Piero Intonti
Piero Intonti  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 04:41
Italian to English
+ ...
Dec 16, 2016

Hello!

I'll try to explain my issue. I will appreciate your suggestions. I'm translating a pdf file with the help of Trans.pdf and Trados 2015. I realised that Trados has not imported a part of the text for any age of the document ( the same text for any page). I don't know why at all. Probably the issue is caused by the Indesign native file format. Then, I have noted that the text in question appears if the pdf is opened with Adobe Reader and disappears when is opened by PDF Infix
... See more
Hello!

I'll try to explain my issue. I will appreciate your suggestions. I'm translating a pdf file with the help of Trans.pdf and Trados 2015. I realised that Trados has not imported a part of the text for any age of the document ( the same text for any page). I don't know why at all. Probably the issue is caused by the Indesign native file format. Then, I have noted that the text in question appears if the pdf is opened with Adobe Reader and disappears when is opened by PDF Infix Pro. Two snapshots follow. Thanks a lot.

Piero
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:41
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oh, snap! Dec 16, 2016

Hi, Piero, I don't see the snap shots.

Questions:
a) What is the deliverable or file format your client wants the translation into?
b) Have you tried to open the PDF in Acrobat and save it to MS Word?

I regularly work with InDesign and I hope I can help.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:41
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Which version of Infix? Dec 17, 2016

Ciao, Piero.

PDF files are like a movie set. They are intended to look and print good in Acrobat Reader, however you don't see on film how much of it was merely jerry-rigged with duct tape, wire or string.

InDesign, from the very same Adobe that created PDF, is a master of illusion. It creates stunning publications, and the reader is not expected to care for what is real, and what isn't.

Infix, on its turn, is the license to trespass into that "movie set" w
... See more
Ciao, Piero.

PDF files are like a movie set. They are intended to look and print good in Acrobat Reader, however you don't see on film how much of it was merely jerry-rigged with duct tape, wire or string.

InDesign, from the very same Adobe that created PDF, is a master of illusion. It creates stunning publications, and the reader is not expected to care for what is real, and what isn't.

Infix, on its turn, is the license to trespass into that "movie set" with a magnifying glass, a flashlight, and a large toolbox.

PageMaker, InDesign's "father" was based on the paste-up art studio paradigm. That's how both work. Hence you are allowed to have countless overlapping layers of "stuff", with adjustable transparency. To give you a clear idea, if there is anything "unwanted" on a publication, you can delete it or... cover it with a patch of white paper.

To give you an example, once I translated a product manual using Infix. Yes, the original PDF was created with InDesign by less than careful/skilled DTP operators. I recall having translated - using WordFast on exported text - eight patches of text showing the old company address among other things. Yet the PDF showed only one. Investigation with Infix led me to discover all these eight interlayered with twelve overlapping opaque white paper patches!

Another one... a company newsletter. A 1/2" dia. portrait of a man was placed by his name at the top of an article he had written. As I found out on Infix, that portrait was masked out from a hi-res full-body group shot with him and some 50 others. They simply masked everything but his face, however the picture represented a several hundred megabytes of dead weight embedded in that PDF file!

Iceni has been making steady progress with Infix. Current version is 7.1.1. Shift+Ctrl+left-click with the arrow tool on a spot should let you run through all overlapped layers. Perhaps making some of them transparent or merely deleting them will show what's behind. My take is that Adobe Acrobat Reader will always cover-up Adobe InDesign's tricks.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

troubles with some part of a pdf file

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »