Mobile menu

Autosend to memory database - should be on or off
Thread poster: Piotr Sawiec

Piotr Sawiec  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:45
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 28, 2007

Normally I have it on (Deja Vu 3). My reasoning was that if I translate a segment and have it sent to the memory database, it will be used for assembling of sentences below that, for example, consist of two such segments. After completing the translation, I used to send the project to memory database with deleting the old segments to keep my database clean of all incorrect entries (like after accidentally pressing CTRL+arrowdown).
On the other hand, sometimes there is a short segment that could be added to the database (like 3-4 words), but after cleaning the database it will disappear. Deleting the old matches also deletes entries for Spell Check.
My question is, if I turn off Autosend, will I be able to use the segments from earlier fragments of the text? Autopropagate propagates only whole segments, not parts of them. And assembling sentences from segments is what I like most in DejaVu.

Piotr

Direct link Reply with quote

Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Use the TDB Jan 28, 2007

You could send the short segments to the TDB (or the lexicon if they are just specific to the one project). Then you don't have to keep changing your MDB settings.

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That is what I have been doing Jan 28, 2007

Thanks Victor, I have been doing it for some time now, but I am a bit uncomfortable with larger terms, like 4-5 words. And it significantly increased the time of pretranslation and assembling sentences. An idea has just shown up, it would be good to use two databases, one permanent for all projects (and to export segments to this database by Ctrl+F12), and one smaller only for this project, and thus segments would be added to it by pressing Ctrl+arrowdown. But I do not think that I can do that, or maybe I can?

Piotr

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:45
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...
Lexicon Jan 28, 2007

For specific projects, I've always used the Lexicon. This means that names of companies with common nouns in them, for instance, can be saved for use throughout the current translation without having to clutter up my TDB.

David Turner  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
On I'd say Jan 29, 2007

I'm not sure I follow your reasons for having AutoSend turned off, but I would say it should be on to gain maximum leverage from AutoAssemble and Assemble.
With DV3, you can only attach one MDB to the project.
With DVX professional, you can attach two, one of which (your main MDB) could be set to read only, and the other (project MDB) to read/write.
You can also send selected portions of sentences to the memory database (F12 in DVX).
HTH.

David Turner

[Edited at 2007-01-29 07:14]

English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I have it turned on Jan 29, 2007

David, I do have it turned on. But what are my reasons?
If it is on, then whenever you press Ctrl+DownArrow it will send your segment to the memory database, if you make a mistake you have to correct it, and that will make two entries in your database with the same original sentence.
Of course DV can select the newer one for autotranslation, autoassemble etc. but still the memory database expands.
So what I do after spellcheck is to send the project again to the database with deleting old sentences from this project, and it also removes this incorrect translations I mentioned above.
But there is a catch, since I also send selected portions to the database during translation (Ctrl+F12). And when I send the project to the database, I delete the portions that I purposefully sent there.
What I also noticed is that deleting the old entries when sending the current project to the database removes words added to the SpellCheck dictionary.
You could ask, why bother deleting the invalid entries and losing these valuable segments. My memory database used to grow to over 50 MB, and since I started the above activities it has grown only a little.
Maybe I should think about moving to DVX (I could use two MDBs)? But the cost is substantial.
Piotr

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Autosend to memory database - should be on or off

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs