[Edited at 2007-07-10 11:24]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
I'm afraid Jul 10, 2007

I can't handle such handshakes, though it's great fun.

Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:39
English to Chinese
+ ...
Lin Yutang's comment on barbarous Handshake Jul 10, 2007

To pay my respect to this great master, I copied his comment on handshake from **The Importance of Living**:

One great difference between Oriental and Occidental civilizations is that the Westerners shake each other's hands, while we shake our own. Of all the ridiculous Western customs, I think that of shaking hands is one of the worst. I may be very progressive and able to appreciate Western art, literature, American silk stockings, Parisian perfumes and even British battleships, but I cannot see how the progressive Europeans could allow this barbarous custom of shaking hands to persist to the present day. I know there are private groups of individuals in the West who protest against this custom, as there are people who protest against the equally ridiculous custom of wearing hats or collars. But these people don’t seem to be making any headway, being apparently taken for men who make mountains of molehills and waste their energy on trivialities. I am one of these men who are always interested in trivialities. As a Chinese, I am bound to feel more strongly against this Western custom than the Europeans, and prefer always to shake my own hands when meeting or parting from people, according to the time-honored etiquette of the Celestial Empire.
Of course, everyone knows this custom is the survival of the barbaric days of Europe, like the other custom of taking off one’s hat.

**Lin’s hygienic objections**: How are you to know Tom or Larry has not touched dirty things before stretching his hand and touching yours?

**Lin’s aesthetic and romantic objections**: When you put out your hand, you are at the mercy of the other person, who is at liberty to shake it as hard as he likes and hold it as long as he likes. …he may shake it violently until all your joints are ready to burst within you. Or a indifferent shake which has utterly lost all meaning, or the assertive, the retiring, the dishonest, weak and clammy hands which instinctively repel one...

Wow, I have never seen so detailed analysis of handshake than Lin’s.

[Edited at 2007-07-10 11:38]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

如此握手?!What a handshake!

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs