Elena Ghetti
Elena Ghetti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:43
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jan 18, 2004

I have just sent this email to Atril support, but I am afraid their answer will not be on time. Do you have any idea what I should do to solve this problem:

I own a copy of DV X professional, I use it on an Intel computer with Windows XP, Office 2000.
I have created a project of software strings in text files, from English to Polish. When I export files using external view, I have no problem with Polish fonts, but when I export the final project back to txt
... See more
I have just sent this email to Atril support, but I am afraid their answer will not be on time. Do you have any idea what I should do to solve this problem:

I own a copy of DV X professional, I use it on an Intel computer with Windows XP, Office 2000.
I have created a project of software strings in text files, from English to Polish. When I export files using external view, I have no problem with Polish fonts, but when I export the final project back to txt I cannot see Polish fonts anymore:

This is what I get
Niedziela
Poniedzia³ek
Wtorek
Œroda
Czwartek
Pi¹tek
Sobota

This is what it should look like:

Niedziela
Poniedziałek
Wtorek
Środa
Czwartek
Piątek
Sobota

What should I do? Delivery of files was scheduled for Monday morning and I worked all Saturday and Sunday to complete the project and found out this in the end.....
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:43
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I suppose, this is OK so Jan 18, 2004

What you got first is correct to, but it can be seen only on a PC with polish operating system, set by default to Codepage 1250.
As you use Windows 2000, you are able to put polish characters in Texteditor, but they will be read properly only on PCs with Win2k/XP. If you open such file on 9x, the characters will show as in your example.
As DejaVU does save the file as "text only", Windows reads this as "text only", with your default code page, which in your case will be the same as i
... See more
What you got first is correct to, but it can be seen only on a PC with polish operating system, set by default to Codepage 1250.
As you use Windows 2000, you are able to put polish characters in Texteditor, but they will be read properly only on PCs with Win2k/XP. If you open such file on 9x, the characters will show as in your example.
As DejaVU does save the file as "text only", Windows reads this as "text only", with your default code page, which in your case will be the same as in my case - the Westeuropean one, CP 1252. Well, I must admit, that I do not owe DejaVU, but only Trados.
This is not a fault, but just the limitation of the whole system.
Try to open the file you got in Word.
To do so, go to the open file dialog and let Word show you all files, then choose the file in case. Word shoud ask you for the proper encodind. Choose "Windows Middle Europe". Then you should see all characters properly.

Kind regards
Jerzy

PS
IT IS OK SO.
Look at this page with Microsoft Explorer. You will see your example, shown incorrect. From the View menu of IE select Encoding and chosse Windows Middle Europe. Then you will see both examples shown correct.
This means, your text is coded with the CP 1250.

[Edited at 2004-01-18 16:11]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dejà Vu X, Polish fonts and text files

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »