Austra Muizniece
Austra Muizniece  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 12:05
English to Latvian
+ ...
Oct 7, 2005

Hi all,

Yesterday my computer experienced a complete crash. As it usually happens, I'm supposed to deliver a translation today, in DVX. Since my last backup was made before installation of DVX, I don't have any files left,only DVX project sent to me by the client. I can't install DVX on my spare computer before my PM sends me download site address and code and, due to time zone difference, she'll only answer in some 3hours, when I already have to deliver the job.

My que
... See more
Hi all,

Yesterday my computer experienced a complete crash. As it usually happens, I'm supposed to deliver a translation today, in DVX. Since my last backup was made before installation of DVX, I don't have any files left,only DVX project sent to me by the client. I can't install DVX on my spare computer before my PM sends me download site address and code and, due to time zone difference, she'll only answer in some 3hours, when I already have to deliver the job.

My question is this - is it somehow possible to extract the text from DVX project (maybe someone can help with that part), translate it in some MS Office application and send it to the client in a way where it is more or less easy to import that into DVX memory?

Right now I have no other options left- the original file is in DVX only, which I can't open unless I have the program. Can somebody please help?

Big thanks in advance.

Austra Muizniece
Collapse

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:05
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
2-column export Oct 7, 2005

Hi Austra,
If you need to extract the Text from the project, use the 2-column export. That's File->Export->External View. Make sure to check "Include Row ID". This will give you a table Source and Target columns. Once you've translated the table, it can be imported into the DVX project, and you're all set.

Klaus

Austra Muizniece
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Won't work... Oct 7, 2005

The problem is, DVX is on my crashed computer, this one doesn't have the program and I can't get it for another 3hours, but then it already has to be finished. I guess what I was really asking was if anyone can help with the extraction:(, so I can send rtf or doc file to my PM when she starts work. It is a new client and I'm not sure if I should ask for a deadline extension.

Klaus Herrmann wrote:

Hi Austra,
If you need to extract the Text from the project, use the 2-column export. That's File->Export->External View. Make sure to check "Include Row ID". This will give you a table Source and Target columns. Once you've translated the table, it can be imported into the DVX project, and you're all set.

Klaus

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:05
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
You've got Mail :) Oct 7, 2005

[quote]austra muizniece wrote:
I guess what I was really asking was if anyone can help with the extraction.
[quote] Slow thinking on my side

Austra Muizniece
Latvia
English to Latvian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much!!! Oct 7, 2005

What relief:)))!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Extracting translation material from DVX

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »