Thread poster: Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur
Zsanett Rozendaal-Pandur  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 06:07
Dutch to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 29, 2006

In reply to one of my quick poll postings (where I wrote that I'd prefer to use DV to Trados if I could afford DV) someone wrote that DV doesn't cost that much. So I thought I'd double-check.

From what I see on the Atril website, it seems to me that DVX Pro costs 990 euros - or am I not seeing this correctly? (Having checked the features, I wouldn't want anything less than the Pro version.)

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:07
German to English
+ ...
30 days free trial Mar 29, 2006

Zsanett Pandur wrote:
From what I see on the Atril website, it seems to me that DVX Pro costs 990 euros - or am I not seeing this correctly? (Having checked the features, I wouldn't want anything less than the Pro version.)

I believe you're right on both counts (the price, and the need for at least the Pro version).
But you can start off with a 30 day free trial, without any limitation on the use of the program during that time. (Other programs limit the database capacity or some other feature in their demo version, but DVX merely limits the time).

If you have the right type of text, you may even get enough productivity gain in that time to finance your purchase.

Productivity depends very much on text type. On the website, Atril claims that you can double your translation speed with DVX, but that is normally not my experience. (Atril knows that I do not agree with that point.) However, I have occasionally done jobs in which I could reach four or five times the speed of "manual" translation. Some people get jobs like that regularly, I get them just once in a while (I usually work on very prosy jobs like contracts and architectural texts).
But I fully support the argument from quality -- I make far fewer errors than in the old "MS Word overwrite" or "type from fax" days, and terminology consistency is far better. And when I get that feeling "I've translated this word before, how did I solve it?", the answer is usually just a mouse click away (or less -- often it is automatically placed in my first draft of the target text even before I ask).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Price DVX Pro double-check

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »