https://www.proz.com/forum/chinese/6653-thanks_for_helping_out_on_article_re%3A_taiwan_film_makers.html

Thanks for helping out on article re: Taiwan film-makers
Thread poster: liberation
liberation
liberation  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
Nov 27, 2002

Over the last 2-3 days I have posted at least ten KudoZ questions, as I was translating a magazine article reporting on Taiwanese film producers working in the mainland.

Just want to say thanks to all of you who helped out! Some of the questions were, I admit, a bit pathetic; You would THINK a native speaker of English would know the answers but, well, I didn\'t.

But I do appreciate each attempt to find the right word or enlighten me about my (mis) inte
... See more
Over the last 2-3 days I have posted at least ten KudoZ questions, as I was translating a magazine article reporting on Taiwanese film producers working in the mainland.

Just want to say thanks to all of you who helped out! Some of the questions were, I admit, a bit pathetic; You would THINK a native speaker of English would know the answers but, well, I didn\'t.

But I do appreciate each attempt to find the right word or enlighten me about my (mis) interpretations of the Chinese.

Xiexie dajia!

[addsig]
Collapse

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
Chinese to English
+ ...
Nobody knows it all except my Dad Nov 27, 2002

Hey, I\'m sure it\'ll be my turn soon, too...none of us have yet found the perfect implantable \"instant perfect omniscient balanced bilingual\" chip (just slide it in behind your ear and you\'ll know it all!)

I did a press conference the other day with Dong Zhicheng (Tung Chi-cheng?) as a speaker -- those TW filmmakers are a wild bunch, for sure!! He decided that he was probably descended from crocodiles rather than the origi
... See more
Hey, I\'m sure it\'ll be my turn soon, too...none of us have yet found the perfect implantable \"instant perfect omniscient balanced bilingual\" chip (just slide it in behind your ear and you\'ll know it all!)

I did a press conference the other day with Dong Zhicheng (Tung Chi-cheng?) as a speaker -- those TW filmmakers are a wild bunch, for sure!! He decided that he was probably descended from crocodiles rather than the original humans in Africa...
Collapse

Yongmei Liu
Yongmei Liu  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:24
English to Chinese
+ ...
Call it "traveler's dysphasia" Nov 27, 2002

Some of the questions were, I admit, a bit pathetic; You would THINK a native speaker of English would know the answers but, well, I didn\'t.

I probably have the same impairment with my own native tongue.

Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.
Terry Thatcher Waltz, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:24
Chinese to English
+ ...
You can say that again Nov 28, 2002

Ain\'t it the truth!

Some days I feel like I\'m the only interpreter in the world with one \"C\" language and one \"F\" language, instead of an \"A\" and a \"B\" like everybody else.

Ah well, we soldier bravely on....

I don\'t think your questions were stupid at all. Writing in and asking what the word \"dian4ying3\" meant might have crossed the line in this case, but I don\'t think that asking about specific industry-related terms is inappropr
... See more
Ain\'t it the truth!

Some days I feel like I\'m the only interpreter in the world with one \"C\" language and one \"F\" language, instead of an \"A\" and a \"B\" like everybody else.

Ah well, we soldier bravely on....

I don\'t think your questions were stupid at all. Writing in and asking what the word \"dian4ying3\" meant might have crossed the line in this case, but I don\'t think that asking about specific industry-related terms is inappropriate. Also, you didn\'t post 35 million inquiries so that by putting them in the correct order, we could reconstruct your entire source text....

Cheers

Terry
Collapse

Chinoise
Chinoise  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:24
English to Chinese
+ ...
So nice! Nov 28, 2002

Quote:

Quote:

I see with half an eye that we see eye to eye with each
... See more
Quote:

Quote:

I see with half an eye that we see eye to eye with each other in this regard.In my heart of hearts, I find it necessary to see beyond one\'s nose that Chinese NSs and English NSs have so many complementary advantages which are evidently so nice!

Cheers!

Best regards,

Betty

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Thanks for helping out on article re: Taiwan film-makers

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »