Mobile menu

Exporting to UNCLEANED files impossible with DVX?
Thread poster: Joris Bogaert

Joris Bogaert  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:51
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
May 23, 2006

Hello,

I've just finished translating a big project (1 file) and a small one (2 small files). My client wants me to deliver an UNCLEANED translation. So I've imported my documents in order to export both source and target languages.

--) Exporting the big file, tho program wants me to fix manually all codes (ctr+copy and ctr.+past the whole way long) although I've checked and corrected all bacthes, numerals, embedded codes etc... there are more then 3000 codes

---) Exporting the small file, DVX delivers a CLEAN word file, a source and a target one (in other directories), but is it possible to deliver an UNCLEANED file in DVX???

---) What can I do to make my client happy?? Thanks!!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jacqueline van der Spek  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 18:51
Member
English to Dutch
+ ...
turn to the experts... May 23, 2006

Sorry but I can't help you (I work with DV3 still). Usually when a client asks for an unclean file they want it translated with Trados, IMHO. But why don't you post this question on the Yahoo DV list?



Good luck!

Jacqueline


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Import a pre-segmented file May 23, 2006

When you choose the import format Trados Workbench or Tageditor, DVX will only import the segmented parts.

So if the client wants a Trados uncleaned file, you have to pre-segment the file using Trados' pre-translation option and then import it into DVX. Then the export will also be an uncleaned Trados file.

HTH,
Harry


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Joris Bogaert  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:51
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Import a pre-segmented file May 23, 2006

Harry Bornemann wrote:

When you choose the import format Trados Workbench or Tageditor, DVX will only import the segmented parts.

So if the client wants a Trados uncleaned file, you have to pre-segment the file using Trados' pre-translation option and then import it into DVX. Then the export will also be an uncleaned Trados file.

HTH,
Harry


Thank you Harry,

Does that mean I have to pretranslate with Trados (not using a converted DVX memory) in order to have the file segmented. Import it, retranslate it (helped by my DVX TM) and export it?
Sorry, I'm not so exert

Thanks!


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
You may use a converted DVX memory May 23, 2006

Joris Bogaert wrote:
Does that mean I have to pretranslate with Trados (not using a converted DVX memory) in order to have the file segmented. Import it, retranslate it (helped by my DVX TM) and export it?


It depends. Usually, I pretranslate with an empty TM, but in some cases it makes sense to use a Trados TM from the client or a MultiTerm database (if you happen to have one) or as you suggested, a converted DVX memory.

But the Trados and DVX TMs are not quite compatibel, because of their different tag format.

The most important point for pretranslation with Trados is to make sure the box "Segment unknown sentences" is checked.

Harry


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Joris Bogaert  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:51
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DVX imports double source text May 23, 2006

Dear Harry,

Thanks for your reply.
I tried to make it as you described. The only problem is that DVX imports the source text TWICE. Is there any way to make this not happen and to maintain the UNCLEANED format when exporting?
Thanks a lot,

Joris


Harry Bornemann wrote:

Joris Bogaert wrote:
Does that mean I have to pretranslate with Trados (not using a converted DVX memory) in order to have the file segmented. Import it, retranslate it (helped by my DVX TM) and export it?


It depends. Usually, I pretranslate with an empty TM, but in some cases it makes sense to use a Trados TM from the client or a MultiTerm database (if you happen to have one) or as you suggested, a converted DVX memory.

But the Trados and DVX TMs are not quite compatibel, because of their different tag format.

The most important point for pretranslation with Trados is to make sure the box "Segment unknown sentences" is checked.

Harry


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
TagEditor workaround May 23, 2006

Joris Bogaert wrote:
The only problem is that DVX imports the source text TWICE. Is there any way to make this not happen and to maintain the UNCLEANED format when exporting?

Dear Joris,

I have no idea what went wrong with this, but a possible workaround could be to save the source files in RTF format to open them in Tageditor.

By saving them from there, you would automatically create TTX files.

Then you could pretranslate these TTX files using an empty Trados TM and import these segmented TTX files to DVX, to translate them from the DVX memory (using the DVX pretranslation option, or Ctrl+Down with AutoAssemble activated).

This approach would also have the advantage that you could verify the tags in Tageditor after exporting the translation from DVX. (TagEditor can check them more strictly.)

HTH,
Harry


[Edited at 2006-05-23 12:27]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Joris Bogaert  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:51
Italian to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved May 23, 2006

Dear Harry,

Thank you very much for your help.
I was starting to panic, as I have to deliver to job today and could'nt poceed in UNCLEANED exporting...
I told my client I was in trouble, and fortunately they said it was ok if I delivered my TM for this job (in TMX format), which is the easiest thing to do.
Next time they ask me to deliver uncleaned files, I will translate STARTING from a segmented file (by Trados), translate it within DVX and export it.

Thank you very much

Joris



Harry Bornemann wrote:

Joris Bogaert wrote:
The only problem is that DVX imports the source text TWICE. Is there any way to make this not happen and to maintain the UNCLEANED format when exporting?

Dear Joris,

I have no idea what went wrong with this, but a possible workaround could be to save the source files in RTF format to open them in Tageditor.

By saving them from there, you would automatically create TTX files.

Then you could pretranslate these TTX files using an empty Trados TM and import these segmented TTX files to DVX, to translate them from the DVX memory (using the DVX pretranslation option, or Ctrl+Down with AutoAssemble activated).

This approach would also have the advantage that you could verify the tags in Tageditor after exporting the translation from DVX. (TagEditor can check them more strictly.)

HTH,
Harry


[Edited at 2006-05-23 12:27]


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exporting to UNCLEANED files impossible with DVX?

Advanced search






Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs