Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:35
French to Polish
+ ...
Jan 7, 2009

Hi

Considering a Mac...
Any experience with DVX in a virtual machine with Parallels?

Cheers
GG

Karin Adamczyk (X)
Karin Adamczyk (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:35
French to English
Been using DVX on my Mac since February 2008 Jan 8, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Hi

Considering a Mac...
Any experience with DVX in a virtual machine with Parallels?

Cheers
GG

Not a problem at all. It works great with Parallels and VMWare Fusion and we are several doing the same thing.

In my opinion, go for it! You won't be sorry.

Take care,
Karin

Andrea Kowalenko
Andrea Kowalenko  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
DVX on Parallels works just fine Jan 8, 2009

I have been using DVX on Parallels (Windows XP) for about two years now. Works without problems, and Windows in general seems to perform better on a virtual machine than in a native installation.

Just throw in some extra RAM when buying, as your virtual machine will take its part of RAM and will slow down your MAC OS.

I had 1 GB RAM initially on my iMac (with Tiger and Windows XP), but it just was too slow and I experienced several kernel panics. Upgrading to 2 GB help
... See more
I have been using DVX on Parallels (Windows XP) for about two years now. Works without problems, and Windows in general seems to perform better on a virtual machine than in a native installation.

Just throw in some extra RAM when buying, as your virtual machine will take its part of RAM and will slow down your MAC OS.

I had 1 GB RAM initially on my iMac (with Tiger and Windows XP), but it just was too slow and I experienced several kernel panics. Upgrading to 2 GB helped a lot. The best experience so far is the performance of OS X Leopard with Parallels and Windows XP on an iMac with 4 GB RAM. That works just great. Should you think about using Windows Vista instead of XP, I think 4 GB should be a must, although I didn't try it myself.

Enjoy!
Andrea
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Some remarks... and thanks for both :) Jan 8, 2009

kowalingua wrote:

Just throw in some extra RAM when buying,

It's exactly the idea I have

as your virtual machine will take its part of RAM and will slow down your MAC OS.

Yes, I know the principle, I work with virtual machines from several years ago
I'm asking for Parallels 'cause:
1) it's a promotion here and Parallels is bundled for free with some Mac models.
2) I never used it before.
3) I know the biggest problem in the virtualization is the dongle, e.g. it didn't work on Virtual PC on PPC Macs neither on earlier VMWare on PC (from 1 to 3, as I remember, I didn't tested it with the last version(s)).

I had 1 GB RAM initially on my iMac (with Tiger and Windows XP), but it just was too slow and I experienced several kernel panics. Upgrading to 2 GB helped a lot. The best experience so far is the performance of OS X Leopard with Parallels and Windows XP on an iMac with 4 GB RAM.

Yes, I want to buy immediately 4 GB... and a bigger HDD...

That works just great. Should you think about using Windows Vista instead of XP, I think 4 GB should be a must, although I didn't try it myself.

I have already Vista on my primary notebook.
Nevermore.

Thanks for both

Cheers
GG

Andrea Kowalenko
Andrea Kowalenko  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Dongle works perfectly well Jan 8, 2009

The USB dongle works perfectly well with Parallels, I have not experienced any problems so far.

Parallels itself works like a charme, I chose Parallels after fiddling around with VMware and Bootcamp. They all work well, but I just liked Parallels a lot more. I haven't updated to the latest version yet, but the last updates always brought only improvements and no trouble.

Kind regards,

Andrea

yanadeni (X)
yanadeni (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 04:35
French to Russian
+ ...
Yes May 12, 2009

It even works with project files and TMs on Mac part, so I keep my Parallels part clean from files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DVX on Parallels Desktop...

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »