Importing xml files into DVX fails (problem solved)
Thread poster: Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic
Vesna Zivcic  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:25
German to Croatian
+ ...
Jan 28, 2005

Hello DVX experts!

I have received a set of xml files to translate in Word (!). Working for this client, I have been using DVX (Version 7.0.238) and built a solid TM for this particular on-going project which I would like to use this time as well. The client is, BTW, interested only to receive the translation in the same format, the TM is for my use only.

I opened the existing project and tried to import
... See more
Hello DVX experts!

I have received a set of xml files to translate in Word (!). Working for this client, I have been using DVX (Version 7.0.238) and built a solid TM for this particular on-going project which I would like to use this time as well. The client is, BTW, interested only to receive the translation in the same format, the TM is for my use only.

I opened the existing project and tried to import a xml file via Project Explorer as any other file, but received a message that DVX couldn't import it. Then I checked the help documentation and realized that I should perhaps have crated a XML filter. Since there was no dtd-file, I did that by letting the Filter Wizzard read the very same XML files that I had received, and reviewed the listed tags and attibutes. So I got a dvftl file.

The problem is that I have found very little information on how to proceed from this point on. How do I apply the created xml filter?

In the opened old DVX project I chose Project/Properties/Filters and tied to set for the XML extension the newly created filter definition file instead of the default one.
Then I tied to import a xml file again, but the same message appeared, informing me that it was not possible.

I was not sure what options to choose with Prevent segmentation & Encoding which appeared in the same Default Filter Option dialogue.

I would appriciate your suggestions as to how import xml files successfully.

Best regards,

Vesna

[Edited at 2005-01-28 18:52]

[Edited at 2005-01-29 09:11]
Collapse

Vesna Zivcic
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jan 29, 2005

Starting afresh this morning (which is proverbially wiser that the evening), I managed to solve the problem this way:

I couldn't set the filter definition file via the main toolbar (Project/Properties/Filter), but after selecting and highlighting the files for import in the Project Explorer, there is Properties window which opens to the right of the DVX interface, right under File Navigator. There I can select the created filter definition file which allows me to import xml file wit
... See more
Starting afresh this morning (which is proverbially wiser that the evening), I managed to solve the problem this way:

I couldn't set the filter definition file via the main toolbar (Project/Properties/Filter), but after selecting and highlighting the files for import in the Project Explorer, there is Properties window which opens to the right of the DVX interface, right under File Navigator. There I can select the created filter definition file which allows me to import xml file without problems. The export of the first test file has worked perfectly. I'm getting to like DVX more and more.
Collapse

Livia D'Ettorre
Livia D'Ettorre  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
Could you please help me? May 17, 2006

Vesna Zivcic wrote:

I couldn't set the filter definition file via the main toolbar (Project/Properties/Filter), but after selecting and highlighting the files for import in the Project Explorer, there is Properties window which opens to the right of the DVX interface, right under File Navigator. There I can select the created filter definition file which allows me to import xml file without problems. The export of the first test file has worked perfectly. I'm getting to like DVX more and more.

Dear Vesna,

I have the same problem and I wonder whether you can help me. I have managed to select the filter, however I cannot export the file. I have to say that I had never used Deja Vu before, so I am a bit lost. Someone told me that I have to pretranslate, substitute source if necessary and select "wrong codes', but I still can't export the file...
I would appreciate if you could help me!

Thanks!

Regards,

Livia

Vesna Zivcic
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More info please May 17, 2006

Are there any wrong codes within the segments? They have to be corrected.

Do you get any information on why the export fails?

Livia D'Ettorre
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
No wrong codes May 17, 2006

Vesna Zivcic wrote:

Are there any wrong codes within the segments? They have to be corrected.

Do you get any information on why the export fails?

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.
When I select "wrong codes" I don't see anything, so I assume it's all ok. But what do I need to do next? I was told to export using the same filter, but I can't see my filter anywhere!

Livia

Vesna Zivcic
German to Croatian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Steps May 17, 2006

In Project Explorer highlight the file that you want to export . In the right-hand window Properties you can now see theee options: Filter, Prevent segmentation and Encoding. In Filter you can select your saved filter. You can ignore other two options (unless the customer wants Unicode encoding).

Livia D'Ettorre
Netherlands
English to Italian
+ ...
Thanks! May 17, 2006

Thanks! I am going to try that.

Livia

[Edited at 2006-05-17 11:44]

Janis Abens
Janis Abens  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:25
Swedish to English
+ ...
XML Filter creation? Mar 11, 2011

I did that by letting the Filter Wizzard read the very same XML files that I had received, and reviewed the listed tags and attibutes. So I got a dvftl file.

Hi, could you please elaborate on how you created the XML filter?
Thanks so much in advance,

/janis

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 09:25
English to Turkish
+ ...
Detailed information in the Help file Mar 12, 2011

Hi Janis,

It is explained in detail in the help file, see Creating and Maintaining SGML/XML Filter Files.

Selcuk

Marcus Malabad
Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
German to English
+ ...
Thanks May 17, 2012

Thanks, Vesna, your explanation above helped me solve my problem too!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing xml files into DVX fails (problem solved)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »