Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 06:07
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Clear or not + grammatical incorrectness Jul 5, 2009

The message in the introductory posting is also completely clear, but our colleague decided to detect some grammar faults with it, while making a couple herself/himself.

Btw, it is called animate and inanimate object.

when referred to:

animate objects- kojeg ( who)
inanimate objects- koji ( which, that)

If someone happens to confuse these two relative pronouns the meaning won't necessarily be affected and the message will sti
... See more
The message in the introductory posting is also completely clear, but our colleague decided to detect some grammar faults with it, while making a couple herself/himself.

Btw, it is called animate and inanimate object.

when referred to:

animate objects- kojeg ( who)
inanimate objects- koji ( which, that)

If someone happens to confuse these two relative pronouns the meaning won't necessarily be affected and the message will still be more than clear, like the message in the first posting. ( in some instances it will sound odd, but that's not the case here)

Non-native speakers also confuse them a lot in English, but so do the native speakers.
However, it does not always affect the meaning.

Another important point that I'd like to make is that when analyzing grammar one must take context, style and tone into account. Some people view these rules as bricks embedded in the wall without any flexibility. For example, "biser" as a personification or when emotionally colored can turn into animate ( kojeg, who).

E.g. Moj auto kojeg puno volim ( personification and emotion) - mostly in old forms, literature and especially poetry; or simply when required by the context, tone or style.

Edit: I mislim da je vrijeme da prijeđemo na hrvatski, ovo je neengleski forum.

[Edited at 2009-07-05 09:23 GMT]
Collapse

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:07
English to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hvala bogu... Jul 6, 2009

... da se netko sjetio skrenuti pozornost na jednu sitnicu - ovo je Hrvatski forum.

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 06:07
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Pridjevi na -ski Jul 7, 2009

Kemal Mustajbegovic wrote:

... da se netko sjetio skrenuti pozornost na jednu sitnicu - ovo je Hrvatski forum.

Čudi me da dosad nitko nije poletio da vas ispravi i kaže da se pridjevi na -ski pišu malim slovom.

Međutim, možda su već izračunali da ovdje može i veliko obzirom da je riječ o naslovu.

Onda bog sa B velikim, itd. Međutim, može i malim, jer ovdje nije riječ o izravnom veličanju boga.

Čudan je taj kontekst, zar ne?

[Edited at 2009-07-07 00:28 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Još jedan biser...

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »