Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >
Off topic: Qualifications and Skills of Moderator and Users in Chinese Forum?
Thread poster: chica nueva
chica nueva
chica nueva
Local time: 11:53
Chinese to English
Jan 4, 2007

Moderators should be paid?

Being a moderator is not an easy job. It is time-consuming and requires certain skills. ...

[Moderators, please check: Is this topic 'out of scope', (= 'off-limits', 'taboo') at Proz.com? I am not sure... ]

[Edited at 2007-01-04 03:43]

[标题已经过网站人员或版主的修改 2007-01-06 01:40]

[标题已经过网站人员或版主的修改 2007-01-06 07:17]

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 07:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi Lesley, Jan 4, 2007

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Being a moderator is not an easy job. It is time-consuming and requires certain skills. ...

[Moderators, please check: Is this topic 'out of scope', (= 'off-limits', 'taboo') at Proz.com? I am not sure... ]

http://www.proz.com/?sp=bb/new&topic_id=&forum_id=&action=Overview&cat_group=proz

I guess, posting somewhere here would come closer to the management. Actually, I have been thinking of the same.

- Wenjer

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:53
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Let's list the qualifications and skills that the peers expect a moderator to have. Jan 4, 2007

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

[Edited at 2007-01-04 03:43]

Lesley,

Thank you for the kind thought. I do not think it is possible, because it would add too much cost to the operation, and slow down the development. It will certainly make this job more attractive if certain forms of compensation can be considered. Thank you for acknowledging that it is time-consuming and requires certain skills!

Talking about the qualifications and skills, I would like re-direct your question by asking our peers to list the qualifications and skills that you think a moderator should have. That will help the moderators to make improvement, and help others to know how to prepare himself/herself to be a good candidate.

Kevin

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Accountability? Jan 4, 2007

Moderators should be paid so that they are 'accountable'...

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
We are held accoutable. Jan 4, 2007

Lesley McLachlan wrote:

Moderators should be paid so that they are 'accountable'...

Hi Lesley,

Accoutability is not guaranteed by money but by self-discipline. Even though the moderators at this website are not paid, we are held accountable for the work we do. The same applies to users. This is how this website is run and peers interact.

BTW, this topic was discussed elsewhere at this website. As it is related to moderators in general, it is not appropriate to post it here!

Best,
Jianjun

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Privacy and Security? Jan 4, 2007

Privacy and Security? Moderators have privileged access to a lot of information...

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Qualifications for moderators Jan 5, 2007

TongliUSA wrote:

Talking about the qualifications and skills, I would like re-direct your question by asking our peers to list the qualifications and skills that you think a moderator should have. That will help the moderators to make improvement, and help others to know how to prepare himself/herself to be a good candidate.

Kevin

lead by example
be authentic...be principled...
set a tone...gain respect...
raise the standing of the site

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Moderators should be 'fixed-term' Jan 5, 2007

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

Hi Lesley,

Accoutability is not guaranteed by money but by self-discipline. Even though the moderators at this website are not paid, we are held accountable for the work we do. The same applies to users. This is how this website is run and peers interact.

BTW, this topic was discussed elsewhere at this website. As it is related to moderators in general, it is not appropriate to post it here!

Best,
Jianjun

Power corrupts...

chica nueva
chica nueva
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Moderator skills and career path Jan 5, 2007

TongliUSA wrote:

Lesley,

Kevin

Moderators could be 'rotated' around the various forums at intervals for 'professional development'. Experienced moderators could become 'mentors'...

lingua franc (X)
lingua franc (X)
Local time: 09:53
Chinese to English
+ ...
thoughts in wild (before dinner...) Jan 5, 2007

A moderator should be invisible so to encourage free exchange of ideas from participants.

A moderator should not be involved in debating so to avoid taking sides or being perceived of doing that.

A moderator is the enforcer of rules, no matter how ‘bad’ some rules may be, and that only.

Weather a moderator should be paid or not, it’s a matter between the moderator and the site proprietor who may have his own idea of what a good moderator should be
... See more
A moderator should be invisible so to encourage free exchange of ideas from participants.

A moderator should not be involved in debating so to avoid taking sides or being perceived of doing that.

A moderator is the enforcer of rules, no matter how ‘bad’ some rules may be, and that only.

Weather a moderator should be paid or not, it’s a matter between the moderator and the site proprietor who may have his own idea of what a good moderator should be in order to serve the best interest of the site. It’s a business decision after all.
Collapse

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:53
Chinese to English
+ ...
羊毛出在羊身上 Jan 5, 2007

That's my opinion. ProZ.com has its business model, and most of the money probably comes from paying members.

As non-paying members, I think it's ludicrous to be asking for the moon.

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:53
Chinese to English
+ ...
三人行,必有我师焉 Jan 5, 2007

It's not ProZ's policy that only paying members have the right to voice their opinions. Am I correct, Kevin?

Besides, the motivation for these discussions is to improve the running of the site. That would ultimately benefit us all, don't you think?

wherestip wrote:
That's my opinion. ProZ.com has its business model, and most of the money probably comes from paying members.

As non-paying members, I think it's ludicrous to be asking for the moon.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Don't twist what I said, please Jan 5, 2007

Pei Ling Haußecker wrote:

It's not ProZ's policy that only paying members have the right to voice their opinions. Am I correct, Kevin?

Besides, the motivation for these discussions is to improve the running of the site. That would ultimately benefit us all, don't you think?

Did I ever say that?

Lesley can say whatever she wants to. Whether it makes sense or not, depends on one's IQ I think.

[Edited at 2007-01-05 22:12]

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:53
Chinese to English
+ ...
Well said Jan 5, 2007

lingua franca wrote:

Weather a moderator should be paid or not, it’s a matter between the moderator and the site proprietor who may have his own idea of what a good moderator should be in order to serve the best interest of the site. It’s a business decision after all.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
This might sound ridiculous Jan 5, 2007

Pei Ling Haußecker wrote:

lingua franca wrote:

And please clarify if you care to.

Are you the one that caused all the unpleasantness in this forum over Christmas?

[Edited at 2007-01-05 22:12]

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Qualifications and Skills of Moderator and Users in Chinese Forum?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »