Thread poster: George ABRAHAM
George ABRAHAM
George ABRAHAM  Identity Verified
Romania
Local time: 23:49
French to English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2009

I would like to know if there is a keyboard shortcut to insert numbers/numerals from the source segment into the target one. For example if in the source segment there is "3.5 m at 45.6 km/h", how can I add those two numbers (and possibly convert them to the target language locale) by using shortcuts? In Trados these numbers are placeables and can be easily inserted by using Ctrl+Alt+Down/Next.
I am aware of the "Scan" feature, but it cannot insert a number in the current segment.

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:49
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Ctrl + A Apr 1, 2009

I'm not sure why your numerals aren't appearing automatically when you move down to the next segment.

Two solutions:

(1) either assemble (Ctrl + A) each segment as you go along - the numerals will be copied along with everything else -

(2) or change your settings to make sure that the numerals are included as you move down to the next segment:
>Tools > Options > General > Assemble; check "First scan for whole sentences," "Insert text for failed
... See more
I'm not sure why your numerals aren't appearing automatically when you move down to the next segment.

Two solutions:

(1) either assemble (Ctrl + A) each segment as you go along - the numerals will be copied along with everything else -

(2) or change your settings to make sure that the numerals are included as you move down to the next segment:
>Tools > Options > General > Assemble; check "First scan for whole sentences," "Insert text for failed portions" and "Allow portions containing punctuation"
Also: >Tools > Options > General > Conversions (to make sure the numerals are punctuated properly for your target language); check "Control leading/trailing symbols," "Allow decimal conversions," and "Allow case conversions."
>Tools > Options > Environment > On Ctrl+DownArrow; check "AutoAssemble"

(And, just in case, remember to use Ctrl + down arrow to move down to the next segment - this will autoassemble your next segment for you)
Collapse

George ABRAHAM
Romania
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not quite what I wanted Apr 1, 2009

Yolanda Broad wrote:

Two solutions:

>Tools > Options > General > Assemble; check "First scan for whole sentences," "Insert text for failed portions" and "Allow portions containing punctuation"
Also: >Tools > Options > General > Conversions (to make sure the numerals are punctuated properly for your target language); check "Control leading/trailing symbols," "Allow decimal conversions," and "Allow case conversions."
>Tools > Options > Environment > On Ctrl+DownArrow; check "AutoAssemble"

(And, just in case, remember to use Ctrl + down arrow to move down to the next segment - this will autoassemble your next segment for you)

Thanks for your reply. Your solution copies the whole text in the target segment. I need to insert only the numbers, with the appropriate locale conversion, if possible, in the target segment.

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:49
German to English
+ ...
Settings in the option menu Apr 1, 2009

You can tell DVX to do this at Tools>Options>General> "Insert source text for failed portions".
In my language pair I also always "Allow decimal conversions", which is almost 100% reliable in changing the German number format (5.000 and 45,6) to the English format (5,000 and 45.6).

It is worth experimenting with the settings (Tools>Options and the various tabs) to see what works best for your language pair and your way of working.

George ABRAHAM
Romania
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No alternative to Trados' placeables Apr 1, 2009

So I cannot just insert a number from the source in the target segment, as with Trados' Get current/next placeable.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Impossible... Apr 1, 2009

killian_ro wrote:

So I cannot just insert a number from the source in the target segment, as with Trados' Get current/next placeable.

No, it's impossible in this version.

BTW.
I use automated AutoAssembly (in manual mode, Ctrl+A), in this way, all my terms are inserted in the the target sentence (I have a f!#$g plenty of them).
I prefer change the placeables position manually to insert the terms one by one, like in Trados.
It's just another approach.
IMHO it's more intelligent but you must start to create termbases.

Cheers
GG

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
It works in a different manner... Apr 1, 2009

killian_ro wrote:

Yolanda Broad wrote:

Two solutions:

Thanks for your reply. Your solution copies the whole text in the target segment. [/quote]
You're wrong.
It does more than you see
Simply, you have no enough data in your DBs.

BTW, if you want to copy the source text to the target, use F5.

I need to insert only the numbers, with the appropriate locale conversion, if possible, in the target segment.

In the copied text, select your text/placeable and hit Ctrl+Shift+B/N in order to move it backwards/forwards.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-04-01 18:06 GMT]

George ABRAHAM
Romania
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please explain Apr 1, 2009

Please explain what you meant below:

Note:
All I achieved using your advice is copying the whole source text (I have no lexicons) and moving the text around with those two shortcuts. Primitive! I want to insert only the numbers from the source target, not the whole text. I guess it is impossible!

Grzegorz Gryc
French to Polish
+ ...
Think different... Apr 1, 2009

killian_ro wrote:

Please explain what you meant below:

Note:
All I achieved using your advice is copying the whole source text (I have no lexicons)

So, start to prepare 'em.
Without the f!#$%g terms, you can't see a fraction of the DVX power...

Define two, three terms (F11) for one sentence (you don't need to fill all the fields), then hit Ctrl+A in this sentence.
You'll see the result.
Imagine you have a huuuuge termbase, for some type of texts it works almost like a finite state machine.

and moving the text around with those two shortcuts. Primitive!

Beware
In the CAT world, this adjective should be used only for Multiterm programmers

I want to insert only the numbers from the source target, not the whole text. I guess it is impossible!

Simply it's not very necessary if you understand the idea
You think as a Trados user.

BTW.
Sometimes, I miss the placeables too, you're right, it may be annoying.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2009-04-01 18:38 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Inserting numerals/numbers in deja vu.

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »