Off topic: What is the text in Chinese?
Thread poster: donkapone
donkapone
donkapone
Local time: 06:58
English to Lithuanian
Jun 20, 2007

So the deal is that I've gotten very interested in ancient chinese philosophy, and I've found a really intersting looking interpretation of Taijitu, but I cannot figure out what the text says in it - www.abaldai.lt/taijitu.jpg it's something about fight and treasure... can anybody help me? Thank you...

[标题已经过网站人员或版主的修改 2007-06-21 23:14]

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:58
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
以无法为有法、以无限为有限--李小龙 Jun 21, 2007

《以无法为有法、以无限为有限;他化自在、如影随形》- [ Translate this page ]1、李小龙:“以无法为有法,以无限为有限”。 作者:所谓“以无法为有法”,第一层浅解是: 没有一成不变的事物,所以也没有一成不变的方法;要解决实际问题,就必须根据 ...
bbs2.xilubbs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/view
... See more

《以无法为有法、以无限为有限;他化自在、如影随形》- [ Translate this page ]1、李小龙:“以无法为有法,以无限为有限”。 作者:所谓“以无法为有法”,第一层浅解是: 没有一成不变的事物,所以也没有一成不变的方法;要解决实际问题,就必须根据 ...
bbs2.xilubbs.com/cgi-bin/bbs/view?forum=eett&message=437 - 30k - Cached - Similar pages

【贵州碟友会】以无法为有法.以无限为有限:功夫最高境界!_DVD ...- [ Translate this page ]推荐【贵州碟友会】以无法为有法.以无限为有限:功夫最高境界! 在春光明媚的早晨.我打开了电视和DVD机慢慢欣赏这部以我们中国功夫.以"李小龙"为偶像的韩国电影为题材. ...
www.dvdspring.com/Article_Show.asp?ArticleID=655 - 28k - Cached - Similar pages

[Edited at 2007-06-21 20:23]
Collapse

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 11:58
English to Chinese
+ ...
I suppose that you don't read Chinese. Jun 21, 2007

donkapone wrote:

So the deal is that I've gotten very interested in ancient chinese philosophy, and I've found a really intersting looking interpretation of Taijitu, but I cannot figure out what the text says in it - www.abaldai.lt/taijitu.jpg it's something about fight and treasure... can anybody help me? Thank you...

Hi Don Capone,

Here the one answering you is Lucky Luciano. I suppose you don't read Chinese. So, let me explain the pictoral interpretation of Taiji as wrong to you in plain English in the following.

As you know, Taiji incorporates two forces, a soft one and a hard one, or an easy one and a hard one. These are Yin and Yang. The Way of life is always expressed in these two forces. A man cannot go the hard way all the time. He must compensate his hard doing with easy going, so that his way of living reaches a harmonized state like the Taiji expresses.

Now, let's look at the picture you referred to. The two forces are both hard forces, a dragon and a tiger. They are competing and not harmonizing. We say in Chinese, "When a dragon and a tiger compete against each other, there must be one of them who gets the hurt." This is not the Way depicted in the Taiji. Therefore, this pictoral interpretation is wrong.

By the way, the "tu" in "Taijitu" means "picture," that is, Taijitu = Picture of Taiji.

[Edited at 2007-06-21 22:14]

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:58
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Taoist, Laozi and Twenty-Eight Constellations... Jun 21, 2007

Hello, donkapone

I saw your post was transfered to the Chinese Forum by our moderator. I believe this is the right place for your post. You have already received the nice responses from my colleagues. I assume you do not read Chinese. Here is my response in English.

It is indeed a piece of impressive graphic art. I also can tell this is not done by a person who can read Chinese, because the Chinese gibberish characters around the Yin and Yang circular disk disclosed the
... See more
Hello, donkapone

I saw your post was transfered to the Chinese Forum by our moderator. I believe this is the right place for your post. You have already received the nice responses from my colleagues. I assume you do not read Chinese. Here is my response in English.

It is indeed a piece of impressive graphic art. I also can tell this is not done by a person who can read Chinese, because the Chinese gibberish characters around the Yin and Yang circular disk disclosed the graphic artist’s disadvantage in this regard. I do not know exactly how to answer your question in a simple way. But I will try. When you look at an art work, different person will have different interpretation.

I assume you have already heard about the Yin and Yang theory, which is a Taoist approach to interpret each and everything in the world. They believe that the state of peace and tranquility will be eventually achieved only when the Yin and Yang get balanced by energy. Their founding father Laozi’s theory about the harmonious co-existence of human beings and the natural environments made Taoist more popular than ever before in both China and the western world, especially when the earth gets hit by natural disasters so frequently nowadays.

According to the Taoist theory, the “Green Dragon” and “White Tiger” are two of the four symbolic elements in the Chinese twenty-eight constellations (二十八宿) in the ancient astronomy. Each element represents one of the four quadrants of the sky. The four elements are as follows:

1. Heavenly Dragon (苍龙) or Green Dragon (青龙) represents the Eastern sky;
2. Vermillion Bird (朱雀) represent the Southern sky;
3. White Tiger (白虎) represents the Western sky;
4. Black Warrior (玄武) represents the Northern sky.

With the above-mentioned information in mind, you can see that the artist might be trying to portrait a balanced state of the Eastern world and the Western world in his artwork. It is always a nice thing to do to keep such wish alive, but I am not sure if we are there yet.

For those Chinese readers, I also found the following interesting article:

http://www.esunc.com/View/View.asp?OP=PerformDiscuss_VIEW&PerformDiscussID=102

“四方:中国古代的四方——东、西、南、北,对应着青龙、白虎、朱雀、玄武四方星宿和四种色彩。这中国四大神兽和祥瑞,来自中国古代最有想象力的历史记载《山海经》;这四个神兽和祥瑞一直陪随着中国人从远古一直走到现代;作为中国古代典型创意和中国古代人的理想,每一个祥瑞都由无数相关的神话传说元素组成,代表了中国古代原创的文化创意。”

[修改时间: 2007-06-22 05:54]
Collapse

donkapone
donkapone
Local time: 06:58
English to Lithuanian
TOPIC STARTER
interesting Jun 22, 2007

very interesting opinions, i'll try to do even more research about it...

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:58
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
左青龍,右白虎 Jun 22, 2007

所謂四方,二十八宿現已通俗化,特別是左青龍,右白虎已用在風水,武術,甚至黑社會之上。看圖好像是武館的標誌,加上李小龍的說話,多少
不是在談陰陽,總覺得有點邪氣。
www.eng.taoism.org.hk/daoist-beliefs/immortals&immortalism/pg2-4-3-4.asp

[Edited at 2007-06-22 16:43]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the text in Chinese?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »