Thread poster: Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 1, 2007

I hooked up my laptop (HP) to TV yesterday to use the TV as a monitor last night. To switch between the monitors, i had to use the "Fn" key. I have been doing this a lot in the past and never had any problem with it.

This morning, however, I found that my "Fn" key is acting funny. For every key that has a "Fn" function with it (my definition, meaning that it is assigned a certain function or symbol when pressed while holding "Fn" down at the same time), the normal leter won't sho
... See more
I hooked up my laptop (HP) to TV yesterday to use the TV as a monitor last night. To switch between the monitors, i had to use the "Fn" key. I have been doing this a lot in the past and never had any problem with it.

This morning, however, I found that my "Fn" key is acting funny. For every key that has a "Fn" function with it (my definition, meaning that it is assigned a certain function or symbol when pressed while holding "Fn" down at the same time), the normal leter won't show up, unless i hold down "Fn" key or press it at least once before i input the letter in.

For example, letters m, p, l on my key board have "Fn" function, so to type "example", I had to go "e-x-a-Fn-m-Fn-p-Fn-l-e".

More information:
- I tried and found that pressing Fn two times works the same as pressing it one time, but no matter how many times i press it, it works for only the next one key that has "Fn" function associated.

- If the Fn associated symbol is a symbol other than a letter or a number, the Fn associated symbol may show up by default. For example, when I input p, by default it inputs "-", because that is the "Fn" function associated with it.

- It doesn't matter how long i wait after I pressed the Fn key, it will work for one, and only one, "Fn" function associated key I input next.

I wish someone can imagine how much trouble i went through-- more than 1/3 of my keys have some "Fn" function associated with them! Really need some help here.

[Edited at 2007-04-01 13:05]

[标题已经过网站人员或版主的修改 2007-04-02 00:48]

[标题已经过网站人员或版主的修改 2007-04-02 01:04]
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 10:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
A Suggestion Apr 1, 2007

[Fn] key is always a problem on laptops. It's better to avoid using it.

Since you have already used it for switching between the TV monitor, try to switch back to laptop monitor and disconnect the TV one. Deinstall the switching function of monitors, press [Fn] twice and retart the laptop for a flush. Maybe this can solve your problem.

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Didn't work Apr 1, 2007

Hi Wenjer,

i already disconnected the computer from TV last night, and restarted the computer this morning. After seeing your post, i re-connected the computer to TV and then started it again. Didn't work. But thank you very much for trying, Wenjer.

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

[Fn] key is always a problem on laptops. It's better to avoid using it.

Since you have already used it for switching between the TV monitor, try to switch back to laptop monitor and disconnect the TV one. Deinstall the switching function of monitors, press [Fn] twice and retart the laptop for a flush. Maybe this can solve your problem.

franksf
franksf
Chinese to English
What is your HP laptop model? Apr 1, 2007

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00028945&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Fn and F8
Turns the built-in keypad on and off (does not affect an external keyboard)

Numeric functions remain active if Num Lock is on

Cursor control
... See more
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00028945&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Fn and F8

Cursor control remains active

Let us know the model and we can search HP's site, or you may call HP

HP and Compaq products 800-HP invent
or
800-474-6836 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for most products U.S.: English and Spanish for most products.
Collapse

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Solved! Apr 1, 2007

I went through every key with "Fn" function, and found one that has a blue keyboard symbol or something like that. After I pressed that one, everything went back to normal. I must have pressed that key by mistake last night.

Soo nice to be able to type smoothly again!!!

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 10:36
English to Chinese
+ ...
Congratulations! Apr 1, 2007

Shaunna wrote:

I went through every key with "Fn" function, and found one that has a blue keyboard symbol or something like that. After I pressed that one, everything went back to normal. I must have pressed that key by mistake last night.

Soo nice to be able to type smoothly again!!!

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Wenjer! Apr 1, 2007

It indeed feels good.

Shaunna (X)
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you franksf Apr 2, 2007

Yes it was exatly f8 that I ended up with solving the problem. Thank you so much for helping.

Would be nice if posts from non-members can show up faster.

franksf wrote:

Fn and F8

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Please help with a computer problem: the "Fn" key

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »