead (风物长宜放眼量). Hopefully young people would learn from their experiences and in the process build their own character, and perchance some good moral values to boot.

I guess there's a lesson somewhere in there too?

[Edited at 2007-01-07 16:35]

Users should be righteous and moral and ethical - the younger generation should learn from their elders. I guess that's the traditional Chinese way.

Angus Woo
Angus Woo
Local time: 02:06
Chinese to English
+ ...
I could be wrong Jan 8, 2007

Yes, like Kevin said, I didn't follow this whole instance very closely, so I could be wrong.

The impression I have is that most of our members are reasonable, except one (the guy was banned from posting). With that in mind, I think therefore we have reasons to assume that most of the conflicts are simply the results of mere misunderstanding.

A forum is more or less a melting pot where different ideas, sometimes even polar opposite ideas, could be voiced. The fact that
... See more
Yes, like Kevin said, I didn't follow this whole instance very closely, so I could be wrong.

The impression I have is that most of our members are reasonable, except one (the guy was banned from posting). With that in mind, I think therefore we have reasons to assume that most of the conflicts are simply the results of mere misunderstanding.

A forum is more or less a melting pot where different ideas, sometimes even polar opposite ideas, could be voiced. The fact that we have two ears on each side of our head and just one mouth says something, i.e. we constantly need to hear from two opposite sides in order to have a better idea of what's going on; and since the ratio of ear and mouth is two against one, thus most of our effort should be spent on listening rather than talking.

That will make everybody happy, for one of pychological needs we hold dear the most is the need for recognition, since that inevitably leads to self-ratification.

Just my 2 cents.
Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:06
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
This discussion ends here. Jan 8, 2007

Lesley McLachlan wrote:
I've adapted. Actually I have got used to the vetting and the censoring. It is helpful. The 'vetting' gives me time to reflect, and the 'censoring' means I know what is acceptable and what isn't, or when it is time to stop.

Lesley,

I hope you have said everything on your mind in over 50 messages of yours. While you were making all the comments and remarks about the operation and the moderator of the Chinese Forum, I hope you have also taken time to reflect about your performence as a user, as I requested previously.

There is one important fact you totally missed, that is, this is a business place, where I am here along with other translators are making great efforts to help all the members. Our goal is to create a pleasant and resourceful place where our translators can enjoy their stay while they are here and also make their membership fees worth paid. The growth of membership says everything.

Trust me, I will not let any individual mess up the business here and ruin our members’ happy time, as long as I am here. We are running a business and catering the members. If you are interested in our service, please be a member today.

You might have many good ideas about how to do my job and how to run the forum. You had the chance to speak, but unfortunately, your thoughts were poorly organized. Thank you for your efforts. I will try to read your messages again when I have time, in case I missed anything.

For now, let's end this discussion here.

Kevin

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Hey, Yueyin Jan 8, 2007

Just want to say Hi.

I haven't seen you around for a while. Chance is also sticking to her New Year's resolution by not even making a peep.

Cheers.

[Edited at 2007-01-08 03:17]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Cheers! Jan 8, 2007

Hi Steve,

Yes, I have been quite busy lately. I am very glad that this discussion was ended. Cheers!

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Another lesson for me Jan 8, 2007

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Hi Steve,

Yes, I have been quite busy lately. I am very glad that this discussion was ended. Cheers!

True, Yueyin. I am also so glad that this discussion has ended. But this thread to me is a lesson, in that it exposed to me how complicated society can be, even in cyberspace. I seriously doubt the thread starter had any good intentions at all, the way she jumped around in her positions and deliberately twisted others' words around. And let me qualify this by emphasizing that this is just my opinion.

[Edited at 2007-01-08 15:30]

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Steve, Jan 8, 2007

谢谢你还老惦着我,再不出来致意一下就不太礼貌了。

我是希望新的一年能够专心工作,首先保证按时交稿,否则再能理解的客户也该吓跑了

我和你差不多同时订购的三批书,元旦后才陆续到齐,也想有时间读点书。

虽然不上论坛,但你仍然是我尊敬的老姜之一。我到PROZ比KEVIN他们稍晚一点,也有四年多的时间了,论坛的风风雨雨也都差不多经历过,当年在英语和法语论坛很活跃的一些成员也都陆续从论坛上“退休”了,只有像KEVIN这样的MODERATORS仍一如既往......佩服!

总而言之,还是令人愉快的时候多。有些事情需要时间,所谓路遥知马力......

祝你愉快

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
very true Jan 8, 2007

路遥知马力, 日久见人心

Chance,

Bullseye! You said it.

Don't work too hard. Like you yourself said several times in the past, don't neglect your health, and don't forget to enjoy life's pleasures. Take time to smell the roses.

Have a wonderful new year.

[Edited at 2007-01-08 14:03]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Qualifications and Skills of Moderator and Users in Chinese Forum?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »