Single symbol translation
Thread poster: amidan81
amidan81
amidan81
English to Polish
Jun 17, 2007

Hi Guys,

I really need your help. I need to find out the meaning of a symbol. I'm not even exactly sure if it is a chinese alphabet symbol. If not - could you please give me a hint what kind of symbol is it? I found the symbol on an old candle, here's a photo of it:

http://strony.aster.pl/mpiet/candle_symbol.jpg

Thanks in adavace, this is kind of impor
... See more
Hi Guys,

I really need your help. I need to find out the meaning of a symbol. I'm not even exactly sure if it is a chinese alphabet symbol. If not - could you please give me a hint what kind of symbol is it? I found the symbol on an old candle, here's a photo of it:

http://strony.aster.pl/mpiet/candle_symbol.jpg

Thanks in adavace, this is kind of important to me,

Thanks,

Ami
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:52
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Qi - Energy Jun 17, 2007

Hi Ami,

This is indeed a Chinese character. It means "energy" or "air", and it is pronounced "qi". The same "qi" as in "Taiqi".

If you have more terminological questions, the best place to go and ask is Kudoz here on Proz.com (click on 'Ask question' under the 'Kudoz' tab at the top of this site).

Cheers,
Stefanie

By the way, the printed version of this character would be in traditional Chinese and ... See more
Hi Ami,

This is indeed a Chinese character. It means "energy" or "air", and it is pronounced "qi". The same "qi" as in "Taiqi".

If you have more terminological questions, the best place to go and ask is Kudoz here on Proz.com (click on 'Ask question' under the 'Kudoz' tab at the top of this site).

Cheers,
Stefanie

By the way, the printed version of this character would be in traditional Chinese and in simplified Chinese characters.

[Edited at 2007-06-17 23:33]
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 02:52
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes, it's a Chinese character. Jun 17, 2007

氣 (Qi), that's a Traditional Chinese character, standing for the air, 气, you inhale,like the food, 米 (rice), you take in, or the gas, 气, you let go, either like an explosion or like a singing song. So, when you explode, you 生气 (in Simplified Chinese) or 生氣 (in Traditional Chinese) --- that is, a lot of gas occurs inside you.

Well, this character stands also for the spirit circulating inside and outside you. So, there is always a right spirit circulating around us,
... See more
氣 (Qi), that's a Traditional Chinese character, standing for the air, 气, you inhale,like the food, 米 (rice), you take in, or the gas, 气, you let go, either like an explosion or like a singing song. So, when you explode, you 生气 (in Simplified Chinese) or 生氣 (in Traditional Chinese) --- that is, a lot of gas occurs inside you.

Well, this character stands also for the spirit circulating inside and outside you. So, there is always a right spirit circulating around us, which is called 正气.

Very interesting one, this symbol (character).
Collapse

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:52
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Jun 17, 2007

Definition gas; air; smell; weather; vital breath; to make sb. angry; to get angry; to be enraged

http://www.yellowbridge.com/language/wordsearch.php?PHPSESSID=264a0bd643fe1893201958d6f69fbd3e&searchMode=C&word=氣&select=whole&search=Search

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Single symbol translation

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »