Mobile menu

Rules for Translating Divided Sentence in Subtitles
Thread poster: Di Wu
Di Wu  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
Mar 6, 2007

When translating subtitles, the sentences are sometimes broken by commas and become two or morel lines. When translating into Chinese, it poses a unique challenge because the grammar of the Chinese language is so different. What is the first half of an English sentence is sometime the second half of the Chinese sentence. How should I handle this kind of situation?

Direct link Reply with quote

Wenjer Leuschel  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 22:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
It all depends on the concrete situation. Mar 6, 2007

Di Wu wrote:

When translating subtitles, the sentences are sometimes broken by commas and become two or morel lines. When translating into Chinese, it poses a unique challenge because the grammar of the Chinese language is so different. What is the first half of an English sentence is sometime the second half of the Chinese sentence. How should I handle this kind of situation?

Hi Di Wu,

Subtitle translation is sometime not easy. However, there is always a way to solve the problem. It all depends on the concrete situation.

I have been translating subtitle since 7 years. There are really a lot of tricks to break a dialogue into lines and frames. The most important is to fit the fragments right into the time frames provided by the dialogue situation. To explain this, we need examples, real situations.

When I have some time, I will look for examples in the subtitles I have done before. I do believe that they are easily to be found.

However, it would be nice if you please provide us some examples which you encountered.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rules for Translating Divided Sentence in Subtitles

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs