Agencies, Beware of cheaters!
Thread poster: Libin PhD
Libin PhD
Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Jun 29, 2007

Agency people, beware of cheaters.

Another copy cat who copied my resume and sent to hundreds of agency eamils. This time, this person goes a little too far: she PSed my ATA certificate and remove my name and put her name on it and send to 427 people. I received several of such resume in the last serveral months.

I verified on ATA directory that there is no such peson named Phoebe Leong Yit Yin who is a certified English>Chinese translator and her fake certificate loo
... See more
Agency people, beware of cheaters.

Another copy cat who copied my resume and sent to hundreds of agency eamils. This time, this person goes a little too far: she PSed my ATA certificate and remove my name and put her name on it and send to 427 people. I received several of such resume in the last serveral months.

I verified on ATA directory that there is no such peson named Phoebe Leong Yit Yin who is a certified English>Chinese translator and her fake certificate looks exactly the same as mine and is issued on the same date (April 13, 2000) as mine

See the fake certificate.

Here is the link to my resume:
www.asiana.com/CV-BinLi.html

Here is the copy cat's resume:

PHOEBE LEONG YIT YIN

12,Persiaran Bekor 33,Taman Pertama,30100, Ipoh,Perak,Malaysia

[email protected]

English > Chinese is my forte
in addition to premium English > Chinese translation.

Tel: +60125176566

PROFILE:

I am a chartered accountant (ACCA equivalent) and commenced my career with PricewaterhouseCoopers since 1999. Being a freelancer/translator of many local and overseas agencies, ever since September 1999, I've translated over 3 million words of various materials in 8 years.

I am a Malaysian so I can speak fluent Mandarin, English, Cantonese and Malay. I can translate financial, legal, business and technical texts for quoted companies, the EEC, major banks, lawyers, accountants, publishers, researchers and small businesses.

CREDENTIALS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS

1,500+ projects completed since September 1999 (Full time freelance since 08/2002)
ATA Certified English-Chinese translator, (American Translators Association Certificate).
Member of U.K. Institute of Translation & Interpreting (ITI)
Lifetime Member, Malaysian Translators Association (Merit-based admission, not fee-based.)
Strong business, accounting and auditing background as a ACCA member (ACCA- a world's largest and fastest-growing global professional accountancy body ) and (BSs (Hons) in Applied Accounting) from Oxford Brookes University UK and MBA from University of Cambridge.
Published approximately 30 research papers in both English and Chinese.
Over 9 years of translation and interpreting experience.
COMPUTER SKILLS:

DTP: QuarkXPress 7, FrameMaker 7.2, PageMaker 7.0.2, InDesign CS2 and PowerPoint.
Graphics: Illustrator, PhotoShop, Corel Draw, AutoCAD and Flash.
Translation: TRADOS 6.5.5, Déjà vu and Office 2003 Pro with Proofing Tool.
Localization: CATALYST, RoboHelp Office, IIDS and WebWorks Pro.
Voice Over: Studio quality audio for CD promotion or online multimedia project.
PC & Mac: Windows XP Pro & Mac OS 9.2.2 (Asian QuarkXPress can only run on Mac OS 9).
High speed Internet connection and FTP server for effective large file transfer.
scanner, printer, fax machine
Here are just a few projects that I have done :

TRANSLATION EXPERIENCE

English Into Chinese

Legal - Completed dozens of complaints and counterclaims translation projects in civil cases as well as translation of other legal documents such as contracts and agreements. Translated and proofread 8 PCT patents in the areas of medicine, pharmaceutical and electronics.
Business & Financial - Translated Toyota Dealership Performance Simulation, Franchise Manuals of PNEUS EXPERT and CONTI CLUB, invitation for bid material for PSA PEUGEOT CITROEN. Completed translation of management consulting materials for Development Dimensions International Asia. I also translated accounting books, case studies for MBA courses, etc.
Technical & Medical - Completed translation projects of Cancer-Matrix Manual (Fourth Edition), 2007 precedent golf car owner's manual, 2007 INT VRSC Models Owner's Manual for Harley-Davidson Motorcycles, Load Commutated Inverter User's Manual, product manuals for Osim, to name just a few.
Chinese Into English

Legal & Patents - Completed translation of 37 China pantens in chemical, mechanical, and telecommunications; 1200 pages of intellectual property documents for a law firm based in New York, USA , and various kinds of consents, for example informed consent to participate a research study.
Business & Financial - Translated business plans, case studies, agreements, employee surveies, annual reports and many more.
Technical & Medical - Completed translation of a geological report, Verification Report On Sterilization Performance Of Ethylene Oxide, etc.

-SBS Language Services, Sydney, Australia

-NILNAV Orthopaedics Pty Ltd, Australia

-Spruson & Ferguson, Sydney, Australia

-Zara Law Offices, New York, USA

-RYKONO International Pty Ltd

-Avalon Language Services, Dallas, USA

-SYNCHEM Laborgemeinschaft OHG, Kassel, Germany

- Elite Translations, Taipei, Taiwan

-Academy Translations, Australia

-KHOITC, Atlanta, USA

Below is my one of my project (website)

http://www.fedex.com/cn/

Reference :
Mr. Lee chan keat Email: [email protected] (Philip company)

Ms. Lee cheng cheng Email: [email protected] (Pricewaterhousecoopers, Malaysia)

Below is my one of my project (website)

http://www.fedex.com/cn/

Areas of principal expertise

- Financial statements of banks, quoted industrial and service companies
- Lawyer's client letters on tax and commercial matters
- Bank Prospectus
- Accounting Principles
- Contracts
- Court proceedings
- Insurance documentation/claims/policies, etc.
- Bank trading web site
- Management Reporting Manual
- Social sciences
- Auditing
- travel guides
- music
- psychology
- Telecommunications
- Movie subtitling

Language pairs: Native language: Chinese (mandarin and cantonese)

English to Chinese (both simplified and traditional)

Chinese to English

English to Malay

Malay to English

Chinese to Malay

Malay to Chinese

EDUCATION:

- SPM(equivalent year 11 Australia): 11 As

- ACCA graduated: Sunway University College, Malaysia ,Graduated in 1999

- Subjects studied: Accountant in Business, Management Accounting, Financial Accounting, Corporate & Business Law, Taxation, Financial Reporting, Audit & Assurance, Performance management.

- (BSs (Hons) in Applied Accounting) from Oxford Brookes University UK in 2001

- MBA - University of Cambridge, 2005

- ATA Certified English-Chinese translator, (American Translators Association Certificate) since 2000

- Member of U.K. Institute of Translation & Interpreting (ITI) since 2002

- Lifetime Member, Malaysian Translators Association (Merit-based admission, not fee-based.) since 2002

[Edited at 2007-06-30 03:49]
Collapse

Libin PhD
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
说来你更难以相信 Jun 29, 2007

jyuan_us wrote:

she PSed my ATA certificate and remove my name and put her name on it and send to 427 people. I received several of such resume in the last serveral months.

你是怎麼發現此人的行為的﹖ 好奇。

她的427个Agency地址里面也包括了我的地址,直接寄给我的。这位是马来西亚的,以前国内的几位也是这样给我寄回来的,但是他们没有在认证方面造假。

[Edited at 2007-06-29 21:31]

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:05
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
天那 Jun 29, 2007

Libin PhD wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

she PSed my ATA certificate and remove my name and put her name on it and send to 427 people. I received several of such resume in the last serveral months.

你是怎麼發現此人的行為的﹖ 好奇。

A small World.

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
Chinese to English
很多人好像心浮氣噪 Jun 29, 2007

Libin PhD wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

你是怎麼發現此人的行為的﹖ 好奇。

發EMAIL出現這樣的笑話也正常。昨天就有一個PM﹐ 把她應該給她的CLIENT的INVOICE發給了我。我一看她給我的費用是她拿到的價格的25%。 我倒是無所謂﹐ 問題是HIRE到這樣的PM﹐ 將來公司被搞垮了老闆都不知道怎麼垮的。

Libin PhD
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
是啊 Jun 29, 2007

尤其现在发个邮件点一下鼠标就出去了,很容易弄错,所以你才会收到那张发票。

jyuan_us wrote:

Libin PhD wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

你是怎麼發現此人的行為的﹖ 好奇。

發EMAIL出現這樣的笑話也正常。昨天就有一個PM﹐ 把她應該給她的CLIENT的INVOICE發給了我。我一看她給我的費用是她拿到的價格的25%。 我倒是無所謂﹐ 問題是HIRE到這樣的PM﹐ 將來公司被搞垮了老闆都不知道怎麼垮的。

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
jyuan_us 開你一個玩笑 Jun 29, 2007

jyuan_us wrote:

把她應該給她的CLIENT的INVOICE發給了我。我一看她給我的費用是她拿到的價格的25%。 將來公司被搞垮了老闆都不知道怎麼垮的。

這裡她中有她,我中有我25%,我也給你搞垮至心浮氣噪 !請給我舉一個例子﹕若她給她100元,她給你多少?給你錢的是那個她?

Libin PhD
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
我已经先被弄胡涂了 Jun 29, 2007

PK的这个问题已经弄糊涂了一个了。

pkchan wrote:

jyuan_us wrote:

把她應該給她的CLIENT的INVOICE發給了我。我一看她給我的費用是她拿到的價格的25%。 將來公司被搞垮了老闆都不知道怎麼垮的。

這裡她中有她,我中有我25%,我也給你搞垮至心浮氣噪 !請給我舉一個例子﹕若她給她100元,她給你多少?給你錢的是那個她?

Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
题目 Jun 29, 2007

我觉得 Libin 应该考虑在题目中加上 "Agencies", 好更多引起agencies 的关注。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
Do you happen to know Jun 29, 2007

Hi Bin,

Do you happen to know this 中国专家翻译网 in China?

http://www.chinatranslation.net/translatorforeign/Phoebe.htm

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
Copycats Jun 30, 2007

There are more copycats out there than we may know. All of us should be aware of this problem and fight against it.

Last year, I posted in the forum talking about plagiarism in the translation field. I didn't point it clear since it involves guys around us.

I remember Zhou Dan mentioned plagiarism in book translation in that thread. But I didn't mean that. From a sentence in the profile to large parts of resumes, Donglai, Zhou Dan, I myself and some other colleagues ha
... See more
There are more copycats out there than we may know. All of us should be aware of this problem and fight against it.

Last year, I posted in the forum talking about plagiarism in the translation field. I didn't point it clear since it involves guys around us.

I remember Zhou Dan mentioned plagiarism in book translation in that thread. But I didn't mean that. From a sentence in the profile to large parts of resumes, Donglai, Zhou Dan, I myself and some other colleagues have all been subjects of abuse. There's probably no translator who doesn't mind being copied.

However, the present case is more outrageous than ever. Even the ATA certificate was copied and modified. As a matter of fact, just for fear of these shameless copycats, I took down from my website and profile pages all downloadable certificate, resumes and full-length sample translations.

I simply can't understand these guys. What a shame!
Collapse

Libin PhD
Chinese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
谢谢Shaunna的建议 Jun 30, 2007

Shaunna wrote:

我觉得 Libin 应该考虑在题目中加上 "Agencies", 好更多引起agencies 的关注。

谢谢Shaunna的建议,已经加上了。

Sunny Xia
Sunny Xia  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
真的是太过分了 Jun 30, 2007

天哪,人不能无耻到这种地步。

Xu Dongjun
Xu Dongjun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 20:05
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
过了 Jun 30, 2007

抄袭简历的格式似乎比较正常,但是伪造ATA证书实在是过了,品质为题。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:05
English to Chinese
+ ...
阴差阳错 Jun 30, 2007

Libin PhD wrote:

尤其现在发个邮件点一下鼠标就出去了,很容易弄错,......

这使我想起一位高中同学。当时他同时给两位女友寄信,地址没错,但装错了信封,其后果可想而知。 相比之下,现在点鼠标出错的几率似乎要高得多。:D

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies, Beware of cheaters!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »