Characters and Spaces
Thread poster: jeremyg
jeremyg
jeremyg
Local time: 07:27
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dec 7, 2007

We are working with an online survey and are coming across one character that when inserted adds a space after it. The text is
您认为对于贵公司用户来说,下面哪些(如果有的话)属于最低配置?
Will having a space between the inserted Chinese text for the user group and the inserted text for the product alter the meaning or make this an awkward sentence?

xtang
xtang  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:27
English to Chinese
+ ...
I don't see any space in this sentence. Dec 8, 2007

But if you are referring to the Chinese parenthesis "(" and ")", I would say that it adds space to a sentence but does not alter the meaning or make the sentence awkward.

In Chinese, punctuation marks can either be "full shape" or "half shape". Here you have a full shape punctuation mark inserted, taking up the same space as a normal character. (which is a little bit like "monospace" typeface in English)

Using full shape punctuation marks, you don't have to type
... See more
But if you are referring to the Chinese parenthesis "(" and ")", I would say that it adds space to a sentence but does not alter the meaning or make the sentence awkward.

In Chinese, punctuation marks can either be "full shape" or "half shape". Here you have a full shape punctuation mark inserted, taking up the same space as a normal character. (which is a little bit like "monospace" typeface in English)

Using full shape punctuation marks, you don't have to type a space after the punctuation (for it looks like you have typed a space already~).

您认为对于贵公司用户来说,下面哪些(如果有的话)属于最低配置?
Collapse

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 21:27
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
the problem sentences Dec 8, 2007

These are the sentences with spaces Jeremy met. He wrote me with a picture (the following one is a part of that picture) when I was soundly asleep, then he asked the question here.

I have wrote back with my opinions. Others may also talk about it if you are i
... See more
These are the sentences with spaces Jeremy met. He wrote me with a picture (the following one is a part of that picture) when I was soundly asleep, then he asked the question here.

I have wrote back with my opinions. Others may also talk about it if you are interested.
Collapse

rchan
rchan
Local time: 14:27
Chinese to English
+ ...
global replace helpful? Dec 8, 2007

Does the unwanted space occur everytime you want to use that character?

What about pasting the same character (without the space) from another document, and then using the global replace function?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Characters and Spaces

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »