Rules for Translating Divided Sentence in Subtitles
Thread poster: Di Wu
Di Wu  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 6, 2007

When translating subtitles, the sentences are sometimes broken by commas and become two or morel lines. When translating into Chinese, it poses a unique challenge because the grammar of the Chinese language is so different. What is the first half of an English sentence is sometime the second half of the Chinese sentence. How should I handle this kind of situation?

Direct link Reply with quote

Wenjer Leuschel  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 10:53
English to Chinese
+ ...
It all depends on the concrete situation. Mar 6, 2007

Di Wu wrote:

When translating subtitles, the sentences are sometimes broken by commas and become two or morel lines. When translating into Chinese, it poses a unique challenge because the grammar of the Chinese language is so different. What is the first half of an English sentence is sometime the second half of the Chinese sentence. How should I handle this kind of situation?

Hi Di Wu,

Subtitle translation is sometime not easy. However, there is always a way to solve the problem. It all depends on the concrete situation.

I have been translating subtitle since 7 years. There are really a lot of tricks to break a dialogue into lines and frames. The most important is to fit the fragments right into the time frames provided by the dialogue situation. To explain this, we need examples, real situations.

When I have some time, I will look for examples in the subtitles I have done before. I do believe that they are easily to be found.

However, it would be nice if you please provide us some examples which you encountered.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rules for Translating Divided Sentence in Subtitles

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs