Thread poster: Kirill Semenov

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:27
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 7, 2006

I try to replace a sequence of chars through all my TM, but in target language. In DVX menus I was able to find only Find/Replace options for the source segments, but I need to change some words in my target language column of the TM.

Is it possible?

PS. By the way, does anyone know how to type the dash (hard, or `long' hyphen) instead of the usual (short) hyphen when working with DVX?

[Edited at 2006-01-07 18:26]

Direct link Reply with quote

Klas Törnquist
Local time: 08:27
English to Swedish
+ ...
Change target language to your source language Jan 9, 2006

Kirill Semenov wrote:

I try to replace a sequence of chars through all my TM, but in target language. In DVX menus I was able to find only Find/Replace options for the source segments, but I need to change some words in my target language column of the TM.

Is it possible?

Yes, it's possible. Open the database and change the source language (box up to the left) to your target language. If you want to see your source language while replacing, change the target language to your source language (box up to the right).

And, Bob's your uncle....

Klas

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:27
German to English
+ ...
How about turning the database around? Jan 9, 2006

Kirill Semenov wrote:
Is it possible?
PS. By the way, does anyone know how to type the dash (hard, or `long' hyphen) instead of the usual (short) hyphen when working with DVX?

[Edited at 2006-01-07 18:26]

Hi Kirill,

That's 2 questions.

Q1: I haven't tried it (it may be one of the drawbacks of the multilingual capability of the databases). But I think there is a workaround: open the MDB. At the top of the window you see two pull-down windows showing the source and target languages. My quick fix: switch them, so that your target language is given as the source language. Then you can do your S/R process.

Q2: Which long dash? The one I use (German & British format) is obtained by holding down ALT and pressing 0150 on the numerical keypad. For the longer one (US format), try ALT-0151. And to find what to type for other special symbols, call up the keyboard grid in DVX (CTRL-K), select the character you want and look what the window says at the bottom right hand corner.

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:27
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Victor :) Jan 9, 2006

I'll try to do it via MDB format - and thank you for the advice on dashes, I've checked it with Ctrl+K, and yes, they are Alt+.

Thank you very much for your help

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Replace in a TM Target

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs