Importing .ttx files with filter into DejaVU: are they compatible?
Thread poster: Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee
Jason Willis-Lee  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 10, 2007

Hi there

I work regularly with DejaVu and in order to keep a regular customer smiling I agree to pretranslate word files with Trados and import them into DVI with the filter Trados Workbench.

I recently tried doing the same for a ttx Trados TagEditor file (used to process excel and powerpoint formats) only to come up against the reply "DejaVU was unable to import the following files". I have attempted this using both ttx and TagEditor filters.

What I am d
... See more
Hi there

I work regularly with DejaVu and in order to keep a regular customer smiling I agree to pretranslate word files with Trados and import them into DVI with the filter Trados Workbench.

I recently tried doing the same for a ttx Trados TagEditor file (used to process excel and powerpoint formats) only to come up against the reply "DejaVU was unable to import the following files". I have attempted this using both ttx and TagEditor filters.

What I am doing wrong?

Thanks,
Jason.
Collapse

Selcuk Akyuz
Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 15:46
English to Turkish
+ ...
Similar problem here (solved) Jul 10, 2007

I have received an InDesign project prepared with TagEditor. As it was not easy to find the text among so many tags (more than 50 tags for one segment) I wanted to use Deja Vu. However, Deja Vu couldn't import the file. And now I am suffering a very low translation speed due to the unfriendly screen of TagEditor. I asked the agency to use Deja Vu next time.
Using TagEditor for PowerPoint is not so bad, but with Indesign files it is a real trouble.

-----------------------------
... See more
I have received an InDesign project prepared with TagEditor. As it was not easy to find the text among so many tags (more than 50 tags for one segment) I wanted to use Deja Vu. However, Deja Vu couldn't import the file. And now I am suffering a very low translation speed due to the unfriendly screen of TagEditor. I asked the agency to use Deja Vu next time.
Using TagEditor for PowerPoint is not so bad, but with Indesign files it is a real trouble.

------------------------------
Now I tried once more with the correct workflow and Deja Vu easily imported the file. I have translated some segments and converted back, and as experts say "translating Trados files with Deja Vu is much more easier".

[Edited at 2007-07-10 11:38]
Collapse

Klaus Herrmann
Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:46
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Segment unknown sentences Jul 10, 2007

Make sure to check Segment unknown sentences in Workbench. This should solve the problem.

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:46
English to German
+ ...
Newest version? Jul 10, 2007

As well as the notorious "segment unknown sentences" checkbox you should make sure that you upgraded to the latest DVX version 7.5.302 for full compatibility with new Trados files.

Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)
Alice Wolfe, DDS (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:46
English to Danish
+ ...
Similar problem here, unsolved Dec 7, 2007

ARRGGGHHHH... tags, tags, tags.. I tried to import ttx files into DVX with the Segment Unknown Sentences checked in both DVX and Workbench, to no avail, but I am wondering if the error could have been made by the TA during the conversion from whatever format they had into TagEditor?
Could I potentially get DVX-friendly files if I asked the TA to re-convert the files with the Segment Unknown Sentences checked?
Thank you in advance for any replies.
Alice

Harry Bornemann
Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:46
English to German
+ ...
Everything checked? Dec 7, 2007

Alice Wolfe, DDS wrote:
ARRGGGHHHH... tags, tags, tags.. I tried to import ttx files into DVX with the Segment Unknown Sentences checked in both DVX and Workbench,

There is no "Segment Unknown Sentences" in DVX.
Maybe you mean "Prevent Segmentation"?

Anyway, did you check that you have:
1.) tried both "Trados TTX" and "Trados Tageditor" import formats?
2.) the newest version 7.5.302?

The "Segment Unknown Sentences" function only affects whether the sentences will be imported (i.e. only the segmented ones), but it does not affect any error message, and the "Prevent Segmentation" option only prevents a finer segmentation than the one already present in the TTX file.

[Edited at 2007-12-07 20:50]

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 13:46
German to English
+ ...
Overview of working with TTX in DVX Jan 16, 2008

Here's a summary that might be useful for this:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/1610/1/

Some formats like InDesign tend to give you tag/code salad - the problem here is generally how the users work with the DTP tool, not the CAT tool. I always look carefully at those jobs and end up refusing a good number of them for that very re
... See more
Here's a summary that might be useful for this:

http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/1610/1/

Some formats like InDesign tend to give you tag/code salad - the problem here is generally how the users work with the DTP tool, not the CAT tool. I always look carefully at those jobs and end up refusing a good number of them for that very reason.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Pavel Tsvetkov[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing .ttx files with filter into DejaVU: are they compatible?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »