pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:07
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
要不要接機 Aug 24, 2007

“波士顿龙虾”會加在接機費用上,出鏡費,導遊,一席雅叙,在商言商,這是商業網站,按時鐘計,不是按字數\美仙算,DAVID可有8折優惠,要見才貌雙全的陳太,另議,要看她的SCHEDULE是否有空見你。戴安娜是因為她身邊的埃及人,才會有“狗崽队员”去逼迫她,香港人無問題,不要怕,相片如能過關,PK只能露背,其他不露,就這樣決定好了,已給你手機電話,一路順風,... See more
“波士顿龙虾”會加在接機費用上,出鏡費,導遊,一席雅叙,在商言商,這是商業網站,按時鐘計,不是按字數\美仙算,DAVID可有8折優惠,要見才貌雙全的陳太,另議,要看她的SCHEDULE是否有空見你。戴安娜是因為她身邊的埃及人,才會有“狗崽队员”去逼迫她,香港人無問題,不要怕,相片如能過關,PK只能露背,其他不露,就這樣決定好了,已給你手機電話,一路順風,見面才擁抱你,對,原來不是李可染,而是我可染。

David Shen wrote:

pkchan wrote:
...要打羊脂,染髮,健身才可見人,無PK大叔同意,登相免問。

pk兄,

Sorry, 我说要拿了相机去Boston, 你还真的被我逼(迫?)得要去染发?至少你还有头发可染,可小弟登门只为那盘“波士顿龙虾”。

也许跟你一席雅叙,可保我今后不至于沦落成追星逐铜的戴安娜都被他们逼死。
Collapse

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:07
Chinese to English
+ ...
Ansel Adams Aug 25, 2007

http://www.avrev.com/dvd/revs/anseladams.shtml

David,

I have this PBS documentary on DVD about Ansel Adams but have never gotten around to watching it. The other day it was shown on PBS; I got so absorbed I watched i
... See more
http://www.avrev.com/dvd/revs/anseladams.shtml

David,

I have this PBS documentary on DVD about Ansel Adams but have never gotten around to watching it. The other day it was shown on PBS; I got so absorbed I watched it through.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ansel_Adams
Collapse

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:07
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A Great San Franciscan Aug 26, 2007

Hi, PK and Steve,

Thank you PK, you don't need to pick me up at the airport or anything, the public transit in Boston is pretty good I know. I will call you when I arrive, and if I do get stuck at the airport, I will call!

I am busy like crazy. I am going to meet PK in a couple of days and still have a lot of work to do in and out. I mean I'd better dump some on PK, poems and stuff so he can work on it for me when I am running around in airports, if he is kind enough to
... See more
Hi, PK and Steve,

Thank you PK, you don't need to pick me up at the airport or anything, the public transit in Boston is pretty good I know. I will call you when I arrive, and if I do get stuck at the airport, I will call!

I am busy like crazy. I am going to meet PK in a couple of days and still have a lot of work to do in and out. I mean I'd better dump some on PK, poems and stuff so he can work on it for me when I am running around in airports, if he is kind enough to do so. I will pay him more for what I got, but look, by the time he serves me a Boston lobster, he lost half of whatever he made already!

I don't even have time to joke with him. Let him color his hair whichever way he wants!

Yah, Ansel Adams is one of the best, my favorite, when his black and white photography show came to Shanghai for the first time in the early 1980s, it took my breath away, and I have no idea that 10 years later, I was able to climb the same hills in California that he was shooting on. But don't expect me to be that good, OK! I mean he didn't have to worry about Trados and stuff, I do! And all the pin numbers you have to remember for your bank accounts, credit cards, and websites online accounts and ...... to make things easy? Numbers are most damaging to a creative mind you know. I will probably post one more picture before I leave, if I can find it, so as to add some color to our conversations. But these two are already found. That's where I will be next week.

Downtown Boston

Historic Building, Boston, very important in early American history as a colony. I took this 3 years ago and there is a story to be told about the lion on one side the the unicorn on the other at the top, but I forget what the details are. This should be very close to Chinatown.
Collapse

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
18年前,就在這裡外邊馬路 Aug 26, 2007

開了個紀念會,封了幾條街,小兒當時是念4年級,代表波士頓兒童獻花。DAVID 你去過的地方就不去了,看看我的環頭,陳太的唐人街大本營,她說可做陪客,其實想盯住我們兩個男人,有無行差踏錯。

David Shen wrote:

Downtown Boston

[Edited at 2007-08-26 01:09]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Supplemental Links Aug 26, 2007

David Shen wrote:

Historic Building, Boston, very important in early American history as a colony. I took this 3 years ago and there is a story to be told about the lion on one side the the unicorn on the other at the top, but I forget what the details are. This should be very close to Chinatown.

pkchan wrote:

18年前,就在這裡外邊馬路

開了個紀念會,封了幾條街,小兒當時是念4年級,代表波士頓兒童獻花。

David & pk,

I've been to Boston couple of times while living in that part of the country. I'm not much of a sightseer. So the only thing that really stuck in my mind was the frustration of the slow moving traffic driving through a tunnel near Logan Airport. I remember tuning into the AM radio stations just to find out how long it was going to take to get out of the traffic mess.

I found these 2 links that give a good description of the history of the Old State House of Boston shown by David.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_State_House_(Boston)

Interestingly, the Old State House still retains a unicorn and a lion on its east facade. Both are remants from the days when the building was the center of Royal government in London, as both the lion and unicorn are featured in the seal of the British monarch.

http://attractionguide.com/boston/

Old State House

As the Colonial government’s seat from 1713 until 1776, the Old State House is embellished with a gilded lion and unicorn -- symbols of British Imperial power. After the Redcoats fled in 1776, the Old State House served the independent Commonwealth until a replacement on Beacon Hill was ready. Actually its lion and unicorn were ripped off and tossed into a bonfire in 1776, but were returned to the east façade during an 1882 restoration. As the oldest surviving public building in Boston, the Old State House was built in 1713 to house government offices of the Massachusetts Bay Colony, standing where Boston's first Town House of 1657-8 burned in 1711. Official proclamations were read from the Old State House balcony, on the east side looking down State Street, called King Street before the Declaration of Independence. Beneath the balcony is where the Boston Massacre happened on March 5, 1770, when a squad of British soldiers fired into a taunting crowd, killing five men including Crispus Attucks, the first black to fall in the American Revolution. A circle of paving stones now marks the Massacre spot. Seven of the British soldiers were tried for murder, with John Adams representing them in court. Five were acquitted, while two were found guilty of manslaughter. In 1976, Queen Elizabeth II addressed Bostonians from the balcony. In 2013, a tercentennial for the building will be celebrated by the Bostonian Society, founded in 1982 to preserve the building.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
O/T, AM stations in tunnels Sep 16, 2007

wherestip wrote:

I remember tuning into the AM radio stations just to find out how long it was going to take to get out of the traffic mess.

I was watching my favorite TV show "Curb Your Enthusiasm" yesterday. And in one of the episodes, someone argues that only FM radio works in tunnels. Immediately I thought I had made a mistake here a while back.

But no, my recollection was correct. Although theoretically AM waves are too large to travel through tunnels, here's the reason why AM stations most of the times work in U.S. metropolitan tunnels. The fact that AM doesn't function in tunnels is utilized to broadcast traffic information instead ...

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/science/topics/bridges_and_tunnels/index.html?query=RADIO&field=des&match=exact

May 11, 1985 New York and Region News
MORE ON BRIDGES AND TUNNELS AND: HOLLAND TUNNEL (NYC)Radio Reception in Tunnel
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Beginning tomorrow, motorists driving through the south tube of the Holland Tunnel will not lose AM radio reception, the Port Authority announced. The rebroadcast system will allow motorists to pick up 20 stations and let the Authority override programs to broadcast traffic information. The system has been used in the center tube of the Lincoln Tunnel since May.

TRAFFIC NOW TUNED TO BOSTON'S TUNNEL RADIO
SPECIAL TO THE NEW YORK TIMES
In the Dewey Square Tunnel here, the usual static on car radios has been pre-empted by a stream of high-spirited voices advertising anything from horse races and car pooling to the Audubon Society. Motorists tuned to any AM station pick up Tunnel Radio, instead of silence or static, by the time they are a car's length into the 2,500-foot tunnel under South Station. ''The tunnel may be in the dark, but you don't have to be,'' says a message from the Department of Public Works, the state agency th...

[Edited at 2007-09-16 16:34]

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I am back for business! Oct 4, 2007

Dear Firends,

Finally I completed my 2nd move in a month and settled down in Marina, CA. The first apartment I initially moved into was a disappointment. Marina and Monterey are not far apart. I only need to drive 25 minutes (one way) to work in Monterey each morning during the weekdays. When I am driving down from the hill on the campus, I feel like driving into the ocean.

I also got my Internet service up running and I am back for business. It was a very tough 4 week
... See more
Dear Firends,

Finally I completed my 2nd move in a month and settled down in Marina, CA. The first apartment I initially moved into was a disappointment. Marina and Monterey are not far apart. I only need to drive 25 minutes (one way) to work in Monterey each morning during the weekdays. When I am driving down from the hill on the campus, I feel like driving into the ocean.

I also got my Internet service up running and I am back for business. It was a very tough 4 weeks when I could not access the Internet and check my emails. I hope you all do not have to go through such hectic transition. It was indeed miserable. But, my students like me a lot and each class is an enjoyable experience for me and the students. This is the biggest compensation to my hardship after all.

Thank you all for your patience in the past 4 weeks. Our moderators tried their best to cover my absence. My sincere thanks to Denyce and Enrique for their hard work. Denyce put her severe health issues aside and plunged into this full-time energy-consuming moderation service. Her big heart melted all the differences among us. Our standing ovation should go to such dedicated moderators.

Welcome our new addition Donglai on board! I recognize his balanced people skills and thinkings, and believe his service will bring positive influence to our community. I also expect you all to give him your full support and let our community be known as the shining model of unity, intellectual interaction and mutual helps.

Have a great day!

Kevin

[修改时间: 2007-10-05 02:39]
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
欢迎版主回来严格管理我的帖子 Oct 4, 2007

有时间给我们介绍介绍你的新工作和趣事

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
我怎么觉得波士顿比纽约干净 Oct 4, 2007

好像天空都更蓝?

David Shen wrote:

Downtown Boston

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Welcome back! Oct 4, 2007

Kevin,

你过去4个星期上不了网,有无“山中方一日,世上已千年”的感觉?:D

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Finally we have you back to the forum and I have you next to me. Oct 4, 2007

Kevin Yang wrote:
...When I am driving down from the hill on the campus, I feel like driving into the ocean.

Kevin,

Now that you have settled. Let's find a time to meet. Are you ready for dinner, fishing or crabbing? I am free on weekends, all day.

Every time I drive from Marina/Seaside back to Monterey, I feel the same thing, it is very much like “八大关” in Qingdao, with much less population.

PS
That's why it is really important when you have somebody in your car, you need to concentrate on driving, no matter what.:D

[Edited at 2007-10-04 17:40]

pkchan
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
不一樣的天空 Oct 4, 2007

與香港比較,波士頓的天空是蔚藍色的。待DAVID整理一些相片來看。

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Rip Van Winkle Oct 5, 2007

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Kevin,

你过去4个星期上不了网,有无“山中方一日,世上已千年”的感觉?:D

老孙,

上大学的时候读过Washington Irving的Rip Van Winkle。走了四个星期,如梦初醒,一切都显得很陌生和新鲜。

Kevin

[修改时间: 2007-10-06 02:10]

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
新鲜事多了去了,我会陆续向你和大家介绍。 Oct 5, 2007

chance wrote:

有时间给我们介绍介绍你的新工作和趣事

向同学,

看得出来,牵挂我的人是你。新鲜事多了去了,我会陆续向你和大家介绍。今天刚办理了加州的驾驶执照,我原来的俄勒冈州驾照四天前失效了。尽管在俄勒冈州开车快20年了,今天考加州驾照时,还是错了三个问题。DMV允许答错六个题,所以还是顺利过关。

Kevin

[修改时间: 2007-10-05 05:21]

Kevin Yang
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You are on the top of my list to call. Oct 5, 2007

Hello, Dave

You are on the top of my list to call. Apologize for postponing it. It had been hectic in the past 4 weeks. I will call you tomorrow and see if I can invite you over this weekend. Now my place is all cleaned up, but many boxes are still unpacked. My Mom is here with me and she might can prepare something for us in home cooking style.

Ciao!

Kevin

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Welcome to Monterey, CA!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »