四、丰润美 (full-grownness value)
五、意境美(artistic conception value)
六、口吻美(tone value)
七、形象美 (image value)
八、整饬美(parallelism value)
九、朦胧美(mistiness value)
十、创造美(creativity value)

Yueyin,

Putting aside whether these 10 virtues indeed indicate good writing in either language, I think his translation of them from Chinese into English certainly leaves a lot to be desired.

[Edited at 2007-11-21 03:50]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
翻译艺术 Nov 21, 2007

Steve:

你要是让我把这“十美”翻成英文那就更不灵了。我现在每天做的其实算不上什么翻译,只不过是应付差事,尽管是在很认真地应付,因为不认真应付就没人管饭 。用毛荣贵先生的话来说就是“功利的”态度,还远远达不到美学的境界。再说,翻译科技文章确实要比翻译文艺作品容易得多,“信、达”是最主要的,“雅”是次要的。不过,看了毛先生的讲话也会促使我去思考一些问题,所以我以后还是会抽时间仔细看一下,以后回国时也要买一些翻译理论书籍来学习学习。

无论如何,翻译确实是一门大学问。每千字 50 RMB 的价格确实是对这门艺术的亵渎,对翻译者人格的侮辱。我见过的某些译文虽然比“沒有更多的紙張工作”(No more paperwork)要强得多,但也可看出只不过是“机器翻译+草草编辑”的结果。大概这也是“上有政策、下有对策”的结果吧!

wherestip
wherestip  Identity Verified
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
My opinion Nov 21, 2007

Yueyin Sun wrote:

Steve:

你要是让我把这“十美”翻成英文那就更不灵了。我现在每天做的其实算不上什么翻译,只不过是应付差事,尽管是在很认真地应付,因为不认真应付就没人管饭 。用毛荣贵先生的话来说就是“功利的”态度,还远远达不到美学的境界。再说,翻译科技文章确实要比翻译文艺作品容易得多,“信、达”是最主要的,“雅”是次要的。不过,看了毛先生的讲话也会促使我去思考一些问题,所以我以后还是会抽时间仔细看一下,以后回国时也要买一些翻译理论书籍来学习学习。

Yueyin,

I hear you. Indeed one needs to bring home the bacon.

I think you're also being too modest. If anyone should attempt to translate literature, it should be people like you and chance who have a good grasp on both languages, have good writing skills, plus many years of experience in translation. I'm not gonna mention other names because it's just my opinion after all.

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Literature vs. Novels Nov 21, 2007

Steve,

Thank you for your kind words, but what I said truly reflected what I thought.

Speaking of literature translation, it will need special knowledge in particular areas. It could be very difficult for a layman to do, but it would be easy for someone who is trained in a particular subject area. For example, translating literature in electronics will be very difficult for me, but it will be easy for you. Nevertheless, the translation is usually straightforward and
... See more
Steve,

Thank you for your kind words, but what I said truly reflected what I thought.

Speaking of literature translation, it will need special knowledge in particular areas. It could be very difficult for a layman to do, but it would be easy for someone who is trained in a particular subject area. For example, translating literature in electronics will be very difficult for me, but it will be easy for you. Nevertheless, the translation is usually straightforward and less time-consuming.

However, when translating a novel like “Born to Win”, it will need much more thinking and better writing skills. To make things worse, translators who translate novels would face fiercer competition. It’s somewhat like photography. Anyone who has a camera may be able to take pictures, but only few people like David and Kevin are able to produce excellent pictures. It may take only a few minutes for a beginner to shoot a dozen of photos, but it may take hours for David and Kevin to take the same amount of photos and they may only keep one or two of them, throwing away all the rest. Unfortunately, in translation industry, “photographers” are usually paid based on the number of “photos” they have produced. I am not sure if my analogy is appropriate.
Collapse

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
English and Chinese Literature Nov 21, 2007

Yueyin,

I meant "literature" as in literary work. I got tired of repeating the same term over and over again and sounding like a broken record.

I really meant what I said too. It would of course be ideal to have writing skills like those of a professional writer. But how many literary authors have equal proficiency in another language?

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 12:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
Well, Esteban, Nov 21, 2007

wherestip wrote:

It would of course be ideal to have writing skills like those of a professional writer. But how many literary authors have equal proficiency in another language?

There are quite a few: Ernest Hemingway, e.e. cummings, Milan Kundera, ... and 高行健, who won the Nobel Literature Price probably because he helped to translate his own works.

You wouldn't believe that e.e. cummings acted as a translator, too. His translations from French into English are just fantastic. I will post some examples of his later. I can just say, Wow!

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Steve, Nov 21, 2007

I thought you were talking about scientific literature. I will never try to translate any literary works! I believe translation of literary works is not easy even for someone like 毛荣贵先生.
wherestip wrote:

Yueyin,

I meant "literature" as in literary work. I got tired of repeating the same term over and over again and sounding like a broken record.

I really meant what I said too. It would of course be ideal to have writing skills like those of a professional writer. But how many literary authors have equal proficiency in another language?

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Where on earth is Chance? Nov 26, 2007

好几天没见Chance露面了。不知她到底是去参加大罢工了还是随法国总统去中国吃法式大餐了?

http://www.daylife.com/photo/02gWciZbClaVA/dinner
wherestip wrote:

BTW, you guys have a very good discussion going on here ... very interesting. Chance will have a lot to think about when she gets back.

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
chance's whereabouts Nov 26, 2007

Yueyin Sun wrote:

http://www.daylife.com/photo/02gWciZbClaVA/dinner
wherestip wrote:

BTW, you guys have a very good discussion going on here ... very interesting. Chance will have a lot to think about when she gets back.

Yueyin,

chance had mentioned she'd be gone for 2 weeks ...

http://www.proz.com/post/719666#719666

BTW, I find it difficult to locate old posts written in Chinese. The search function for Chinese seems pretty much non-existent in this forum. Does anyone have some forum-specific search tips for Chinese he/she would kindly like to share?

Plugging the word "proz" together with targeted Chinese phrases/characters into the Google search engine sometimes works for me, but other times doesn't.

[Edited at 2007-11-27 00:59]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
I was just kidding Nov 26, 2007

Steve,

Thank you for the reminder! I was just kidding. I knew she was on a business trip. I just feel a better relationship between France and China would create more business opportunities for Chinese < > French translators like chance. That means “chance” will get more chances. Probably, she will tell us what she thinks when she comes back.

BTW, it is quite possible that she is in the delegation led by the French president. Her business trip is so mysterious!

wherestip wrote:

Yueyin,

chance mentioned she'd be gone for 2 weeks ...

[Edited at 2007-11-26 22:55]

Zhoudan
Zhoudan  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:44
English to Chinese
+ ...
我也这么想 Nov 27, 2007

法国和中国签了两张大合同,我在想chance是不是跟来了。:-D
原来不止我一个人这么想。

Yueyin Sun wrote:

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
说不定 Nov 27, 2007

萨科齐是跟着chance去的。;)

Zhoudan wrote:

[Edited at 2007-11-27 04:24]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
大手笔 Nov 27, 2007

200亿欧元!而美国总统只顾忙着一二一、伊阿伊。:D
Zhoudan wrote:

原来不止我一个人这么想。
[/quote]

wherestip
United States
Chinese to English
+ ...
Asleep At The Wheel Nov 27, 2007

Yueyin Sun wrote:

200亿欧元!而美国总统只顾忙着一二一、伊阿伊。:D
Zhoudan wrote:

原来不止我一个人这么想。

Like I said, our politicians are asleep at the wheel - there's an Austin band by that name ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asleep_at_the_Wheel

http://www.proz.com/post/727795#727795

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
老孙、Steve和周丹及诸位: Nov 30, 2007

高兴大家还想着我,虽然没跟总统去中国,但看到我们这里的帖子, 比带总统出差还高兴,正在考虑要把这几个帖子翻出来供总统参考参考

我这次出差有幸认识了一批中法有见识也很有趣的人士,他们探讨的话题正好也是我感兴趣的国际时事,包括维和以及其它国际事务中法两国责任等等。我高兴地发现中国有这样�
... See more
高兴大家还想着我,虽然没跟总统去中国,但看到我们这里的帖子, 比带总统出差还高兴,正在考虑要把这几个帖子翻出来供总统参考参考

我这次出差有幸认识了一批中法有见识也很有趣的人士,他们探讨的话题正好也是我感兴趣的国际时事,包括维和以及其它国际事务中法两国责任等等。我高兴地发现中国有这样一批有原则并且能够听进和理解其它国家见解的人。

令我感到惭愧的是几年没搞口译了,这次口译感觉到自己的差距,我原来说好不能干同传,由于各种原因还被逼当同传,大家一定可以想见我的狼狈不堪,最后两天在同事的鼓励下又试了试,感觉稍微好一点点。

现在想想除了要应付日常工作外,还得集中精力在某些专业上多下功夫学习练习,也许该少上论坛长篇大论

感谢法国的公交大罢工,让我第一次在巴黎不少步行,虽然累,但却是一种健康的累,还减肥,也吃了不少法国大菜。

代表团有人说是一眼就看出我的自信和家庭生活幸福美满,我想我的快乐也应该归功于我们论坛这个大家庭。

感谢大家并希望大家和我一样愉快

Yueyin Sun wrote:

说不定, 萨科齐是跟着chance去的。;)

Zhoudan wrote:

[Edited at 2007-11-27 04:24]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

趣文试译

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »