Font which displays formatting characters?
Thread poster: Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:55
German to English
+ ...
Aug 29, 2008

Ages ago I ran across a Windows font which displays visible characters for spaces and tabs, but unfortunately I lost track of it. I need such a font so I can avoid changes in formatting in the DVX editing environment.

Does anyone know where such a resource can be found?

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 23:55
English to Turkish
+ ...
fonts Aug 29, 2008

Do you ask about VeronikaSans_DV and VeronikaSerif_DV?

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/files/DVX/Fonts/

Or the following Calibri fonts?
... See more
Do you ask about VeronikaSans_DV and VeronikaSerif_DV?

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/files/DVX/Fonts/

Or the following Calibri fonts?
CALIBRI_MQ2
CALIBRI_MQ3

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/dejavu-l/files/Fonts/

[Edited at 2008-08-29 13:16]
Collapse

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 21:55
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Selcuk Aug 29, 2008

I can't see that the Calibri fonts do what I need, but the Veronika variants will work. No visible character for the tab with Veronika, however, so I still run the risk of screwing up sequences of tabs. But at least I can tell tabs from spaces - that's a start.

Ideally I'd like a font that has a visual representation of spaces, non-breaking spaces and soft returns / line breaks (^l for MS Word). Or I would like the option to add these to the view with any font in the DVX editor (in
... See more
I can't see that the Calibri fonts do what I need, but the Veronika variants will work. No visible character for the tab with Veronika, however, so I still run the risk of screwing up sequences of tabs. But at least I can tell tabs from spaces - that's a start.

Ideally I'd like a font that has a visual representation of spaces, non-breaking spaces and soft returns / line breaks (^l for MS Word). Or I would like the option to add these to the view with any font in the DVX editor (in some future version).
Collapse

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:55
English to German
Veronika does what is possible Aug 29, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:
No visible character for the tab with Veronika

Ideally I'd like a font that has a visual representation of spaces, non-breaking spaces and soft returns / line breaks.

DVX does not display tabs or line breaks even if the font contains a symbol for those, so this is a shortcoming of the DVX edit control rather than of the font used. It would be great if this could be added in a future version (Transit has been offering it for ten years now).

Spaces and non-breaking spaces are visible when using Veronika DV in DVX.

If protecting tabs is important, maybe you could either prevent them from being imported (e.g. hiding them in Word, formatting them red in Excel, or putting them in a nontranslatable tag in XML) or replace them temporarily with a string (e.g. {TAB}) that is visible and can be changed back later.

Endre

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Font which displays formatting characters?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »