Jose Ruivo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:23
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
May 16, 2011

Good afternoon,

I’m working in an InDesign project and I’m having some problems with missing fonts. When I open InDesign I get an error message saying that are several fonts missing. Although when I received the project I also received a folder with these and other fonts (in .otf format), which I’ve installed (and also copied into the fonts folder of windows) but I get the same error message. Can someone tell me how to get InDesign to recognize all the fonts I need, which I ha
... See more
Good afternoon,

I’m working in an InDesign project and I’m having some problems with missing fonts. When I open InDesign I get an error message saying that are several fonts missing. Although when I received the project I also received a folder with these and other fonts (in .otf format), which I’ve installed (and also copied into the fonts folder of windows) but I get the same error message. Can someone tell me how to get InDesign to recognize all the fonts I need, which I have received from the client and thought I had installed?

Best regards,
José Ruivo
Collapse

Sorour
Sorour
Local time: 11:23
Italian to Arabic
+ ...
MAC or WIN font? May 16, 2011

ask if the Indesign file was created in WIN or MAC platform (font included), some type of font can't work in both platform.

Darío Giménez
Darío Giménez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
compatible OpenType fonts May 16, 2011

Hi,
As far as I know, that should not be the problem. The OTF file format was developed by Adobe to solve the incompatibility issue of sharing fonts between Mac and PC.
Sorry, Jose, but I can't help more because I use only Mac, not Windows PC, and never had this problem before.

D.

John Robinson
John Robinson
United States
Local time: 06:23
InDesign's font folder May 16, 2011

It might be worth a try to place the fonts in InDesign's own font folder.

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done it already May 17, 2011

Hi

jmrobinson wrote:

It might be worth a try to place the fonts in InDesign's own font folder.

I've already done that. Both in InDesign's Font folder and Windows Fonts folder.

Now I'm suspecting that the missing fonts are not among those the client sent us - is Frutiger 67 Bold Condensed the same, or diferent than Frutiger Bold Condensed?? I have Frutiger Bold Condensed but Indesign still complains it can't find Frutiger 67 Bold Condensed

Any clues?

TIA,
José Ruivo

Darío Giménez
Darío Giménez  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
more than a suspicion, then May 17, 2011

It probably is what you just said: those missing fonts were not supplied by the client. Frutiger Bold Condensed and Frutiger 67 Bold Condensed are two versions (usually identical, but not always) of the same font but from two different type foundries.
IMO, you have three options here: ask the client to supply the proper fonts, look for them by yourself, or replace the missing fonts by versions from other foundries that you might have already installed (a bit risky).

Cheers an
... See more
It probably is what you just said: those missing fonts were not supplied by the client. Frutiger Bold Condensed and Frutiger 67 Bold Condensed are two versions (usually identical, but not always) of the same font but from two different type foundries.
IMO, you have three options here: ask the client to supply the proper fonts, look for them by yourself, or replace the missing fonts by versions from other foundries that you might have already installed (a bit risky).

Cheers and good luck!
D.

[Editado a las 2011-05-17 08:48 GMT]
Collapse

Jose Ruivo
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot! May 17, 2011

Hi Dario,

Darío wrote:

D.

[Editado a las 2011-05-17 08:48 GMT]

Thanks a lot for clarifying that!

I've asked the client to either supply the fonts, or indicate which fonts I should use for replacing the missing ones. I'm not interested iin investing in fonts right now, and won't risk replacing the missing fonts at my own risk.

Best,
José Ruivo

Ulrich Leininger
Ulrich Leininger  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Name differences Jan 8, 2012

My answer obviously comes a bit late, but just for future readers: Sometimes, the name of the font as required by the InDesign document is slightly different from the font name according to the font file so that InDesign doesn't recognize it. Open the font file (eg. OTF) and look for the font name there as this can be slightly different from the file name. Decide whether it is the font you need and if so, replace it for the missing font in the corresponding InDesign dialogue. (I don't have a gen... See more
My answer obviously comes a bit late, but just for future readers: Sometimes, the name of the font as required by the InDesign document is slightly different from the font name according to the font file so that InDesign doesn't recognize it. Open the font file (eg. OTF) and look for the font name there as this can be slightly different from the file name. Decide whether it is the font you need and if so, replace it for the missing font in the corresponding InDesign dialogue. (I don't have a general rule for deciding whether it's the same or not, but some cases are obvious enough.)Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Help with fonts in InDesign please

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »