Apostrophes and quotes
Thread poster: Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 16:28
French to English
+ ...
Mar 3, 2006

Is there any way to get Deja Vu not to differentiate between ordinary quotes and apostrophes, and what Word calls "smart" quotes and apostrophes (that is, curly ones). I have what would be 100% matches if it were'nt for the fact that one document doesn't use the same type of quotes and apostrophes.

Also I'd like to know whether there's a way of typing smart quotes into Deja Vu, as it's rather annoying that after exporting to word I have to do a Find ' - Replace ' and Find " - Replac
... See more
Is there any way to get Deja Vu not to differentiate between ordinary quotes and apostrophes, and what Word calls "smart" quotes and apostrophes (that is, curly ones). I have what would be 100% matches if it were'nt for the fact that one document doesn't use the same type of quotes and apostrophes.

Also I'd like to know whether there's a way of typing smart quotes into Deja Vu, as it's rather annoying that after exporting to word I have to do a Find ' - Replace ' and Find " - Replace ".
Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:28
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

AutoText? Mar 3, 2006

I haven't used this option myself, but it looks like it would serve your purpose. Except, of course, you'll need to have two options: one for opening a quote and one for closing it.

The other option that I also haven't yet attempted would be to create macros.

I'm puzzled, though: doesn't DV export smart quotes if they were there when imported?

My own approach would be to do a search-and-replace *before* importing the doc to DV.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Answers Mar 3, 2006

Yolanda Broad wrote:

I haven't used this option myself, but it looks like it would serve your purpose. Except, of course, you'll need to have two options: one for opening a quote and one for closing it.

That may work. I'll try it. Though I don't know whether it's possible to insert a smart quote in the autotext box.

I'm puzzled, though: doesn't DV export smart quotes if they were there when imported?

My own approach would be to do a search-and-replace *before* importing the doc to DV.

I guess with the quotes I could insert the original. Though this does assume that the quotes are the same as in the original which is not always the case. One of the things I don't like with DV is that it assumes everything you do is the same format as the original. But what do you do if the original is not consistent with the use of italics and quotes? Or recently I translated the Spanish "razón de ser" with "raison d'être", which obviously needed to be in italics in English, but I couldn't do this in Déjà Vu.

As for apostrophes, obviously these do not appear in the same places in my source text as in my target text.

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:28
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Four methods for inputting quotation marks Mar 4, 2006

I decided that, rather than giving advice by the seat of my pants, I'd actually look at the Pro manual (Help > Contents).

CTRL + K will bring up the Windows Character Map in DVX

But I also found two suggestions in my files:

1. create an Autocorrect entry.

2. Fancy quotes can be entered with ALT + number pad (on the desktop) or by using NumLock (on the laptop). The codes are:

ALT-0147 (English opening / German closing quotes)
... See more
I decided that, rather than giving advice by the seat of my pants, I'd actually look at the Pro manual (Help > Contents).

2. Fancy quotes can be entered with ALT + number pad (on the desktop) or by using NumLock (on the laptop). The codes are:

ALT-0132 (German opening quotes)
ALT-0148 (English closing quotes)

4. search and replace *before* translating (files should always be spell checked and cleaned up anyhow before importing).

Have fun!
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 4, 2006

Yolanda Broad wrote:

ALT-0132 (German opening quotes)
ALT-0148 (English closing quotes)

4. search and replace *before* translating (files should always be spell checked and cleaned up anyhow before importing).

Have fun!

Thanks. Was there a point 3 by the way? I won't be able to try this out until Monday, but if it comes from the manual, I'm sure it must be right.

I don't suppose there's any solution to the italics problem? I'll have a good look through the manual again.

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Italics Mar 4, 2006

Timothy Barton wrote:

I don't suppose there's any solution to the italics problem? I'll have a good look through the manual again.

OK, found the answer to that too:

Finally, it is possible to make good use of Word’s AutoFormat option. It’s not
possible to add formatting that is not contained in the source documents to your
Word documents directly within Déjà Vu X Professional , but you can enclose
words with certain characters (such as _these_ for italics and *these* for bold
formatting) and use Word’s AutoFormat feature (Tools>AutoFormat) to apply
the desired formatting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Apostrophes and quotes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »