Thread poster: Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:37
German to English
+ ...
Nov 28, 2008

There is a general review of DVX proofreading and editing options posted here.

It is intended for

• persons, agencies or other organizations without a DV license who might benefit from information on how to work together with DV users

• those who are wondering what useful things can be accomplished for a DV project without a license... See more
There is a general review of DVX proofreading and editing options posted here.

It is intended for

• persons, agencies or other organizations without a DV license who might benefit from information on how to work together with DV users

• those who are wondering what useful things can be accomplished for a DV project without a license

• DV users who are not aware of the potential for working with others using External Views and the free DVX Editor (i.e. the unlicensed version)

• DVX users who need reminding that DVX is a better environment for reviewing and editing Trados bilingual files (DOC/RTF and TTX)

With regard to the last point I would be interested to know if anyone has ever tried editing Wordfast files in DVX. I never installed my Wordfast license (and lost track of it), so I can't try this out myself unless someone feels inclined to send me a test file (finished bilingual file).
Collapse

Andrea Kowalenko
Andrea Kowalenko  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:37
Member (2006)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Spot on! Nov 28, 2008

Thank you, Kevin. This review is spot on, as always. Really useful!
Congratulations on your blog in general, it is already bookmarked.
Ah, no Wordfast over here, sorry ...

Have a great weekend!

Andrea

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:37
French to Polish
+ ...
Me... Nov 28, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:

With regard to the last point I would be interested to know if anyone has ever tried editing Wordfast files in DVX. I never installed my Wordfast license (and lost track of it), so I can't try this out myself unless someone feels inclined to send me a test file (finished bilingual file). [/quote]

Wordfast bilingual?

The principle is the same as in Trados but:

• sometimes the segmentation may differ (Wordfast is based strictly on regular expressions, Trados uses some secret exclusion lists),

• you can force to open segments Trados considers untranslatable (e.g. numerals).

I have a Wordfast licence, I have some idea how it works but I very rarely use it in the real life... as I have DVX...

If you have a Trados example, I can rework it in Wordfast for you and see the differences, if any.
If not, I can send you some Wordfast files I revised some weeks ago (very basic formatting, I don't think it could be very interesting for a thourough test).

PS.
I have a hard deadline this weekend

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-11-28 19:02 GMT]

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:37
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, GG! Nov 28, 2008

I think I'll take you up on that offer of help with the Wordfast test file, but I'm totally under water until mid-week, so I'll bug you after then.

[Edited at 2008-11-28 21:27 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Overview of editing possibilities with Déjà Vu X

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »