José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Mar 17, 2014

For those colleagues who would like to see the process without actually having to give it a try, I've done an illustrated walkthrough of such a project with the major highlights at:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/translating-a-pdf.html

This one above is in English. Anyone more comfortable with BR Portuguese may use:
... See more
For those colleagues who would like to see the process without actually having to give it a try, I've done an illustrated walkthrough of such a project with the major highlights at:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/translating-a-pdf.html

This one above is in English. Anyone more comfortable with BR Portuguese may use:
http://www.lamensdorf.com.br/traduzindo-pdf.html
Collapse

Diana Obermeyer
Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:25
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Brilliant! Mar 17, 2014

This is brilliant. Thanks a million.

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
Local time: 07:25
German to English
Great tutorial Mar 18, 2014

I tried the demo version of Infix on a simple document and was really impressed with the result. although I didn't delve to deeply and wasn't aware of its full capability. Great information. Thanks!

[Edited at 2014-03-18 08:52 GMT]

James Greenfield
James Greenfield  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
Word 2013 an alternative? Mar 18, 2014

I had a an offer from an agency to translate a large PDF document yesterday and turned it down as I thought it would be difficult to reproduce. I only remembered half an hour later that Word 2013 enables you to edit PDF documents and I would have been fine. By that time the translation had been assigned to someone else. Word 2013 is an alternative, although I think maybe Infix has additional functions and also the cost of word 2013 may be higher.

Jane Proctor (X)
Jane Proctor (X)  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:25
French to English
Hi James Mar 18, 2014

Recently I upgraded to Office 365, which includes Word 2013. Via subscription. Can't recall exactly how much but it wasn't all that expensive, not when you consider how powerful it is. And yes, I suddenly found I could convert pdf files to Word without any additional tool/cost Sort of makes a mockery of pdfs though! HOWEVER, I think there must be different levels of pdf security, because last week I came across a file it didn't o... See more
Recently I upgraded to Office 365, which includes Word 2013. Via subscription. Can't recall exactly how much but it wasn't all that expensive, not when you consider how powerful it is. And yes, I suddenly found I could convert pdf files to Word without any additional tool/cost Sort of makes a mockery of pdfs though! HOWEVER, I think there must be different levels of pdf security, because last week I came across a file it didn't offer to convert and I had to ask the client to resend it in Word... although even then there may have been a way round it, maybe I just didn't look hard enough...

[Edited at 2014-03-18 17:04 GMT]
Collapse

James Greenfield
James Greenfield  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2013)
French to English
+ ...
Hi Jane Mar 18, 2014

Yes it is a useful part of word 2013, it can't of course translate PDF documents that are images, you would then need some other software. Also, I discovered via a good blog that you can convert PDF documents to docs using Trados studio: http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/how-to-use-trados-studio-as-a-pdf-converter/
It also explains how to then
... See more
Yes it is a useful part of word 2013, it can't of course translate PDF documents that are images, you would then need some other software. Also, I discovered via a good blog that you can convert PDF documents to docs using Trados studio: http://foxdocs.biz/BetweenTranslations/how-to-use-trados-studio-as-a-pdf-converter/
It also explains how to then translate the document using trados studio:
'If you need to, you can now translate the document in Trados Studio. However, there is likely to be some extra formatting that you’ll want to remove prior to translation. If so, you can sort this out in the Word document before reimporting it into Studio in Word format.'

Another thing that occurred to me is that it might be cheaper for you in the long run to get a copy of Office Home and student 2013 when your existing subscription runs out. I only paid £100 and it has word, excel, powerpoint etc. I don't know too much about the added features of the subscription service though.
Collapse

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:25
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Of course it CAN be done with Word, Acrobat, Trados, WFA... Mar 18, 2014

There are several ways now to translate a PDF.

• Word can open PDF files, however it is still a word processor, hence a terrible tool for DTP adjustments.
  • Acrobat can export to Word, which results in the same situation.
  • Trados, WFA, and maybe other CAT tools can go into a PDF, InDesign files., etc, however there are still post-translation... See more
  • There are several ways now to translate a PDF.

• Word can open PDF files, however it is still a word processor, hence a terrible tool for DTP adjustments.
  • Acrobat can export to Word, which results in the same situation.
  • Trados, WFA, and maybe other CAT tools can go into a PDF, InDesign files., etc, however there are still post-translation layout issues to be solved.

The intent in publishing this entire walkthrough was to show one more way to do it.

Quite honestly, as a power PageMaker user for 20+ years, it's a lot easier to do such adjustments there than on Infix, mostly due to the way a PDF is structured. Friends say that, considering my experience, it would take me longer to install InDesgn than to learn how to use it.

The problem is that PageMaker never gave me access to DTP-ed files created with FrameMaker, QuarkXPress, MS Publisher (argh!), or PagePlus. Each one has its own incompatible proprietary files.

Since the translator won't create new layout, just reshape/rebuild the existing layout with a different (translated) text, this solution enables one to: a) separate translation from layout work (which some CAT tools do as well); AND serve (on PDF files) ALL DTP apps files.

[Edited at 2014-03-18 22:21 GMT] ▲ Collapse

•  

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
    Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A PDF translation using Infix walkthrough

CafeTran Espresso
    You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
    Anycount & Translation Office 3000
    Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »