Thread poster: Denyce Seow
chrisleo
chrisleo
Local time: 09:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
reply Oct 21, 2007

能利用业余时间做一点自己喜欢的事情真的很不错。

这段时间大家在言谈之中都涉及到了一些政治话题,不少同仁也表现出了自己的政治敏感,比如提到一些字眼时,一些同仁表示了反对意见。“君子和而不同”。很多同仁的倾向虽然没有直接标榜,但也是可以看得出来的。大家可以在不伤和气的前提下找到相互尊重的方式。我想这也是民主的本质所在。

... See more
能利用业余时间做一点自己喜欢的事情真的很不错。

这段时间大家在言谈之中都涉及到了一些政治话题,不少同仁也表现出了自己的政治敏感,比如提到一些字眼时,一些同仁表示了反对意见。“君子和而不同”。很多同仁的倾向虽然没有直接标榜,但也是可以看得出来的。大家可以在不伤和气的前提下找到相互尊重的方式。我想这也是民主的本质所在。

我个人追求意识形态的多样性,尽量即不排斥外来文化,也不贬低本土文化。

我是觉得如果能获得出版机会,个人收入是一方面,主要可以为自己留下一部作品。老同志们又不是斯大林,又不会迫害你。呵呵。

chance wrote:

倒不是为了赚钱,只是自己感兴趣,而且需要花自己许多业余时间。如果为了赚钱,肯定是翻现在客户拿来的稿件最好,不操心还有收入。

我也考虑过针对中国的情况删掉一些内容,当然最好事先和这里的版权出版社及作者打个招呼。

Chris Leo wrote:

谈谈我的个人看法。如果这本书是你自己翻译后需要寻找市场,那就要考虑受众的兴趣了。在不伤害观众感情的前提下,适当的抨击和揭露也是卖点。如果你这是受雇翻译这本书,那你的角色就是一个忠实译者,没有必要考虑自己或者他人的政治倾向。另外,我们不是在翻译国外书籍时经常把一些敏感的部分删掉吗,不知道法国可不可行(玩笑话)。一切围绕市场!

Collapse

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
Misconception Oct 21, 2007

I would just like to point out that the Voice of America is a braodcast literally aimed at an audience in foreign countries. It has the principal mission of speading the "gospel" of democracy around the globe, while the BBC doesn't necessarily have the same mission. In other words, the VOA is pretty much a propaganda machine, or a beacon of light if you want to put it more delicately

There is a difference in what
... See more
I would just like to point out that the Voice of America is a braodcast literally aimed at an audience in foreign countries. It has the principal mission of speading the "gospel" of democracy around the globe, while the BBC doesn't necessarily have the same mission. In other words, the VOA is pretty much a propaganda machine, or a beacon of light if you want to put it more delicately

There is a difference in what's talked about ad nauseam in a broadcast like the VOA versus the issues discussed in the mainstream media domestically. IMO there are a lot more open and intelligent conversations in the media than most of the outside world thinks. As a matter of fact, Sunday morning television programs are solid back-to-back political discussions dedicated to domestic and world affairs; all kinds of viewpoints, conservative and liberal, are exchanged and debated on the air. The participants are mostly politicians, journalists, and sometimes experts from academia or guests from foreign countries. So the alleged brainwashing is pretty far-fetched IMO. BTW, you've all heard about Iran's President recently speaking at Columbia University to give his take on things, haven't you?

http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/hourlyupdate/202820.php

Here's an example of a serious piece of journalism reflecting on how America bought into the Iraq war. It is done by the renowned journalist Bill Moyers, and is put out on PBS, i.e., the Public Broadcasting System.

http://www.pbs.org/moyers/journal/btw/watch.html

Of course, we're all ears on what chance has to say. I doubt any of us would resent any different viewpoints that we haven't been exposed to yet.

[Edited at 2007-10-21 19:38]
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Steven, You are wonderful! Oct 21, 2007

其实我最担心的就是您的反应

如果我出这本书,就要搞个网站或博客之类的,让有不同意见的人士,尤其是美国华人能发表他们的看法。这样会比较公平,也让我们有机会更接近事实和辨证思考。

wherestip wrote:

Of course, we're all ears on what chance has to say. I doubt any of us would resent any different viewpoints that we haven't been exposed to yet.

chrisleo
chrisleo
Chinese to English
+ ...
补充一下 Oct 21, 2007

我提出VOA和BBC的一些问题,并不是为了证明美国或英国的媒体制度不好。

我想说的是在这样比较完善的体系下,由于文化的、地域的障碍,使得媒体工作者在报道生活在地球其他区域的人们的一些误解以及随之而来的夸大的甚至扭曲的报道。

因为任何媒体报道都是由人来完成的,每个人的认识都有其局限性,甚至是潜意识中的个人倾向。尤其是这种跨地域跨文化的报道,媒体工作者很难切身的全面的了解事实的真相。很容易把小偷报道成杀人犯。

[Edited at 2007-10-21 17:11]

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
Freedom of Speech Oct 21, 2007

Chris,

I understand. I just wanted to make sure that people don't confuse certain foreign and domestic policies of an administration with the issues of democracy and free speech.

These words by Susan Sontag were published in the Sept. 24th 2001 issue of the New Yorker, rig
... See more
Chris,

I understand. I just wanted to make sure that people don't confuse certain foreign and domestic policies of an administration with the issues of democracy and free speech.

These words by Susan Sontag were published in the Sept. 24th 2001 issue of the New Yorker, right after the 9/11 attack.

http://www.american-pictures.com/english/jacob/Sontag.htm

Of course what she said at the time did not represent the majority view, and even today some people might find some sentences distatesful; but at least her voice was heard.
Collapse

chrisleo
chrisleo
Chinese to English
+ ...
不敢说话了 Oct 21, 2007

听changce大姐这么一说,我有点不敢说话了。看一会BBC睡觉了:)

chance wrote:

其实我最担心的就是您的反应

如果我出这本书,就要搞个网站或博客之类的,让有不同意见的人士,尤其是美国华人能发表他们的看法。这样会比较公平,也让我们有机会更接近事实和辨证思考。

wherestip wrote:

chrisleo
chrisleo
Chinese to English
+ ...
fredom of speech Oct 21, 2007

看来以wherestip为代表的广大美国的同志们还是很开明的,Chance大姐可以放心译了。

今天和大家聊得很愉快。大家一起努力营造一个良好的社区氛围吧!

wherestip wrote:

Chris,

These words by Susan Sontag were published in the Sept. 24th 2001 issue of the New Yorker, right after the 9/11 attack.

Of course what she said at the time did not represent the majority view, and even today some people might find some sentences distatesful; but at least her voice was heard.

[Edited at 2007-10-21 17:34]

isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 21:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
两位思想家 Oct 21, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

这两位都是思想家。法国人当然非常推崇 Tocqueville,而且可以从他做的观察和思想中拿出东西来印证他预见的美国式民主会带来的种种问题。美国人呢?他们大多既不读也不读 Chomsky 的东西。我想,点到为止就好。再说下去就变成政治话题了。所以我说相思,你还是甭翻译的好。

美国大众是不会读这两个人的东西,不过他们的著作在大学里还是有一定读者基础的。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
"Communism is fascism with a human face." Oct 22, 2007

wherestip wrote:

Susan Rosenblatt 是一个脑袋清楚的知识分子,去年十二月二十八日去世,享年七十一。幸好她是在美国的社会出生长大,如果是在某些权力极端集中的国家社会里,她的思想--最主要是言语风格--恐怕很容易惹来杀身之祸。

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Sontag

Sontag drew fire for writing that "Mozart, Pascal, Boolean algebra, Shakespeare, parliamentary government, baroque churches, Newton, the emancipation of women, Kant, Balanchine ballets, et al. don't redeem what this particular civilization has wrought upon the world. The white race is the cancer of human history." (Partisan Review, Winter 1967, p. 57.) Sontag later offered an ironic apology for the remark, saying it was insensitive to cancer victims.

她的一生被某些人认为“骇世惊俗”,不过诚实人诚实地对社会撕破脸,当然会令人难以承受。

Sontag was quoted by Editor-in-Chief Brendan Lemon of Out magazine as saying "I grew up in a time when the modus operandi was the 'open secret'. I'm used to that, and quite OK with it. Intellectually, I know why I haven't spoken more about my sexuality, but I do wonder if I haven't repressed something there to my detriment. … Maybe I could have given comfort to some people if I had dealt with the subject of my private sexuality more, but it's never been my prime mission to give comfort, unless somebody's in drastic need. I'd rather give pleasure, or shake things up."

daisy0079
daisy0079
English to Chinese
豺狼当道,焉问狐狸 Oct 22, 2007

Chris Leo wrote:

我提出VOA和BBC的一些问题,并不是为了证明美国或英国的媒体制度不好。

我想说的是在这样比较完善的体系下,由于文化的、地域的障碍,使得媒体工作者在报道生活在地球其他区域的人们的一些误解以及随之而来的夸大的甚至扭曲的报道。

因为任何媒体报道都是由人来完成的,每个人的认识都有其局限性,甚至是潜意识中的个人倾向。尤其是这种跨地域跨文化的报道,媒体工作者很难切身的全面的了解事实的真相。很容易把小偷报道成杀人犯。

[Edited at 2007-10-21 17:11]

我也经常听这两个“敌台”的新闻,倒没有感觉到这么严重,或许是因为我从来就没认为“凡是VOA播的就是正确的……”。媒体当然有媒体的立场,不过只要它们报道的是事实(指硬性的事实,如统计数字之类),听众自可做出判断。

国内媒体的问题不只是偏见而已,我天天看报纸,大多数新闻离我的生活很远,真假不得而知;但是偶尔也会看到我能够亲身核实的消息,很遗憾,全都有相当部分是不真实的。和故意撒谎相比,“偏见”“倾向性”真可说不算什么了。世上本来就没有“无偏见的人”,过分强调媒体从业人员的偏见,岂不也有点“把小偷报道成杀人犯”吗?

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
要有獨立思考的訓練 Oct 22, 2007

在這方面,要看看教育制度,師資訓練,課程,教學方法等等。

chrisleo
chrisleo
Chinese to English
+ ...
撒谎与偏见 Oct 22, 2007

我发这几个帖子在强调国外自由媒体在报道发展中国家时有过分强调阴暗面的倾向。好多人认识到了小偷的偷东西,却没有留意警察打小偷。

在我看来,无论国内还是国外媒体,如果想要歪曲事实,只要可以强调一部分而忽略另一部分就足够了,这也是比较高明的手段。比如,有的媒体倾向于只报忧不报或少报细,有的媒体倾向于只报喜而不报或少报忧。这已经是媒
... See more
我发这几个帖子在强调国外自由媒体在报道发展中国家时有过分强调阴暗面的倾向。好多人认识到了小偷的偷东西,却没有留意警察打小偷。

在我看来,无论国内还是国外媒体,如果想要歪曲事实,只要可以强调一部分而忽略另一部分就足够了,这也是比较高明的手段。比如,有的媒体倾向于只报忧不报或少报细,有的媒体倾向于只报喜而不报或少报忧。这已经是媒体给大众开了一个不小的玩笑了。

daisy0079 wrote:
但是偶尔也会看到我能够亲身核实的消息,很遗憾,全都有相当部分是不真实的。和故意撒谎相比,“偏见”“倾向性”真可说不算什么了。

我这里想请教一下,你所看到报道都有哪些“故意撒谎”的案例,因为我一直没有留意你说的这种情况。你在贴中指出“亲身核实了的消息”,不知道你经常看些什么报纸?既然有相当部分是不真实的,请举个列子。

我认为部分媒体多报喜少报忧的现象是真的,假新闻很罕见。一己之见。

另外大师在标题中提到豺狼当道,在译者论坛里用这类煽情的过激的词汇,我认为不大合适。

小偷也有小偷的人权
我也许不同意你的意见,但是我还是誓死捍卫你发表意见的权利。

daisy0079 wrote:
国内媒体的问题不只是偏见而已,我天天看报纸,大多数新闻离我的生活很远,真假不得而知;但是偶尔也会看到我能够亲身核实的消息,很遗憾,全都有相当部分是不真实的。和故意撒谎相比,“偏见”“倾向性”真可说不算什么了。

[Edited at 2007-10-23 06:12]
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Tingting, Oct 22, 2007

我刚给你回了邮件。

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
基本同意daisy0079 Oct 22, 2007

同一类事只是有选择地报一面的新闻,某种意义上看就是在造假。

如果AB两方有冲突,如果只报A方挨打的消息,却完全不报A也打人和B挨打的消息,这种新闻单就个体事实来说是真的,但从整体看,就成了假新闻。

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
media Oct 22, 2007

lbone wrote:

同一类事只是有选择地报一面的新闻,某种意义上看就是在造假。

如果AB两方有冲突,如果只报A方挨打的消息,却完全不报A也打人和B挨打的消息,这种新闻单就个体事实来说是真的,但从整体看,就成了假新闻。

Biased report of world events is not uncommon even in the west. Media groups are often owned by powerful business people. Some don't interfere with the reporting, some do meddle in the daily reporting of events. As a result, a lot of media groups do have a bias either towards the left or the right. They might only focus on one side of the story, and be regarded as very biased to some viewers. But I wouldn't call their report fabricated. In order to know what is going on, I usually try several news sources. In the US, CNN is regarded as very liberal, and Fox News is very conservative. They both have a bias. I know in France, Liberation is to the left, le figaro is to the right, and lemond is more in the middle? I am sure Chance can tell us more about this.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

低价翻译

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »