Gwendolyn Hayden
Gwendolyn Hayden
Belgium
Local time: 03:11
English to French
+ ...
Apr 2, 2005

He!
I read DV's help, which says how to collect QXP stories one by one and save them with the xtg extension to translate them.
But is there any way to extract all stories of a file at once on a PC (I know CopyFlow exists on Mac, but I only have a PC...)
Thanks!
Gwen

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Use the Story Collector that comes with Trados Apr 4, 2005

Judging by your other question, you do have Trados. Trados comes with a decent story collector for Quark.

Gwendolyn Hayden
Gwendolyn Hayden
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! good help! Apr 4, 2005

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Judging by your other question, you do have Trados. Trados comes with a decent story collector for Quark.

Thanks! I only found out afterwards I could do that and indeed it works.

But actually I have another problem (I'm testing things for my thesis...): when I export from QXP (v4.0 passport-Mac) with Copyflow, translate with DV and reimport into QXP, special characters (é,à,...) are not recognized (they are replaced by other characters: é by E for example). Do you have any idea why?

This doesn't happen when I convert the exported file to rtf with ITP filter pack and translate the rtf with workbench...

Thanks a lot!
Gwen

Klaus Herrmann
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Does this error occur with SC as well? Apr 4, 2005

What happens if you're using Story Collector for source export and translation import?

As to what causes the problem with Copyflow, I don't have any good guess but I'd probably open the .xtg file in an editor like Ultraedit in order to isolate the problem. Why are you using rtf files, anyway? The qsc files exported by the Story Collector extension can be loaded easily into DVX.

Gwendolyn Hayden
Gwendolyn Hayden
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
OK for Mac Quark files? Apr 4, 2005

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

What happens if you're using Story Collector for source export and translation import?

As to what causes the problem with Copyflow, I don't have any good guess but I'd probably open the .xtg file in an editor like Ultraedit in order to isolate the problem. Why are you using rtf files, anyway? The qsc files exported by the Story Collector extension can be loaded easily into DVX.

Thanks! actually I couldn't find anything wrong in the code... I was told to use copyflow then ITP to convert the files because they are files created on Mac (as most quark files are) and that I would have font incompatibilities if I opened them on a PC.
Anyway I haven't yet tried to do everything on PC (with StoryCollector), so I'll try and see

Klaus Herrmann
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Just skip the rtf conversion... Apr 5, 2005

gwen- wrote:
... and that I would have font incompatibilities if I opened them on a PC.

Yes, there are incompatibilities in terms of font weights, but I am not aware of a decent solution (other than applying a couple of macros to the xtg files). As far as character sets go, I do all translation work on the PC, even though most of the source files have been created on the Mac. No problem with the character set.

What I really don't understand why one would recommend to convert the files to rtf first. It's completely unnecessary and most likely the cause for your problems.

Gwendolyn Hayden
Gwendolyn Hayden
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
align xtg files: characters not recognized Apr 17, 2005

First of all, thank you for your previous answers.

I've tried to align xtg files created on Mac, and all accentuated characters in French were replaced by a symbol.

I then decided to import the TM I created in Trados after using WinAlign to align the files, and the accentuated characters were OK, but when I pretranslated the files, half of the Quark tags appeared in the target segments, next to the Deja Vu number codes (eg: {1}t-1>).

Also, non breaking spa
... See more
First of all, thank you for your previous answers.

I've tried to align xtg files created on Mac, and all accentuated characters in French were replaced by a symbol.

I then decided to import the TM I created in Trados after using WinAlign to align the files, and the accentuated characters were OK, but when I pretranslated the files, half of the Quark tags appeared in the target segments, next to the Deja Vu number codes (eg: {1}t-1>).

Also, non breaking spaces were replaced by a Deja Vu code and I had to replace them all in order to export my translation (because the number of codes was then higher in the target segments (Fre) than in Eng).

Did I do something wrong?

Thanks again!!
Gwen
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Quark files with Deja Vu

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »