Ahmed Soliman
Ahmed Soliman
Germany
Local time: 12:13
German to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 20, 2016

Hello,

A client has sent me a translated file o proofread it. He has sent me 3 files: pdf, idml, indd.

I do not know what the best way to prooefread the file.

1. The idml file does not show the images. The idml file I have worked in it With my Wordfast Pro, but I afraid to deliver the file without the preview of the images

2. The indd shows the images but I can not open in WFP. Should I work direcktly in indd file. The client has asked me if
... See more
Hello,

A client has sent me a translated file o proofread it. He has sent me 3 files: pdf, idml, indd.

I do not know what the best way to prooefread the file.

1. The idml file does not show the images. The idml file I have worked in it With my Wordfast Pro, but I afraid to deliver the file without the preview of the images

2. The indd shows the images but I can not open in WFP. Should I work direcktly in indd file. The client has asked me if I could make the changes in the idml. To make this I used (1),but what should I do with the preview of the images

I have converted the indd to idml but the pictures don't show (only as grey areas)

Have you experience on this

With Thanks
Ahmed

[Edited at 2016-02-20 10:40 GMT]
Collapse

Joakim Braun
Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 12:13
German to Swedish
+ ...
Probably not a problem Feb 20, 2016

Do the images contain text, or anything that is relevant to the translation?
If not, then don't worry about it.

.idml files are XML files and are not supposed to contain images. .idml is a format for file interchange between different versions of Indesign.

The edited .idml is typically opened in Indesign by a designer who takes care of the image relinking.

If you wonder what your translation looks like in the Indesign layout (a discouraging experienc
... See more
Do the images contain text, or anything that is relevant to the translation?
If not, then don't worry about it.

.idml files are XML files and are not supposed to contain images. .idml is a format for file interchange between different versions of Indesign.

The edited .idml is typically opened in Indesign by a designer who takes care of the image relinking.

If you wonder what your translation looks like in the Indesign layout (a discouraging experience, because you will find your text overflows its alotted space, with bad line breaks, weird text placement and so on) - well, then get Indesign. With the current subscription model it's not expensive short-term.

(I'm assuming you've undertaken to deliver an .idml file. Otherwise there may be trouble ahead. You will be able to open the .idml file in Indesign, but there will be lots of finetuning and copy-editing needed. Anyone can learn Indesign, but it's NOT for the occasional user - it requires knowledge and experience.)

[Bearbeitet am 2016-02-20 19:12 GMT]
Collapse

onur ilter

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

proofreading a translation in a idml file

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »