Off topic: An Apology: Reflection on My Faults
Thread poster: Wenjer Leuschel
Wenjer Leuschel  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 15:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
Sep 29, 2007

As the veteran Chinese community members all know, I have caused a kind of turmoil in the Chinese forum which lasted about four and half a month. For the uncomfortable atmosphere resulted from my insistence upon having my say, I sincerely apologize to all members of this community, to both the ones who helped me getting through this hard time and to those who might have been wishing to see my disappearance.

I should have had my mouth shut and take the humiliation when someone called me a liar with a story of Su Dongpo. The whole story could have ended there, if I didn’t mind being called a liar. Instead, I insisted upon a clarification and that not only led to a long period of pain on my side, but also caused the stress of the whole community. For this fault of mine, among others, I shall solemnly express my deepest apology to all of you.

I cannot recall how it came to the point when someone called me a liar, but I do recall when I started to insist upon a clarification. It was in the thread at http://www.proz.com/topic/76148 and later in the thread at http://www.proz.com/topic/76174. Should anyone of the estimated peers be not interested, he/she can skip reading the two short lived threads. What I am doing here is to point out why I insisted upon a clarification and the reasons of my later acting out.

After these two threads were locked, I posted two entries in English in the thread "Sing, Sing a Song…," so that the Management could read them. Those two postings led to a ban of my posting right for one month. I was wondering why, because all I wanted was to have a clarification. However, the one who banned me told me upon my request that I should have attacked someone’s person and criticize the style of asking questions of another person in KudoZ. At that time, I was also banned to ask and answer questions in KudoZ for the pair English into Chinese so that I came over to Chinese into English to insist upon a clarification.

When I was allowed to post entries in the forum again, there was an open letter addressing to me posted at http://www.proz.com/topic/79952 and my response on the letter (two entries) have been hidden soon after their appearance. Actually, I was explaining why I insist upon a clarification to Mme. Chance. I was arguing as well that the forum should allow everyone to have his/her words said when he/she felt unfair treated. On the other hand, I was also arguing that the moderators were not infallible and should be checked by the community members as well. However, my plea was unheard. And there came upon me a low volume action which restricted my posting right as a community member.

Now, I turned to insist upon my freedom of speech and it looked as if I were against the Management and the moderators as a whole by partial vetting of my posting entries. Nobody could understand then why I was stubbornly insisting upon my right of a full member in this community by the time. Even the ones who had been offering me soothing words turned to be anxious about my insistence. Most of them told me to let go with it because my insistence caused a bad atmosphere in the forum.

I pondered that any sound thinking persons would wonder the reasons why I insisted to have my say. I believed that it would come across their mind that whatever I was insisting upon might be the essentials of a community: Freedom of speech. I am a practitioner of Walter Lippman’s http://www.proz.com/topic/69144?start=12. So, I was prepared to face a public trial and I was also prepared to take all the consequences. What I needed was only a chance to say what I had to say. And I believed what I had to say would have impact on the following development of our community. Yes, I might be wrong. I was also prepared to accept any criticism against me, but I needed a public trial and the freedom to utter what was on my mind.

However, that was not of the interest of this website. I should have shut up and went away. But I insisted and caused quite a stress in the community. I did that because I believed in something that might be wrong: Freedom of speech. I wished that confrontations could lead each one of us to a better tomorrow. But I was totally wrong, because tomorrow will be just another day like yesterday or today. Human beings are born to err and err again. So, I apologize for my errors in insisting upon a clarification of being called a liar and upon the freedom of speech.

Please forgive me and let me shut up and just let do my contribution in answering some questions concerning German or Spanish language and cultures in KudoZ. I will remain silence about whatever happened in the forum from now on and chat only when people invite me to have my opinions uttered upon language, literature or business issues. The Chinese community shall go on as a happy family with/without me for I am not that important at all.

I know that some people might have been feeling uncomfortable with my way of promoting my business. I apologize for that, too. From now on I won’t have any business to promote. For collaboration, I will talk to the ones whose help I need by opportunities.

Thanks to those who have queried into my behaviour and have found their answers to keep a friendly peer-to-peer communication with me. Thank you for all the trouble you have made to understand me in an amiable light.

To those who are still in darkness with whatever I have posted or vetted to post, I apologize for having stressed your nerves. Please just ignore me. Without your invitation, I won’t bother you any longer.

Special thanks to Denyce and Donglai for their trust to let me have this apology posted. Since they are appointed moderators, they can have reviewed all the postings I made which are hidden. They know best what was going on. I must apologize for the trouble I caused them to read all the stuffs I wrote.

I sincerely ask you, all of my dear peers, to accept my apology and forgive my misjudgements and whatever wrongdoings you may have perceived. Then, just forget about all of whatever I had caused to happen. No pain, no gain; I have learned something of the tolerance of our community and I thank you for that.

The following story is about a better way to solve problems. With this story I wish you a nice weekend!

換個不難的角度

有一個老師,遇到了一個哭鬧不已的孩子。
為了轉移他的注意力,就把一張地圖撕得碎碎的,灑在地上,跟孩子說:『孩子,你如果可以把這些再拼回來,我就給你五毛錢。』
結果,不到十分鐘,孩子就拼好了!
『你怎麼拼這麼快?』老師問。
『啊,在地圖的後面是一個人像,我把這個人像的照片,拼在一塊然後翻過來,』孩子輕鬆地說:『我想,如果這個人是正確的,那麼,這個世界就是正確的。』
老師微笑遞給了他五毛錢。

Direct link Reply with quote

wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
Welcome Back Sep 29, 2007

Wenjer,

I hope this is a first step towards reinstating your privileges of posting in this forum. We are really going to miss you otherwise ... Look, chance already pledged that she won't post unless you're here to trade quips with her - Remember "Bosom Buddies"?

I think we're all talked out by this long drawn-out episode. I suggest we put all the unpleasantness behind us, and collectively turn over a new leaf in this forum.

With goodwill from all of us, we just might be able to put Humpty Dumpty back together again. As one of the members here, that's indeed my sincere wish

[Edited at 2007-09-30 12:52]

pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 03:20
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
文哲兄,歡迎你光榮歸隊 Sep 29, 2007

希望這不只是有道歉的自由,而是有真真正正的言論自由。

Andreas Yan  Identity Verified
English to Chinese
+ ...
Welcome back, Wenjer! Sep 29, 2007

I believe it is a good news for this community and welcome back, Wenjer!

ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Welcome back! Sep 29, 2007

Wenjer,

I was told yesterday that the ban was lifted from you, but it was beyond my expectation that you showed up with an apology. I admire your courage to admit fault on your part. I also admire your persistence in fighting for your right as a full member.

You have made contributions to this community. You are also one of the Chinese Localization Team. It is only fair to let you come back. I think the management made a wise decision not only in letting you come back, but also in adjusting the Chinese moderator team in an effort to have the wounds healed and the fences mended. Denyce and Donglai did a very good job in reflecting member's voices to the management during Kevin’s absence.

I’d like to say that please don’t blame yourself too much as it was not all your fault. As a matter of fact, it was not you who started this turmoil. We know very well what have happened.

I agree with what Steve said: “I suggest we put all the unpleasantness behind us, and collectively turn over a new leaf in this forum.”

Please come back more often whenever you have time! Thank you!

Xiaoping Fu  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:20
Chinese to English
+ ...
欢迎! Sep 29, 2007

文哲:

人非圣贤,孰能无过?知错能改,善莫大焉!

我与你曾经发生的冲突和此后长时间的紧张,也希望就此划个句号。我对自己当时过分的言辞再次向你道歉,也希望大家捐弃前嫌。我不记仇,相信你也不会。

小平

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Wenjer,

I was told yesterday that the ban was lifted from you, but it was beyond my expectation that you showed up with an apology. I admire your courage to admit fault on your part. I also admire your persistence in fighting for your right as a full member.

You have made contributions to this community. You are also one of the Chinese Localization Team. It is only fair to let you come back. I think the management made a wise decision not only in letting you come back, but also in adjusting the Chinese moderator team in an effort to have the wounds healed and the fences mended. Denyce and Donglai did a very good job in reflecting member's voices to the management during Kevin’s absence.

I’d like to say that please don’t blame yourself too much as it was not all your fault. As a matter of fact, it was not you who started this turmoil. We know very well what have happened.

I agree with what Steve said: “I suggest we put all the unpleasantness behind us, and collectively turn over a new leaf in this forum.”

Please come back more often whenever you have time! Thank you!

OneTa  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
Japanese to English
+ ...
欢迎文哲回来 Sep 29, 2007

想死我了。

Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
Reflecting on our past, thinking about our future Sep 29, 2007

Dear Wenjer and All,

I thought about this last night that all of us should now focus on our own shortcomings and other guys' strong points and reflect how we will build a better Chinese Forum.

To be frank, I think all of us concerned should apologize since we all have faults. The confrontations happened here were caused by different opinions on business conducts, way of moderating a forum/KudoZ and lots of misunderstandings. After that, when one person is attacked, he will try to justify the situation, causing more troubles. When such things are tangled together, facts are distorted and people turn bitter against each other and the vicious circle forms.

Someone likened what happened here to the notorious Cultural Revolution. As a matter of fact, it is far from it. There's no real conflict of interest in this forum. The day before yesterday I talked with Enrique about the forum issues and he observed that many peers regard the forum as a social club, while it is not. The problems arise when interest groups seem to form. Let's drop this idea from now on. This is only a workplace.

I think after this issue, all of us have something to learn. For me, I learned a lot about people and their behaviors. It's not necessary for anybody to shy away from beneficial discussions. Let's just focus on translation and forget about personal business conducts, politics and a number of other inappropriate discussions that may lead to arguments, confrontations and misunderstandings.

I sincerely hope that the old page is now truly turned and on a new page we are writing.

Best Regards,
Jianjun

[Edited at 2007-09-29 23:37]

Angus Woo
Chinese to English
+ ...
As long as it won't cost the freedom of others Sep 30, 2007

pkchan wrote:

希望這不只是有道歉的自由,而是有真真正正的言論自由。

I am on your side, pk 大叔。

的確,就像前輩所說,香港人已經無法習慣只聽指令,不問因由了。

Welcome Wenjer﹗

pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
是老人家多疑吧 Sep 30, 2007

如果道歉是換取自由的先決條件,這太看小文哲兄了,他絕不會同意這種陣前的交易。可是,PK叔仍不放心,才會這樣說。文革時,被打倒的有申辯的自由嗎?不明白為什麼要提起這些令人傷痛的事情,若要懷疑這普世的核心價值,回避這權利,還要在這裡說什麼。把這處弄成一個社交俱樂部,觸犯了那條規則,如果這就是中文會員間所認同的,誰能阻止。不錯,這裡不是烏拉邦,可是個杜鵑窩嗎?說到這裡,向在緬甸殉職的日本記者致以崇高的敬意。

ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
You are right! Sep 30, 2007

As far as I know, Wenjer's apology is not the pre-condition for his right to be resumed. Otherwise, he would rather choose to leave without saying anything.
pkchan wrote:

如果道歉是換取自由的先決條件,這太看小文哲兄了,他絕不會同意這種陣前的交易。

Libin PhD  Identity Verified
Chinese to English
+ ...
Welcome Back! Sep 30, 2007

Welcome Back! Wenjer.

ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Please think more about your own fault Sep 30, 2007

Jianjun,

Wenjer has already made his apology for his own fault. As a major part of the dispute, you should think more about what you did wrong and what you need to apologize for. Otherwise, this discussion could be turned into another round of disputes or something else. From my point of view, the dispute between you and Wenjer is mostly not a dispute between a moderator and an ordinary member, but a dispute between two ordinary members while one of them inappropriately used his power from time to time.
Jianjun Zhang wrote:

Dear Wenjer and All,

I thought about this last night that all of us should now focus on our own shortcomings and other guys' strong points and reflect how we will build a better Chinese Forum.

To be frank, I think all of us concerned should apologize since we all have faults. The confrontations happened here were caused by different opinions on business conducts, way of moderating a forum/KudoZ and lots of misunderstandings. After that, when one person is attacked, he will try to justify the situation, causing more troubles. When such things are tangled together, facts are distorted and people turn bitter against each other and the vicious circle forms.

Someone likened what happened here to the notorious Cultural Revolution. As a matter of fact, it is far from it. There's no real conflict of interest in this forum. The day before yesterday I talked with Enrique about the forum issues and he observed that many peers regard the forum as a social club, while it is not. The problems arise when interest groups seem to form. Let's drop this idea from now on. This is only a workplace.

I think after this issue, all of us have something to learn. For me, I learned a lot about people and their behaviors. It's not necessary for anybody to shy away from beneficial discussions. Let's just focus on translation and forget about personal business conducts, politics and a number of other inappropriate discussions that may lead to arguments, confrontations and misunderstandings.

I sincerely hope that the old page is now truly turned and on a new page we are writing.

Best Regards,
Jianjun

Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:20
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yueyin, Sep 30, 2007

Let's focus on our own shortcomings and stop pointing fingers at others.

I have been silent and refrained from retorting all false/distorted/invented accusations against me from you and one or two other friends for a long time. I think my patience is thick. But it doesn't mean that I have nothing to say.

Let's take this great opportunity and keep our promises and stop this topic and return the long overdue peace to this forum.

Your cooperation is much appreciated.

Best,
Jianjun

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Jianjun,

Wenjer has already made his apology for his own fault. As a major part of the dispute, you should think more about what you did wrong and what you need to apologize for. Otherwise, this discussion could be turned into another round of disputes or something else. From my point of view, the dispute between you and Wenjer is mostly not a dispute between a moderator and an ordinary member, but a dispute between two ordinary members while one of them inappropriately used his power from time to time.
Jianjun Zhang wrote:

Dear Wenjer and All,

Best Regards,
Jianjun

Shang
China
English to Chinese
欢迎Wenjer回到组织的怀抱 Sep 30, 2007

大家想你了。

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An Apology: Reflection on My Faults

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs