heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 06:52
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 4, 2007

DVX saves TMs without internal tags, the argument being that the number of matches is increased. Makes sense to some extent.

But...
What happens is that if the removed tag is preceded or followed by a punctuation mark, parenthesis or (R) symbol, an extra space is added in the text. (Since I am working to some extent simultaneously in DVX and Trados, this problem might only show up in the TM exported as Trados .txt file.)

If this segment now results in a 100% match
... See more
DVX saves TMs without internal tags, the argument being that the number of matches is increased. Makes sense to some extent.

But...
What happens is that if the removed tag is preceded or followed by a punctuation mark, parenthesis or (R) symbol, an extra space is added in the text. (Since I am working to some extent simultaneously in DVX and Trados, this problem might only show up in the TM exported as Trados .txt file.)

If this segment now results in a 100% match, the extra space is of course introduced into the new translation. The consequence: Even 100% matches need to be closely scanned to make sure there is no superfluous space.

Is there an option to save the TM with all internal tags in place? Or a way to prevent this behavior?
Collapse

Judy Schoen
Judy Schoen  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:52
English to German
DVX saves Tags as placeholders Oct 4, 2007

DVX saves the tags, but as placeholders without any content.
kind regards
Judy Ann

heikeb
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:( Oct 4, 2007

I tried some other export options, and they all create TMs that are severely "handicapped" for being used in Trados and they all contain the extra spaces.

Am I missing something here or is this a bug?

How do you handle this or do you simply not have any clients that expect an exported Trados tm or uncleaned files from you?

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:52
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Exporting for Trados Oct 5, 2007

Heike Behl, Ph.D. wrote:
How do you handle this or do you simply not have any clients that expect an exported Trados tm or uncleaned files from you?

If you need a Trados TM, the best option is to use Workbench and translate the file(s). Make sure to check the "Segment unknown sentences" option. For the actual translation, import the segmented file into DVX. Then, export the project and clean the resulting bi-lingual file into a Trados TM using Workbench.

heikeb
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
tag problem Oct 5, 2007

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

If you need a Trados TM, the best option is to use Workbench and translate the file(s). Make sure to check the "Segment unknown sentences" option. For the actual translation, import the segmented file into DVX. Then, export the project and clean the resulting bi-lingual file into a Trados TM using Workbench.

That was the original plan, but Trados couldn't open the TTX file due to a missing tag, presumably some external tag since all internal tags/placeholders were OK.

And since I couldn't isolate the problem I had to export and apply the SVX tm on the original TTX file. No fun... and the additional spaces definitely didn't help.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
One method for identifying and fixing TTX tag problems Oct 5, 2007

>> That was the original plan, but Trados couldn't
>> open the TTX file due to a missing tag

In such cases, you can try changing the TTX extension to XML and opening the document with Internet Explorer. Scroll to the bottom of the window, and you'll find the troublesome part of the file indicated by an error message. Then open the file with a text editor, correct the tag problem, close the file, change the extension back to TTX and Trados should be able to deal with it again.

heikeb
Ireland
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 5, 2007

Thanks, Kevin. That's a great tip!

I couldn't see anything wrong with the tags in xml, though, but I ran the passage in question through DVX again and then the export/opening in Trados worked. A little bit bizarre, but maybe there was a little hickup in the export.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TM: internal tags removed, extra spaces

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »