Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:25
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Oct 4, 2006

Hello

I've worked on a 5 files project and I've exported them as usual. One of the files looks really weird (in MSWord)
\par }\pard \ql \li0\ri0\widctlpar\aspalpha\aspnum\faauto\adjustright\rin0\lin0\itap0\pararsid2053475 {La seule cuve qui a r\uc1\u233\'e9duit de plusieurs millions de dollars les co\uc1\u251\'fbts de stockage des vins australiens et am\uc1\u233\'e9ricains. \par
\par En Australie et aux \uc1\u201\'c9tats-Unis, les cuves r\uc1\u233\'e9frig\uc1\u233\'e9r\uc1\u233\'e9es sont l'une des raisons de l'excellente qualit\uc1\u233\'e9 des vins de ces pays. Cependant les co\uc1\u251\'fbts d'\uc1\u233\'e9nergie se sont multipli\uc1\u233\'e9s ces derni\uc1\u232\'e8res ann\uc1\u233\'e9es.\par

I reexported it (only that file), but it doesn't change anything. In DV it looks fine and it's the first time this happens to me.

Thanks for any help.

Claudia

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:25
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Try copying and resaving source document in original format Oct 4, 2006

I don't use DV3 anymore, but that shouldn't make any difference for this problem. When something like this happens, I assume there must be something funny about the original document.

Try copying the source document into a new Word file, save that, then import into DV and "retranslate."

If that doesn't work, you might want to check the language code in the document. Maybe that's what you need to change?

Yolanda

Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:25
German to English
+ ...
Word lost its marbles? Oct 4, 2006

Claudia Iglesias wrote:
Hello
I've worked on a 5 files project and I've exported them as usual. One of the files looks really weird (in MSWord)
\par }\pard \ql \li0\ri0\widctlpar\aspalpha\aspnum\faauto\adjustright\rin0\lin0\itap0\pararsid2053475 {La seule cuve qui a r\uc1\u233\'e9duit de plusieurs millions de dollars les co\uc1\u251\'fbts de stockage des vins australiens et am\uc1\u233\'e9ricains. \par
\par En Australie et aux \uc1\u201\'c9tats-Unis, les cuves r\uc1\u233\'e9frig\uc1\u233\'e9r\uc1\u233\'e9es sont l'une des raisons de l'excellente qualit\uc1\u233\'e9 des vins de ces pays. Cependant les co\uc1\u251\'fbts d'\uc1\u233\'e9nergie se sont multipli\uc1\u233\'e9s ces derni\uc1\u232\'e8res ann\uc1\u233\'e9es.\par

I reexported it (only that file), but it doesn't change anything. In DV it looks fine and it's the first time this happens to me.
Thanks for any help.
Claudia

Looks to me as if Word no longer recognises its own file - something seems to be broken in the Word file.
2 ideas occur to me:

1. Close Word, and rename the file suffix (in Explorer) from .doc to something that your computer will not recognise, such as .sux
Then open Word, and try to open the file from within the program. It will (probably) ask you what filter to use and offer you a list. From then it's trial and error.

2. Open the source file and save it under another name (i.e. a different incarnation of Word, or perhaps RTF). Then import this file into your DV3 project, pretranslate (should be almost instant because it's already in your TM, just a bit of tweaking needed), then export. Should be OK now.

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Corrupt RTF file Oct 4, 2006

Hello Claudia,

What you see in Word is an RTF file that is interpreted by Word as plain text.

Have you verified that all codes are OK in DV (no codes are missing or rearranged on the target side)?

Have you tried making a copy of your project and populating the offending file (= copying the source text to the target side)? If after populating (which ensures that all codes are 100% ok), the problem is still there, then a likely reason is that the conversion
... See more
Hello Claudia,

What you see in Word is an RTF file that is interpreted by Word as plain text.

Have you verified that all codes are OK in DV (no codes are missing or rearranged on the target side)?

Have you tried making a copy of your project and populating the offending file (= copying the source text to the target side)? If after populating (which ensures that all codes are 100% ok), the problem is still there, then a likely reason is that the conversion process Word -> RTF -> DV -> RTF -> Word corrupts the file, which is very unfortunate since there is no easy fix to that. You could try opening the exported file with OpenOffice; or you could try presegmenting the file in Trados and re-importing to DV (and re-translating from the TM).

If the populated file exports fine, there is probably a code problem in your project.

Endre
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Looks like an RTF file Oct 4, 2006

that got renamed to "Text only" something - and/or read into Word as such. I just second what EB said.

Rename it to RTF and see it cook the proper way...

[Edited at 2006-10-04 14:27]

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 18:25
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Oct 4, 2006

THANK YOU!

Well, I first tried Yolanda's and Victor's second suggestion, copying the original text in a new Word document, naming it something_BIS, re"translating" it (I like that pretranslate option!) and...it worked!

The codes looked fine in source and target languages.

I also tried (just to test) changing to RTF , but it didn't change anything.

Great to have you there!

Claudia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Exported file looks weird (DV3)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »