Michael Kazakov
Michael Kazakov  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 04:40
English to Russian
+ ...
What fixes? Aug 15, 2010

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
Most - possibly all - of the features I'd want are already there. For the first time I finally read through the whole 150-page manual, and discovered them.

Just wondering: what fixes do you think it needs? You said you successfully translated a PDF file - was the file just plain text or complex (graphics, tables, etc.)?

Thanks for sharing the link, this program looks amazing. If it is capable to do what it claims in the translation tutorial demo, than this program would be a "must-have" for translation the distilled PDFs (not scanned images).

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:40
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
InFix - What fixes? Aug 15, 2010

Michael Kazakov wrote:
Just wondering: what fixes do you think it needs? You said you successfully translated a PDF file - was the file just plain text or complex (graphics, tables, etc.)?

The files (actually two) I translated were of average complexity. One was a single-page double-column text with a couple of pictures, the other was a 17-page document with several pictures I was requested not to translate (client will replace them) and one rather messy flowchart with pix and text (which I had to translate). Several, but not too many, font changes, indentations, bullets, etc.

As the program stands now (v4.19), the problems I had were:

• Difficulty in selecting several individual objets at the same time to align them automatically. This may be because I'm temporarily using a very bad mouse (reasons irrelevant here) while a new one is on its way.
  • Trouble with adjusting overset text, in changing text frames' size in terms of "coverage" and not stretching the text as an image. Though this could be caused by the mouse, I don't think so.

Apart from these two, InFix is amazingly functional!

The major difficulties stem from the original PDF files I got from the client.

As very few people in this world consistently format their text in Word (which IMHO is no more than a sci-fi-bloated typewriter), when the text changes in length, there is often a lot to fix.

Another issue is partially embedded fonts. This job was easy, because it was PT-EN, so all the PT diacritics vanished. Were it the other way around, viz. EN-PT, I'd have to supplement all these diacritics by changing or re-embedding fonts... no accented letters would have been embedded in English. Adobe enhances this problem while converting all 'Arial' into 'Helvetica' as well as other "Microsoft-to-Adobe" font conversions during PDF distillation.

Bear in mind that I'm not talking about InFix here, but the process as a whole, compared to the old way without InFix, e.g. using SolidConverter from PDF into DOC, translation, and then DOC into PDF using Acrobat. When you open this converted DOC file in Word, you have the complete fonts available, and PDF distillation will re-subsample the fonts (if so requested).

So I would suggest to those using InFix to first check all partially embedded 'unavailable' fonts in the original and replace* them with 'available' others. Some companies (one example I know is General Electric) use proprietary fonts, which might be impossible to get, if you are translating their stuff for a mere local distributor of their products. So it is advisable for translators dealing with PDFs to identify* these fonts and advise the client (via agency if it's the case) that either you get me that font, or authorize me to use whatever font I consider similar or adequate.

*In this case, read the InFix manual, it explains how to do both.

[Edited at 2010-08-15 14:13 GMT]

Mauricio Coitiño
Mauricio Coitiño  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Free PDF publishing tool Nov 1, 2010

This PDF converter/maker gets installed as a printer in your system, thus allowing you to publish PDF files from any software that includes the Print option.
Give it a try and please comment.
You can get it here www.dopdf.com
Enjoy,

Mauricio

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:40
German to Spanish
+ ...
Free PDF publishing tool Nov 1, 2010

Mauricio Coitiño wrote:

This PDF converter/maker gets installed as a printer in your system, thus allowing you to publish PDF files from any software that includes the Print option.
Enjoy,

Mauricio

¿From any software or from any MS-Software?
Since Office 2007 you are able to save documents as PDF or XPS from any MS application with a free MS add-in you can download here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=4d951911-3e7e-4ae6-b059-a2e79ed87041

Riadh Muslih (X)
Riadh Muslih (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:40
Arabic to English
+ ...
Why scan a PDF Nov 2, 2010

Maria Katerska wrote:

You can scan the document using Fine Reader which converts it into a Word file. In most cases it works perfectly!

Why scan a PDF file? You will still get a PDF, JPG or some other image format. If you want to convert a PDF file to text, and presumably you have a legit copy of a PDF (not the free reader version), you can do an OCR - Optical Character Recognition. Save that to a word processing file and do your work.

Someone said a PDF is a scanned document. Not always so, and in todays electronic world, it's less likely. Most PDF files today are created electronically from the native files, not scanned.

Mauricio Coitiño
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
About doPDF free PDF tool Nov 3, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:

Mauricio Coitiño wrote:

Enjoy,

Mauricio

¿From any software or from any MS-Software?
Since Office 2007 you are able to save documents as PDF or XPS from any MS application with a free MS add-in you can download here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=4d951911-3e7e-4ae6-b059-a2e79ed87041

You can publish form ANY tool that has a Prin option. For instance, I use it to print digital invoices from Quickbooks.
Good question!

Mauricio

Mauricio Coitiño
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For the processing of image PDF, I would prefer FineReader Mar 12, 2011

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Thank you, efreitag, but which is better? Abbyy Fine Reader 9 or Abbyy PDF Transfomer? The first costs 400 USD and the second 60 USD. Am I missing something?

[Edited at 2009-08-22 21:50 GMT]

Dear Yaotl,

While Abbyy Transformer is originally intended for PDF edition and creation from different formats, Abbyy FineReader is a very complete converter of images and image PDFs into editable texts.
I have noted that Transformer can turn image PDF into searchable PDF (i.e. editable PDF files), but that's not something we can use for easy translation.
I guess this explains the price difference
Good luck,

Mauricio

[Editado a las 2011-03-12 23:40 GMT]

[Editado a las 2011-03-12 23:41 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tips for PDF translation

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »