Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 01:10
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Apr 1, 2008

Hi folks,

I use "big mama" translation memory, i.e. one that includes some 90% of my work from the past 6 years. The size is 190 MB.

For a week or two I noticed a strange behaviour in my DVX, and now I found the culprit. This TM files is corruped. When I set up a new project, I do not get any error message. I only noticed that in projects in that include several files, full matches simply don't appear. Segments are autopropagated into the current file, but the same segm
... See more
Hi folks,

I use "big mama" translation memory, i.e. one that includes some 90% of my work from the past 6 years. The size is 190 MB.

For a week or two I noticed a strange behaviour in my DVX, and now I found the culprit. This TM files is corruped. When I set up a new project, I do not get any error message. I only noticed that in projects in that include several files, full matches simply don't appear. Segments are autopropagated into the current file, but the same segments are not found in the database once I open another file.

I had to notice that in Project - Properties - Databases, simply there's no TM specified (even though it looks like it's specified when setting up the project). When I manually select and add my big mama TM, an error message says that "Deja Vu X was unable to add the file you specified".

I also tried to open the TM itself, but the message I get here is "Unable to open database. The file may be corrupted".

Does any of you have a solution to this rather annoying problem?

Thanks,
Csaba

PS
This is not an April's fool's joke, this is bloody serious, with the usual deadlines looming behind the corner.
Collapse

Judy Schoen
Judy Schoen  Identity Verified
English to German
Try to repair it Apr 1, 2008

make a copy of the corrupted file and try to repair it in DVX
Tools-repair.
if that does not help, try to repair it in Access.
if that does not help, you need to go back to your latest not corrupted backup.

if you do not have a backup, if the DB can still be opened in Access, it might be possible to rescue some of the Data.

Databases need maintenance.
you should at least compress you DBs once a while. and as soon as you have the feeling autoasse
... See more
make a copy of the corrupted file and try to repair it in DVX
Tools-repair.
if that does not help, try to repair it in Access.
if that does not help, you need to go back to your latest not corrupted backup.

if you do not have a backup, if the DB can still be opened in Access, it might be possible to rescue some of the Data.

Databases need maintenance.
you should at least compress you DBs once a while. and as soon as you have the feeling autoassemble does not work like it should a repair is needed.

kind regards
and good luck
Judy Ann
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no success so far Apr 1, 2008

Dear Judy,

Thank you for your ideas.
I cannot open the TM in DVX, an error messages says it's corrupted. Now I tried to open in Access (2002). An error message says the file is either corrupted or not a valid Access file, but also offered the option of repairing anyway.
After clicking Yes, I saw the entrails of my big mama TM database
272 projects, 1700 files, 320k+ sentences, 180k "translations"
... See more
Dear Judy,

Thank you for your ideas.
I cannot open the TM in DVX, an error messages says it's corrupted. Now I tried to open in Access (2002). An error message says the file is either corrupted or not a valid Access file, but also offered the option of repairing anyway.
After clicking Yes, I saw the entrails of my big mama TM database
272 projects, 1700 files, 320k+ sentences, 180k "translations" (only sequence numbers though)

But at this stage my knowledge stops. What shall I do with this? How do I know if it's corrupted? Does the fact Access opened it means it's now not currupted? How do I save it ?
Both "Save as" and "Export" only work for the specific table that's currently selected, not the entire database.

I do have a backup from some months ago. For immediate purposes I created a new TM from scratch, opened all previous projects for the same client and subject, and sent all segment pairs from all of these projects in this new TM. This will work for my current job. When I'm finished, I will try to fix the big database.

Csaba
Collapse

Judy Schoen
Judy Schoen  Identity Verified
English to German
you do not need to open the TM to repair it in DVX Apr 1, 2008

open DVX without opening the TM, then go Tools- repair and select your TM.

in Access there is also an option to repair the Database. this would be the next option.

you should back up you Data on a daily basis and keep old backups for exactly this reason, if you DBs are coruppted you need to go back,

kind regards
Judy ann

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Partial export/import Apr 1, 2008

Csaba Ban wrote:

But at this stage my knowledge stops. What shall I do with this? How do I know if it's corrupted? Does the fact Access opened it means it's now not currupted? How do I save it ? [/quote]

Too few infos...

Both "Save as" and "Export" only work for the specific table that's currently selected, not the entire database.

You can try to export the tables separately to a text format, then import all the files in a new, fresh DVMDB.
Just an idea.

[...]

Cheers
GG

David BUICK
David BUICK  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
French to English
+ ...
Have you tried the "repair" option Apr 1, 2008

...as set out by Judy above?

This is the first thing to do, and by far the quickest if it works.

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
repair in DVX doesn't work Apr 2, 2008

I tried the Repair function, but I get an error message saying that the file is corrupted.

I've no idea how this happened - I'm doing the same process for each project for several years now.

I'll try the partial export.

In the worst case, I'm afraid I'll have to re-open all existing project files and send them individually to a new TM. I've done this for 10-15 projects already, I mean those that belong to the same client and same subject as the one I'm doin
... See more
I tried the Repair function, but I get an error message saying that the file is corrupted.

I've no idea how this happened - I'm doing the same process for each project for several years now.

I'll try the partial export.

In the worst case, I'm afraid I'll have to re-open all existing project files and send them individually to a new TM. I've done this for 10-15 projects already, I mean those that belong to the same client and same subject as the one I'm doing right now.

Thank you for your ideas,

Csaba
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Some tables doesn't need to be exported/exported... Apr 2, 2008

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

You can try to export the tables separately to a text format, then import all the files in a new, fresh DVMDB.
Just an idea.

[/quote]

Of course, you don't need ti import/export some tables like Stamp or Langs.
Just take a look on the contents.

Cheers
GG

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Red alert - Corrupted "big mama" TM

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »