Thread poster: David Shen
David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
Aug 23, 2007

Welcome Kevin, and all interested linguists, translators and interpreters. I am delighted that Kevin is coming this way. That's actually where I have been working and living for the past few years.

Monterey is a lovely scenic town on the central coast of California. Relatively small in population, it boasts a high concentration of language professionals. There are three major institutions in Monterey that deal with languages:

1. the MIS (Monterey Institute of Internat
... See more
Welcome Kevin, and all interested linguists, translators and interpreters. I am delighted that Kevin is coming this way. That's actually where I have been working and living for the past few years.

Monterey is a lovely scenic town on the central coast of California. Relatively small in population, it boasts a high concentration of language professionals. There are three major institutions in Monterey that deal with languages:

1. the MIS (Monterey Institute of International Studies, a reputable school, where Ting Ting in our forum is a member I believe);
2. the DLI (Defense Language Institute, an educational facility run by the US Dept. of Defense, mainly for military purposes); and
3. the LLS where I work (Language-Line Services, formally an AT&T affiliate and now independent but still the largest over-the-phone interpretation service provider in the world. We have several call centers in the Americas and one in England, but the one here in Monterey is the headquarters, and I am an incredibly good one here of course!)

Just last month our company sponsored a business meeting titled “Monterey, Language Capital of the World”. I am not sure if New Yorkers will get upset for this self-claimed title of ours, because at least 5 people out of 10 you talk to in the streets of New York actually speaks a language other than English, and somehow everybody gets his or her thing done through broken English just fine, in addition to the fact the United Nations is headquartered there in the Big Apple, but except insiders, few people know that this little tourist town of Monterey has such a formidable language force that ranks it among the strongest in the world.

Again, looking forward to the arrival of Kevin, our moderator. Expect to hear a lot of fun from both of us. The only worry I have is when I am sitting at the “Lover's Point” waiting for rabbits to come and bump into the tree, I have an incredibly strong rival now! But, the worries you guys/girls will have is going to be more than mine, because I am going to pull him out of his computer chair each Saturday or Sunday and ask him to go along with me into the wilderness for photographs, beaches, sea-weeds or crabs, fresh farm produce right here in the Salinas Valley or the numerous art galleries in Carmel... Anyway, that means no body will be trying to stop you guys from fighting each other, so you can fight it out by yourselves, because he would be on the beach somewhere in Big Sur, with me, or better yet a girl!

I sent this picture to Wenjer this morning in return to the beautiful photos he sent me by Taiwan artists. But this is appropriate to post it here upon my return from work tonight, it is Monterey, it is cool and calm. Look at the ducks taking off, this is for you Kevin, and for all of us translators taking off to different heights from where we were!

Best wishes to you and all!

David

Pebble Beach, Monterey

Collapse

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
I did not know you are right in that area. Aug 23, 2007

David Shen wrote:

Monterey is a lovely scenic town on the central coast of California. Relatively small in population, it boasts a high concentration of language professionals.

David,

Thank you for your warm invitation and breathtaking photo! I am so touched and my eyes are wet. Everyone I talked to has been telling me how beautiful Monterey is. Your studio-quality photo certainly tells all.

Wow, you have already made a wonderful plan for me. I cannot wait to explore each activity you would arrange for me. I have never dreamed to have an over-qualified and knowledge-packed local guide like you to get me orientated. I am certain that the first couple months I will be busy with exploring this area and surrounding places.

I did not know you are right in that area. I am so excited about this. To be honest, I am the one who is going to feel under "pressure" when being around with the super bright and multi-talented people like you and Li Bin.

My skill of catching sea crab is above average. I have the nets. We do that every year in Oregon coast. Now I know who to ask for help.

Kevin

[修改时间: 2007-08-23 17:00]

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Kevin, Aug 23, 2007

等有漂亮学生的照片也来几张

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:10
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
漂亮学生的照片? Aug 23, 2007

男的就往你那邊送,女的便要向這方傳。

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
那就不用了,贴在这里大家欣赏更好。 Aug 23, 2007

我以前在西点军校买过一张很漂亮的明信片,是一群毕业典礼狂欢的士官生,你只要看到照片就可以感受到那种狂欢气氛,可惜我怎么也想不起来放在哪儿了。

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:10
Chinese to English
+ ...
West Point Commencement Aug 23, 2007

http://www.defenselink.mil/dodcmsshare/newsstoryPhoto/2006-05/screen_20060527153328_17commencement2-20060527.jpg

<
... See more
http://www.defenselink.mil/dodcmsshare/newsstoryPhoto/2006-05/screen_20060527153328_17commencement2-20060527.jpg

http://www.defenselink.mil/dodcmsshare/newsstoryPhoto/2006-05/screen_20060527153748_17commencement3-20060527.jpg

http://www.defenselink.mil/news/newsarticle.aspx?id=15638

[Edited at 2007-08-23 18:30]
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Steven, 你真行,什么都能找到 Aug 23, 2007

就是这个场面,但是我买的那张是从士官生的近上空拍摄的,所以他们仰头欢笑的面孔清晰可见,很是动人。

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Broken English Aug 23, 2007

David Shen wrote:

Just last month our company sponsored a business meeting titled “Monterey, Language Capital of the World”. I am not sure if New Yorkers will get upset for this self-claimed title of ours, because at least 5 people out of 10 you talk to in the streets of New York actually speaks a language other than English, and somehow everybody gets his or her thing done through broken English just fine, in addition to the fact the United Nations is headquartered there in the Big Apple, but except insiders, few people know that this little tourist town of Monterey has such a formidable language force that ranks it among the strongest in the world.

David,

Great picture as always; and great scenery too.

I just happened to flip to the new game show "The Power of 10" the other evening, and there was this question, "What percentage of Americans believe that one needs to be able to speak fluent English to become a U. S. citizen?"

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what the correct answer was?

[Edited at 2007-08-23 19:28]

Shaunna (X)
Shaunna (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:10
English to Chinese
+ ...
Just for fun-- Aug 23, 2007

30?

wherestip wrote:

I just happened to flip to the new game show "The Power of 10" the other evening, and there was this question, "What percentage of Americans believe that one needs to be able to speak fluent English to become a U. S. citizen?"

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Different Opinions Aug 23, 2007

That just reminded me of a discussion we had way back when. PK started a thread about the proposal to make English the national language of this country (of course nothing came of it in Congress). Some of us had very different opinions, but we were able to express them congenially without ruffling anyone's feathers.

http://www.proz.com/post/352855#352855

peiling
peiling  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:10
Chinese to English
+ ...
我也来欢迎你! Aug 23, 2007

Carmel的屋子

Somewhere along Highway 1

Sea lions

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Anyone Else? Aug 23, 2007

Shaunna wrote:

30?

wherestip wrote:

Shaunna,

I'll hold off giving the answer in case anyone else would like to make a guess.

peiling
Germany
Chinese to English
+ ...
我心目中适合翻译的住处 Aug 23, 2007

Kevin可以考虑考虑.都是在Monterey附近拍的.

17-mile drive

这里也不错

Kevin Yang
Kevin Yang  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to Chinese
+ ...
My wild guess is 60. Aug 23, 2007

Steve,

My wild guess is 60.

Pei Ling,

Thank you! So you must be in the nearby areas, too. I do not have a clear idea about everyone's location, but I will soon find out.

Kevin

peiling
Germany
Chinese to English
+ ...
Aye Aug 23, 2007

1.5 h up north.
Kevin Yang wrote:
So you must be in the nearby areas, too. I do not have a clear idea about everyone's location, but I will soon find out.

Kevin

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Welcome to Monterey, CA!

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »